The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 8, 2007, 07:08 PM   #1
jeo556

Glass Beding a Synthetic Stock?????

I have a Ruger M77 II and was wondering if anyone had glass bedded a ruger synthetic stock. After removing the stock from the action it seems as though there is very little contact between the stock and action. It also looks as though there really isn't anywhere were I could get additional contack between the stock and action as the interior of the stock is totally hollow. Does anyone have any ideas or should I just suck it up and purchase a aftermarket stock? While I have your attention, any suggestions on aftermarket stocks? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jaybird
Old August 8, 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
tINY

Are you having accuracy problems?

You can always fill the voids with epoxy, but you may not need to.

If you do bed a platic stock, make sure you drill holes at different angles into the plasic to get a mechanical lock (like a keystone). The epoxy tends not to stick to nylon very well.

-tINY

Old August 8, 2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Scorch

Like Tiny said, bedding compounds do not stick well to the plastics stocks are molded from. If you rough up the contact areas and give the epoxy a good hold, it will work well to fill in the recoil lug and tang area, but will not work where you won't have pressure holding it in place, like the forearm.

I always recommend that people buy an aftermarket stock if they can afford to do so. Typically, I recommend Lee Six, MPI, some B&C and MacMillan stocks. Make sure whatever you buy that it is a laid-up fiberglass (or Kevlar or graphite) cloth stock. This will ensure epoxy will stick to it and it can be repaired/bedded/altered if necessary.
Old August 9, 2007, 03:25 PM   #4
jeo556

Thanks for the info guys. The stock is plastic and I am aware that the epoxy has some trouble sticking to the plastic, however my main concern is that there is amost no contact between the stock and action. I guess that I will have to go looking for a aftermarket and save the epoxy for a worthy stock. Thanks again.
Old August 9, 2007, 07:31 PM   #5
tINY

Almost no contact isn't a bad thing, as long as it's consistent.

If you are getting good accuracy (repeatability) then you're fine....

-tINY

Old August 10, 2007, 03:03 AM   #6
123kiwi

Yep, had a smithy bed my mkii . It made all the difference to a rifle the previous owner had given up on. He floated the barrel and epoxy bedded the action and it recently shot an inch and a half at the 200m mark at my range...
Could have just been my superb reloading skills though??...