The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 28, 2016, 11:57 AM   #1
jag2

Ammo lawsuits

I know the lawsuit in Colorado over the sale of ammo in the Aurora shooting was dismissed and the plaintiff was ordered to pay the defendants legal expenses. Does anyone know if they actually received it? Also, I thought I read where a similar lawsuit was won by the plaintiff in a different shooting. Anyone know about that one? Maybe my fuzzy memory is getting things confused. Everything I find on Google relates to the Aurora shooting.
Old January 28, 2016, 05:33 PM   #2
RiponP90

I don't know of any where the plaintiff has won other than the Badger Sports case in Wisconsin. However, that company was found to be negligent and sold guns without background checks that resulted in the shooting of two police officers. I'm not sure if they sold ammunition to them also but Badger Sports was a bad egg that made us all look bad and got exactly what they deserved.

As for ammunition, Lucky Gunner recently won legal fees when they were sued by a group claiming that their ammunition was the fault of a shooting. Luckily, us in the firearms industry are protected by the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms act which a certain group of politicians are currently trying to repeal.
Old January 28, 2016, 06:15 PM   #3
MurBob

I seem to remember a lawsuit about the ammo.. the plaintiffs lost, had to pay the defendants legal fee's as you posted.

I only remember it because there was an anti-gun group backing the plaintiffs lawsuit and providing funds (or free lawyers?)to the plaintiffs to help them out.

The plaintiff's would have never gone ahead with the suit without the resources of the anti-gun group backing them.

They ran the legal bills up through the roof and when the plaintiff's lost and were ordered to pay the defendants legal bills, the anti-gun group backed away and said see ya! They left the family to foot the legal bills of the defendants.

Those bills were considerable so I'm guessing a bankruptcy would be the only way out.. but just a guess.
Old January 28, 2016, 07:16 PM   #4
turkeestalker

Quote:
The plaintiff's would have never gone ahead with the suit without the resources of the anti-gun group backing them.
They ran the legal bills up through the roof and when the plaintiff's lost and were ordered to pay the defendants legal bills, the anti-gun group backed away and said see ya! They left the family to foot the legal bills of the defendants.
I can't say if that is true or not, but I could certainly see it. That should tell a person all they need to know about a typical anti-gun group.

In the Aurora case, the plaintiff actually was an anti-gun group.

http://americanlibertypac.com/2015/0...-tried-to-sue/
Old January 28, 2016, 08:07 PM   #5
turkeestalker

AHHH HA!
I was surprised to find this and stand corrected on my first response. Well, except for the part about it telling you all you need to know!

http://freebeacon.com/issues/federal...ssing-lawsuit/
Old January 29, 2016, 03:50 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

May be mistaken, but isn't this the suit where the plaintiffs were also board members of the gun control group that 'joined' the suit?