The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2000, 08:04 PM   #1
twoblink

One of the guys at the gun shop told me that I can't shoot slugs through a BPS barrel (the non-rifled ones) because it was chrome lined and would tear the barrel up inside? Is this true?

I thought I can shoot slugs through smoothed barrels, no? I have before through a Benelli... What am I missing here? Am I being lied to or what? Now I'm scared to get a BPS because I want to have the option of slugs...

Someone confirm or deny???

Albert
Old December 18, 2000, 08:32 PM   #2
PJR

Absolute bovine excrement. I have a chrome lined Beretta slug barrel that has had several hundred slugs through it and it is in pristine condition. Secondly, gunsmiths don't like to work on chrome lined barrels because they are harder than standard steel. They need special reamers to back bore or lengthen forcing cones so there's no way soft lead slugs will do any damage. Most certainly they won't "tear up" a barrel.

Chalk this one up to yet another bit of misinformation heard in gunshops or did they have an oversupply of rifled barreled guns that they were trying to move?
Old December 18, 2000, 11:53 PM   #3
Daniel Watters

There may be a real reason not to use slugs in a BPS, but it isn't related to a chromed bore. Browning is 'backboring' all of its shot barrels, using even larger internal dimensions than the aftermarket conversions of other makes and models. This is fine with most shot loads which use plastic wads, as the plastic wad can expand to obdurate the larger bore diameter. However, many slug loads use the old fashioned felt wads. If the felt wad cannot obdurate the bore, you will experience increased fouling and a reduction of velocity and accuracy.
Old December 19, 2000, 06:13 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's bushwa, twoblink. With backboring, I doubt you'll get great accuracy, but it will not hurt your shotgun.
Old December 19, 2000, 05:37 PM   #5
twoblink

When shooting a slug, I'm not all too worried about accuracy, I mean not in the "I'm trying to hit the fly that's 100 yards away" type of accuracy. If I wanted accuracy at the level, I'd be buying a 308 or a 30-06, (Which is also on my list... damn need more money)

Good, that's what I thought. I've shot slugs out of so many pump shotguns and I've never had anybody tell me you can't shoot slugs...

Thanks guys.

He was trying to push me to buy another shotgun that was about $750, instead of the BPS... I figured it was BS...

Albert