The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 4, 2012, 01:25 PM   #1
viciouskitty

scope advice

I'm looking for a scope for my girlfriends 243 it will be used for hunting and Target shooting maybe in the 100 to 150 dollar price range. Im just looking for suggestions. Thanks for the help
Old April 4, 2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Clifford L. Hughes

Viciouskitty:

A rifle only shoots as good as its sights. I know that they are expensive; however, you should look into a Leupold or a burris. The 243 is light recoiling so you might get away with a Weaver.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old April 4, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
jmr40

The Nikon Prostaff is right at $150 and is the cheapest scope 's suggest. Move up to $200 and there are options far better, and well worth the extra $50. Go any cheaper than the Prostaff, and you are asking for trouble.

Right now the Vortex optics are offering the most for the dollar. Any of their Binoculars, scopes, or red dots are excellent buys. You'd have to pay $200 more to most any other company to get optics that equal what they are putting out right now. The Diamondback 3-9X40 can be had for slightly under $200 and is a great scope.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Diamondback-R...pes-C1409.aspx

There are other good scopes. I've had good luck with, the better Nikons, and Burris. I also own Zeiss and Leupold, but for $200-$300 less money the Vortex products are awfully close.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Check out the Bushnell Banner series. I had great luck with one on a hard recoiling 7mm Rem Mag. It held zero very well, was clear and pulled in a lot of light.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Doyle

If you are willing to shell out just a tad more, you can pick up a Bushnell 3200 for about $180. Great scope and it has the Rainguard technology that really does help keep it from fogging up in high humidity.
Old April 7, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Cowboy_mo

I have a Nikon prostaff which is in your price range and I like pretty well.

However, I also discovered the Pentax Gameseeker II and have had one for about a year. I really think the Pentax is clearer and allows more light through than the Nikon. They are well within you $150 price range. Coincidentally, my Pentax is mounted on a Model 70 in .243 win
Old April 8, 2012, 09:54 PM   #7
viciouskitty

Thanks for all the advice guys