The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 1, 2010, 08:19 AM   #1
MMA1991

Dishwasher to Clean BP Revolver?

I came across a post on another site which claimed you can place your BP revolver in the dishwasher (after removing the wood grips) as a way to easily clean the pistol.

Seems like it may make sense....any thots and has anyone tried this method?

Not sure my wife would be too thrilled with the idea.....
Old March 1, 2010, 08:45 AM   #2
mykeal

Yep. Did it once. Back in the late 70's. Then the wife came home from work. It worked just fine, but I've not done it since.
Old March 1, 2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Gotta plan

Hand it to your wife and tell her to clean it.

Just kidding.

I use dish soap in a plastic basin all the time. That way I don't, a) scratch up the sink and, b) take a chance on losing parts down the drain. I deliberatley do it on the kitchen counter so that as my better half (and I mean that sincerely) walks by, she will get an appreciation of how much I love these pistols. Also the counter is close to the oven for drying the parts.
Old March 1, 2010, 09:56 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

If I come home with six or eight dirty bp revolvers they get the dishwasher. My wife doesn't say a word...she has me trained to do all the kitchen duties.
Old March 1, 2010, 10:34 AM   #5
32HR MAG

dishwasher drying

I have wanted to try the dishwasher clean-up.Some have wrote to take the firearm out before the drying stage of the dishwasher.I think it had to do with steam speeding up the rust formation.It makes sense seeing as most test for rust prevention products have a steam test.
I would think if you take it out as soon as the dishwasher goes to dry mode.The heat from washing will dry it pronto.would be no different than washing with hot water and left to dry.Oil before it cools so oil gets into the pores and your good to go.
Old March 1, 2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

I don't do the dishwasher because I take the pistols down to parade rest when I clean them. I don't think you can get them clean enough if you leave them together. I know there are many very experienced shooters who disagree with me.
Old March 1, 2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Ivan

Any fear of lead residue in the dish washer?

- Ivan.
Old March 1, 2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Ivan

I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem. Particles that are washed out are heavy and would not likely settle on other stuff in the dishwasher with the good job that the rinse cycle does.

I think we get far more exposure when we are casting bullets or loading the chambers.

I actually think the lead issue is over-rated. It is far more harmful when it is formed into a small mass and enters the body at high velocity.

I think there are plenty of folks out there who worry about lead contamination while they are puffing away on a cigarette doing 15 miles over the limit.
Old March 1, 2010, 02:17 PM   #9
PetahW

I've been using my kitchen dishwasher for cleaning my cap 'n ball revolvers for over 20 years with zero issues.

I first remove the nipples & grips - then disassemble into the major parts for distribution into the top rack of an otherwise empty dishwasher.

I use whatever diswashing detergent my wife uses.

I stop the dishwasher, by opening the door, at the end of the first wash/cycle - and remove the very hot metal parts from the washer.

I close the empty washer, to finish running through it's other multiple wash/rinse cycles - insuring a safe/clean enviroment for my family's eating utensils to be handled in.

The heated gun metal parts evaporate any moisture rather rapidly - I oil everything, as soon as they're dry to my eye, and re-assemble, ready until my next shooting session.

I clean the nipples separately, by hand, under a tap of hot running water.

FWIW, I also clean my empty/deprimed fired rifle/handgun brass, stuffed in a pillow case, in my clothes washing maching, along with a load of towels - but, that's another story.

Old March 1, 2010, 02:29 PM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I'm allergic to getting hurt so I just take mine into the shower with me.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 1, 2010, 02:30 PM   #11
mykeal

Quote:
I'm allergic to getting hurt so I just take mine into the shower with me.
Your what? Your gun or your wife?
Old March 1, 2010, 02:43 PM   #12
ClemBert

Quote:
I use whatever diswashing detergent my wife uses.
I would have thought that the dishwasher proponents wouldn't use dishwasher detergent at all. I thought dishwasher detergent was rather abrasive as compared to normal liquid dish soap used for washing in the sink. Doesn't the dishwasher detergent remove some of the bluing? I'd love so see some pics of those 20 year old dishwasher washed revolvers.

Other than that it seems like a great idea especially if you have more than one revolver to clean.
Old March 1, 2010, 04:42 PM   #13
Doc Hoy

Guys,

Cleaning pistols by hand is fun! Why should the dishwasher get all the enjoyment?
Old March 1, 2010, 08:28 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

Putting your pistols in a dishwasher? WAIT A MINUTE . . . I'M THE DISHWASHER! Hmmmmm . . . you mean they actually make a machine that does the dishwashing . . . . maybe that's why my wife hid the Sears Roebuck catalong on me . . . . . .

Actually . . . the idea sounds good but I think I'd have a hard time convincing my wife of the necessity of it . . . she's a wonderful woman but she puts up with enough of my bad habits without me pressing to add another one such as this . . . . good luck to those who can get it past their wives . . . . now let's see . . what was the phrase she made me learn by repeating it a 1,000 times . . . . oh, yea . . . "I promise I will never clean my guns in the kitchen sink again."
Old March 2, 2010, 01:12 AM   #15
Model-P

Quote:
Any fear of lead residue in the dish washer?
Of couse not. Doesn't every house come with a side-by-side double dishwasher arrangement for family/guns use?
Old March 2, 2010, 09:53 AM   #16
mykeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hoy
Cleaning pistols by hand is fun! Why should the dishwasher get all the enjoyment?
Now THAT'S the most sensible thing I've read all day!
Old March 2, 2010, 11:49 AM   #17
sundance44s

I tried it once and the bore and chambers didn`t come clean enough for my likeing........so I ended up hand washing anyway .
Might be why the wife , hand washes the dishes before she loads the dishwasher ...old habbits are hard to break .
Old March 2, 2010, 11:53 AM   #18
ClemBert

Quote:
I would have thought that the dishwasher proponents wouldn't use dishwasher detergent at all. I thought dishwasher detergent was rather abrasive as compared to normal liquid dish soap used for washing in the sink. Doesn't the dishwasher detergent remove some of the bluing? I'd love so see some pics of those 20 year old dishwasher washed revolvers.
No comments from the dishwashing machine proponents?
Old March 2, 2010, 02:02 PM   #19
herb

WITH OR WITHOUT RAIN SOFT RINSE??? I did it twice....First and last time! Wife promised to use my shooters for hammers to chip ice the next time she caught me. Agree it might be a little hard on blueing BUT stainless steel cycle should be just right for shiny guns.
Old March 2, 2010, 04:30 PM   #20
PetahW

[Doesn't the dishwasher detergent remove some of the bluing? I'd love so see some pics of those 20 year old dishwasher washed revolvers.]

[No comments from the dishwashing machine proponents?]

Enough said ?

Old March 2, 2010, 06:10 PM   #21
ClemBert

So it does remove some bluing or it doesn't? I can't tell from that thumbnail pic.
Old March 2, 2010, 07:00 PM   #22
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Your what? Your gun or your wife?
Ex-wife's new boyfriend wouldn't care for that and neither would I. I just take a brush, bore brush and the gun in the shower with me. Gives me an excuse to play with the gun and to stay under the hot water longer.

I live with my younger brother and sister and the dishwasher is my sisters domain. I can only use it if she is off visiting for a week or so and I don't dare mess up like I did the first time. How was I supposed to know there was a special dish detergent for dish washers? Only took an hour to clean up the mess and I got caught before I was done.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 2, 2010, 07:28 PM   #23
mykeal

Quote:
How was I supposed to know there was a special dish detergent for dish washers?

Yep, you gotta stay away from the dishwasher.
Old March 2, 2010, 10:44 PM   #24
Model-P

Just don't combine the two methods! Try puting Liquid dishwashing soap like Lemon Joy in your automatic dishwasher and see what happens. My wife ran out of detergent and thought she was smart to just put the Lemon Joy in
Old March 3, 2010, 09:19 AM   #25
madcratebuilder

Quote:
So it does remove some bluing or it doesn't? I can't tell from that thumbnail pic.
I don't use the dishwasher every time I take the girls out but several have been through the wash cycle maybe a dozen times and I see no wear or discoloring of the bluing.