The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Lavid2002

Whats the deal with shotshell prices?!

I just recently took advantage of the warming weather and went out for some clay shooting. Blew the dust off the clays and heded up to the local store. Got a case of remington gun club loads only to find that the screen at the register read 55.49....? This cant be right I bought cases of 12 ga. skeet loads from here in the fall for 34.98. But it was....shotshell has gone up. I went home and looked on the internet for cheaper prices...but everywhere else looks more expencive than this! Does everyone have this same problem? Man a few months of snow and now this. Do you know where I can get some inexpencive shotshell? target loads....Im no professional i dont need anything fancy I just want it to go bang and not hurt the wallet im low on cash. Thanks guys!
Dave
Old February 27, 2008, 08:15 PM   #2
golf97

Ammo in general has skyrocketed. Ammoman and a few others still have decent prices most of the time. Do a search for cheap ammo.

Most of the time I just say screw it and buy it at wal-mart, i don't like to wait or stock up i guess, and if the difference is only a couple of bucks than screw it.
Old February 27, 2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Lavid2002

yeah it has...:(

I checked ammoman....they dont ship to NJ ! oh joy! lol
Any other websites? I did a search and nothing came up....: / augh
Old February 27, 2008, 08:32 PM   #4
rem870hunter

cheaperthandirt.com has a decent variety of ammo. natchezss.com too
Old February 28, 2008, 07:48 AM   #5
classic095

shells

The cost of lead has jumped 200 percent. even scrap lead.. I make my own shot and If I have to buy lead I dont save a bunch on reloading.. Shot is where the cost is in the shotshells
Old February 28, 2008, 10:59 AM   #6
LouPran

Inflation is kicking butt across the board , robbing your money right from under your nose , shot shells , all ammo , food , gas , water, you name it. Just about every commodity is shooting up.
Old February 28, 2008, 12:17 PM   #7
BigJimP

Consider reloading - or just buy what you can from WalMart, etc in case lots.

In my area Rio's, Estate or Gun Club are costing about $4.50 - $5.50 a box. Of the 3 - I think the Gun Club is a good shell and Rios aren't bad - the Estate's are junk in my opinion - but if you're just a casual trap, skeet or sporting shooter - just buy whatever you can find on sale ( and buy 5 or 6 cases ) and ask them for another 10% off on the case and see what they say.
Old February 28, 2008, 01:12 PM   #8
JWT

Estates here have gone up to $6.29 a box at Sportsmans Warhouse. The Winchester Universals at Wal.Mart run the same. Those two are generally the least expensive I've found in Tucson and other brands are even higher.

I can find cheaper prices on line but the frieght completely negates the savings and makes the cost higher than purchasing locally.

Shot is $48 to $52 a bag.

The lead is largely responsible for the higher prices.
Old March 4, 2008, 09:14 PM   #9
perazzimx14

The Euro also has an effect on shell prices. When the dollar was stronger European shells like Rio's didn't fair well with the exchange rate. Now the Euro is strong and the dollar is weak. This means no good deals on European shells!!
Old March 4, 2008, 10:03 PM   #10
crowbeaner

EVERYTHING is going up; if the mfg. can link the cost of anything in the process to the price of oil, the price of the product will go up and up. Lead is outrageous right now, and will only continue to rise. It's time to drain the old mine in Bonne Terre, MO and start producing more lead. You certainly don't hear the antigunners complaining, do you? They are probably rubbing their hands in glee. The dollar is weak right now and unless the gummint does something substantial to bolster it's flagging value, the economy and inflation will only continue to deteriorate. Buy what you can now, and prepare for some dark days ahead. Buy cheap, stack deep.
Old March 4, 2008, 10:28 PM   #11
Beretta686

Damn!

Well no more drunken fun of throwing a box of shotgun shells in a fire.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old March 5, 2008, 01:57 AM   #12
YukonKid

heading into a recision makes everything go up. Go look and see how many used trucks/harleys there are. Prices of everything will go up.

RELOAD!!!

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old March 7, 2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Thoreau

Yep. Commi 1. US 0.

China has purchased most of the copper and lead in the US/World markets. They are preparing for expansion. They will send it back to us eventually, but I'm afraid it'll arrive at 1200 feet per second. Wolf and Brenneke ammo have disappeared or doubled in price. Talk to your local gun shop for more details about how screwed we are.