The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 13, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
crooked stripe

SA revolver

I have wanted a sa revolver like a Uberti, Cimmeron and Blackhawk. I like the looks of the ones without the adjustable sights. How accurate are these. Not that I want to shoot serious targets but I want to be able to keep the shots on paper and with practice get better. I need someone with experience with these to tap there knowledge. I shoot slow and rapid fire 22 in pistol and rifle and do pretty well. Our league is holding their own. Problem, most of the sa shooters at our club have swollen heads and think they are gods gift if you know what I mean. Can anyone help me out? John
Old December 13, 2012, 04:07 PM   #2
MJN77

I have thirteen Uberti revolvers and all of them are accurate.
Old December 13, 2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Idaho Spud

I've only one, a Pietta 1851 but can pop cans into the air at 20 yards or so, all the accuracy I require.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Hawg

They're usually pretty close windage wise but you may have to use a little Kentucky windage. Uberti's have tall front sights and will shoot low until you file them down to suit your loads.
Old December 13, 2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Never shot one but...

...That Ruger ROA with the solid sights and the 5.5 inch barrel is supposed to be a pretty rewarding shooter.
Old December 13, 2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Hawg

I'm thinking he wants to shoot cartridges,
Old December 13, 2012, 09:08 PM   #7
crooked stripe

I will stop at my lgs tomorrow and do a little fondling. The only thing I have heard is anything but Ruger has to be loaded on the lite side. I have always wanted to load up some black powder and give them a try. I even went so far as to buy the Tripple Seven as recommended at my lgs. When I read about powder measuring it turned me off. I don't understand it and don't want to make a safety issue. I have a 4" SP101 in .357 mag I was going to try it in. Hope to have some good news tomorrow and let you know what I have found. Thanks a lot. John
Old December 14, 2012, 12:14 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rugers need to be loaded on the light side? Rugers cartridge revolvers are heavy duty. Keep it light for accuracy though. Maximum power loads don't necessarily equate to accuracy.
Old December 14, 2012, 05:21 AM   #9
Hawg

Gary, he said anything BUT Ruger.
Old December 14, 2012, 10:39 AM   #10
DD4lifeusmc

type SA

yep little confused here too. Does he want Black powder or the conversion or the newer cartridge?
Like all guns every brand can have accurate or not accurate ones off the factory floor.
But their accuracy (any brand) is usually pretty good.
From there it is up to you.
Most have a blade front site you can file down if shoots low from a rest.
Or a little off either side for windage, if it is peg mounted vs dovetail.
And you can dress the rear site groove if need be.
But any major brand will likely shoot just fine.
I have two 30 year old navy Arms Remington 44's 8" barrel. Both are quite accurate.
20yds 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups usually offhand standing.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:44 AM   #11
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked stripe
How accurate are these. Not that I want to shoot serious targets but I want to be able to keep the shots on paper and with practice get better.
I'm thinking that his concern is about the sights shooting to the point of aim. There's no guarantee about it shooting to point of aim without buying a gun that has adjustable sights.
Sometimes the load and bullet weight and type will make a difference with the point of impact.
And loading with some dirty powders will likely degrade accuracy after a number of shots.
AFAIK no other powders will shoot as clean as smokeless powders do.
But even the cheapest guns will shoot fairly accurately except that the sights may not shoot as close to the point of aim.
Paper target shooters often prefer the target model guns having an adjustable rear sight for a reason.
After buying enough guns that don't shoot to point of aim, folks start to switch to guns having an adjustable rear sight, to make up for the really bad ones that won't shoot to point of aim with their loads.

Last edited by arcticap; December 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM.