The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 14, 2010, 08:57 AM   #1
ted1a

Scope for Browning in .308

I am picking up a Browning BAR in .308 this week. I need to install a scope, which I have never before done.

First question is a recommendation on mounts and rings for this rifle. The BAR comes with predrilled holes for mounts. and I believe what is needed are mounts and rings for the scope. Also, please let me know what else is needed other than mount/rings/scope.

I searched the forums for recommendation on scopes, and the general consensus is a nice scope such as leupold,Nikon,Burris, bushnell Elite, etc. And the Nikon 2-7 has some recommendations. What is your recommendation? Price range is around $200, and purpose is for deer hunting - will sight in at 100 yards.

The local store has a deal on a Bushnell DOA 3-9 for $100. Does anyone have a comment on that scope?
Old November 14, 2010, 09:25 AM   #2
gaseousclay

Quote:
I searched the forums for recommendation on scopes, and the general consensus is a nice scope such as leupold,Nikon,Burris, bushnell Elite, etc. And the Nikon 2-7 has some recommendations. What is your recommendation? Price range is around $200, and purpose is for deer hunting - will sight in at 100 yards.
I own a Leupold VX3, so I can't really give you any info on other scopes. the golden rule with scopes seems to be that you shouldn't buy cheap, however, there seem to be a lot of people out there that manage with scopes in the $200 or less range. get what you can afford and what works for you. I bought a Leupold because 1) I wanted quality and 2) I wanted a good warranty in case I somehow damaged my scope. I know i'll have mine for life so paying the extra $ was a trade-off for me. I'm still researching mounts/rings for my scope so I can't help you there either. I'll probably go with Leupold mounts/rings since it's the scope I have, although, I know there are less expensive brands out there. good luck
Old November 14, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Buzzard Bait

redfield?

I don't know about the two hundred dollar mark but the new redfields look like they might be a good buy if all you want is a straight foward scope for a hunting rifle
bb
Old November 14, 2010, 07:57 PM   #4
ted1a

OK. I plan to break the $200 mark, and go with a Leupold. They get allot of good recommendations in the forums.

My problem now is: do I go with Browning's mounting system?
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...ng-accessories

or with Leupold's?
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...ms/std-mounts/

Or some other mount system. the above seem to follow the "in the same family" line of thought.

Any positive or negative history with either of these?

Also, I have the Matte vs Gloss finish decision. Any recommendations for the BAR, based on what you went with? I don't have an example in front of me so not sure how polished the blueing is. the stock is gloss though.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Old November 14, 2010, 08:23 PM   #5
sserdlihc

I have a BAR in 308 Win. I have had it for a good 15 years, mounted a Redfield scope with Leupold rings and bases. It is some kind of wonderful. Seriously, check out the new Redfield line of scopes.
Old November 14, 2010, 09:21 PM   #6
gaseousclay

Quote:
OK. I plan to break the $200 mark, and go with a Leupold. They get allot of good recommendations in the forums.

My problem now is: do I go with Browning's mounting system?
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...ng-accessories

or with Leupold's?
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...ms/std-mounts/

Or some other mount system. the above seem to follow the "in the same family" line of thought.

Any positive or negative history with either of these?

Also, I have the Matte vs Gloss finish decision. Any recommendations for the BAR, based on what you went with? I don't have an example in front of me so not sure how polished the blueing is. the stock is gloss though.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
hehe, sounds like you're going through the exact same thing I went through. which Leupold scope did you decide on? seriously though, I don't think you can go wrong with a Leupold scope.

regarding mounts/rings, since you plan on going with a Leupold scope it would make sense to go with their set of mounts & rings. I plan on using Leupold mounts/rings on my Browning.

going with matte versus gloss is a tough call. my A-Bolt has a nice high polished stock, so I wound up going with a gloss Leupold scope to match the rifle. however, i'm not sure if I should also be going with gloss mounts and rings as well. I guess i'm afraid my rifle will be too shiney when out in the field and that it could potentially be a handicap. at the same time, I doubt a deer will spot my shiney rifle/scope if i'm wearing a flourescent orange hat and vest.
Old November 18, 2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Coop204

Finishes matching??????

I like mine better if everything matches. In comparison I sit in full orange outfit and still see deer. The gun and scope finish may not be that important. Back in my early days of hunting, a matte or camo finish was almost unheard of on a gun. So many choices in optics today, Nikon Prostaff, Redfields, and Leupold, Weaver, Sightron, are among my choices. Most have good warranties and will give good service for your money spent. Have fun with whatever you should choose. Coop204

Last edited by Coop204; November 18, 2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:10 PM   #8
ted1a

Thanks everyone for the input.

I picked up my 308 and a Leupold 3X9 VX-I. I got this from OpticsPlanet. The prices were in line with other places, and they shipped quickly. However, I had asked for the scope in matte finish. It arrived gloss. The error here is that I called OpticsPlanet's phone line, instead of using the internet forms. Since they use the same part number for all finishes and all reticle choices, it is easy to get the wrong part. Not a great business model. Also, the one piece base from Leupold is only offered in gloss, but it appears to be a semi-gloss and would blend well with gloss or matte. The blued finish on the gun is not super glossy either. The rings came matte, and I got the "Low" option. The scope has 1/8 clearance to the gun, and seems to be a good fit.

Altogether it looks nice, and shoots well. I sighted in the scope last week before Thanksgiving.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:38 PM   #9
ted1a

I figured out why the scope did not come in matte. At opticsplanet, they list an SKU at the top of the page. But that SKU is not for the product, it is for one of the variants. Variant SKUs are listed below in a table. They also do not list the SKU on the shopping cart page. So if you give the SKU at the top of the page, you might not get what you want, even if you list out the options you want to the operator. Better to use the web forms than to call in. I called in to check availability. Live and learn.
Old November 30, 2010, 04:42 PM   #10
gaseousclay

Quote:
I figured out why the scope did not come in matte. At opticsplanet, they list an SKU at the top of the page. But that SKU is not for the product, it is for one of the variants. Variant SKUs are listed below in a table. They also do not list the SKU on the shopping cart page. So if you give the SKU at the top of the page, you might not get what you want, even if you list out the options you want to the operator. Better to use the web forms than to call in. I called in to check availability. Live and learn.
you should try ordering from midwayusa.com for your future rifle needs. I saved $50 on my Leupold VX3 over a month ago and their service was great. I have nothing against opticsplanet since i've never ordered from them before, so sorry to hear about the mix-up on your scope.

btw, show us some pics if you got 'em
Old November 30, 2010, 10:58 PM   #11
MLeake

Just ordered another Nikon 3-9X ProStaff BDC

for my 7mmMag BAR; my first Nikon is on a 700 .30-06. Hard to beat at the price point, and actually a very nice scope. Good image quality, and the Ballistic Drop Compensator system is simple to use, and works pretty well.

I like Midway in general, but amazon.com had it for $141.99, while it was $169.99 at Midway.

So, ordered it from Midway, and even with 2-day shipping it was still $15 under the basic Midway purchase price.

Tags
browning , mount , ring , scope