The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2007, 05:08 PM   #1
tdale4

advice wanted

I'm in the process of building a big bore AR 15. I'm still undecided on the .50 beowulf or the 458 Socom, I'm leaning towards the Beowulf. Anyway once I decide on which to build I'll be needing a reloading setup. Currently I shoot 45 acp, 30.06, and 7.62x39. I'm looking at buying a the lee turret press kit and the necessary die sets to reload all the calibers I shoot. Is this a good reloading kit? what else will I need, I was told a case tumbler....anything else? is the powder measure automatic, from the looks of the lee video it is. can it be adjusted from .45 acp to the .50 Beowulf? any help or susgestions will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Tim
Old June 23, 2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

To reload a less common chambering, you need to call Lee (262-673-3075) to double-check that the press will accommodate it? From the standpoint of length and rim, I don't see why it would not? I prefer to reload rifle on the Forster-Bonanza Co-ax press. It takes a bit more time, but is more precise and the press will accommodate almost anything. The Co-ax press has quick-change dies, so it is faster than a normal single-stage press. I find I have other operations, like trimming or using a precision priming tool or a powder dispenser, that I need to interrupt the flow of the loading process for, so the Co-ax has been fast enough and more convenient for me in that regard.

If you are going to load a large volume, though, with a little less emphasis on precision, a true progressive might be a better choice? The turret is in between on speed, since it operates on only one cartridge at a time.

The Lee press has a linkage to run the powder measure. In general, Lee is very good gear for the price, and some of their stuff is unique. Their automatic presses have a reputation for needing a bit more adjusting and attention than some of the more expensive ones, but if you are on a budget, that is OK. They all need adjusting at one time or another.

You will likely need case lube. Even though the case has straight sides, you will find a lube makes it easier to size, even with carbide dies. You will need a powder scale to calibrate the powder measure, and a caliper to check case and cartridge length, since it may be hard to find commercial gauges for .50 Beowulf. A case trimmer will be necessary after about the third firing of each case. You will probably want other items as time goes by, but none are essential. A loading tray is useful. A tumbler is convenient and saves a lot of time when you load much volume, but you can just wipe dirt off with a damp rag which has a drop or two of dish washing liquid added. You don't need to clean inside the case, or to rinse the outside. Just let it dry. A rag dampened with mineral spirits works and dries faster if you can work outside. You only need to clean cases to get grit off so it doesn't get in your dies. Making them shine helps you find ejected cases in the grass, but is not at all essential to shooting them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle