The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 08:41 PM   #26
Uncle Malice

My setup is very similar to Skadoosh, as well - but I have the standard 590A1 without speedfeed stock. I do have the Allen shell holder sleeve on the stock though. I keep 5rds of the Winchester PDX1 (1oz slug w/ 3 00buck pellets) loaded in that, while the mag tube and chamber are loaded with Federal 00buck. I really like the way that balances. I'm not a fan of the side saddle because I don't like the added weight up there, nor essentially doubling the width of the receiver. Just seems too fat.

I do have one of those bandoliers hanging in the closed loaded up 25 00buck, 15 3" 00buck, and 10 slugs.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:16 AM   #27
111t

I keep 5 in the tube and 5 on the stock in one of those nylon sleeves. There are a total of 9 3" Remington 00 buckshot and 1 2 3/4" 000 federal. The reasoning is this; I picked the Remington because at 15-20 feet it had a wider pattern out of my gun. It throws an approximately 10" pattern at those distances. I tested federal 2 3/4 00 as well as 000. The federal 00 had a very tight pattern at close range. About 4" or less. I thought this to be too tight. I also discovered that my gun hates to feed the 5 th 3" she'll but it will reliably feed 2 3/4" shells every day of the week. The 000 buckshot threw about a 6" pattern so I put that in the last tube position. I hope to God that 1) I'm never in a position where I need this and 2) if I do I hope to settle things with a lot fewer than ten rounds. I really don't have the training for a protracted gunfight. It's not something I fantasize about or think I would be good at.

That being said it seems to me that a strength of the pump shotgun is the ability to top it off as you go. I keep an old shoulder bag with loose shells just in case.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:13 PM   #28
Axelwik

You guys must live in a place where teams of commandos are a constant threat!
Old January 27, 2013, 04:21 PM   #29
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I think Skadoosh's siganture sums it up pretty well...

Quote:
The ones who go looking for trouble are not much of a problem to someone who's ready for them. -John Dalton
Just because we are prepared, doesn't mean that we are afraid... quite the opposite, really. Being prepared allows us to be unafraid...

I do live in the Phoenix valley, and home invasions are rather common actually. Human trafficking, gangs, etc are frequently seen on the news. I live in what I would consider a pretty safe neighborhood... but that doesn't mean I'm going to be complacent.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:39 AM   #30
lamarw

Based upon the new White House guidance, I now carry a 12 gauge double barrel coach gun with an elastic 6 round sleeve on the stock. All the rounds are currently buck shot, but I could be convinced there is a better load for personal carry. I have owned this coach gun for years and am just now putting it into service.

I feel blessed to already have one since I undestand there is a run on double barrel coach guns after VP Biden's Recommendations.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:49 AM   #31
egor20

Quote:
No, I live on a farm where the average sheriff's response time is 15 minutes.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 30, 2013, 11:08 AM   #32
Pyzon

Quote:
Well, I guess I have not lived in the 'land of enchantment' for a few years now, because every day I read news of one to a bunch of dirtballs prowling my town, and neighborhoods just like mine, doing their best to cause mayhem and violence.

So if one or more of these types equates to a "team of commandos",
then yep, it is a constant and every day threat where I live.

And add me to those that think an excess of available ammo is always better than a deficit. A couple of those cheap 50 round elastic bandoleers are easy to throw over a shoulder, just to keep things moving along when bad stuff is in going on.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:53 PM   #33
Axelwik

I've never heard of anyone needing more than 4 or 6 rounds of buckshot to either scare off or shoot an intruder. (Except in the movies or TV) Just sayin...
Old January 30, 2013, 04:59 PM   #34
Pyzon

Quote:
I've never heard of anyone needing more than 4 or 6 rounds of buckshot to either scare off or shoot an intruder. (Except in the movies or TV) Just sayin...
Yeah, me neither, but a team of commandos, or even zombies is another thing altogether.

I do not intend to become the first, either.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:30 PM   #35
iraiam

Quote:
Me either, but there is nothing wrong with being prepared, and I am.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason