The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2011, 11:54 PM   #1
SR25MK4

870 Remington Trigger Mods & Kits

Has anyone installed a Timney 'Trigger Fix' or Accuracy Speaks Trigger Kit? What is your evaluation of improvement over 'sloppy' factory trigger? Was installation straightforward - any 'kinks'? Were instructions thorough? I was told the Timney utilizes a 'Teflon' coating on sear/trigger. If this is correct, have you noted any undue wear on contact surfaces? What is your estimation of trigger pull weight? This is important as this 870 will be used as a 'breaching' shotgun AND it must also deliver Buckshot, N.L. Munitions and SLUGS accurately at 25/50+ yards. It will often be used with gloves. So, for legal reasons, a heavier (5 lbs.) trigger pull will be used. What I want most is the elimination of creep, drag/grit and over travel of factory unit.
Also: If you had to contact Maker/Seller for Returns/Resolution of Problems (etc.), were you satisfied with their response?

Thanks for your help.
Old February 20, 2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Sport45

Welcome to The Firing Line!

I wish I could help, but since I use my 870 mostly for moving targets and slap the trigger anyway I've never considered changing it.

I have shot some slugs at 50 yards and while the trigger isn't as nice as any of my rifles, I don't think it was the limiting factor in accuracy.
Old February 20, 2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Probably those will improve things, but I'm not sure how much.

The heaviest 870 trigger here is about 5 lbs, and none are so bad that slug groups are compromised. In fact, my Model 94 is worse and still shoots well.

I've had Timneys on some bolt guns. They do give a very nice feel,light,clean and crisp.

Another possible tweak for your breacher is adding a trigger shoe. The greater surface area mimics a lighter pull. Most people using them also think they give a better feel of the break point.

HTH....
Old February 20, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
zippy13

Another option is having a trigger job done on your factory trigger. From your description, you don't need the adjustability of an aftermarket unit, but you do want your existing trigger cleaned up. Bill Springfield www.triggerwork.net will do your factory 870 trigger for $39.
Old February 20, 2011, 07:19 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

If this is going to be a Police/Military shotgun, or a gun you're going to bet your life on, probably the last thing you really need is a more complicated trigger assembly.

Simple is better, because the more complicated something is, the more likely it is to fail when most needed.
Adjustable triggers in any firearm are well known to lose adjustment when least expected and most needed.
This can range from the trigger suddenly and disconcertingly becoming terrible, to a trigger that simply fails to fire the gun.

The stock Remington factory trigger unit is fairly simple and has a 50 year reputation of not giving problems.
For the shooting you've described, a fine adjustable trigger is very much over-kill and an added risk you don't have to take.
You don't need a fine trigger to blow a lock off at zero feet, or to hit a target at 40 yards with a load of buckshot.
Any Remington 870 I've ever seen can put all slugs into a saucer at 50 yards with the stock trigger.

In short, I think you're making complicated something that isn't.
Old February 22, 2011, 02:06 PM   #6
drail

I agree with Dfaris. For the tasks you described the factory trigger should not be any kind of problem. Buy a lot of ammo and practice as much as you can. Make sure it will feed, fire and eject reliably. While 870 triggers aren't anything like a crisp rifle trigger I've never had one that I felt handicapped my performance with the 870. Be very careful when attempting to breach door hardware. There will be wood and metal shrapnel flying. Everyone around you needs to use protection.

Last edited by drail; February 22, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old February 22, 2011, 03:55 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

It sounds like you are using an 870 for police purposes. Do you have an 870 Police? I believe they have actions set for heavier trigger pulls. You may want to contact JD at aiptactical dot com if this is for LE.
Old February 24, 2011, 11:13 AM   #8
tim s

If your stated objective is slugs @ 25-50 yards you're going to get the least bang for the buck with a trigger. If anything upgrade sights IMHO.
Old February 24, 2011, 12:43 PM   #9
sirsloop

hmm... I don't find my 870 trigger lacking, then again I'm not shooting a slug barrel.
Old February 24, 2011, 01:40 PM   #10
zippy13

Sirsloop,
Let's not forget that triggers can vary from gun to gun. I've found that a good cleaning and an application of Gunslick's anhydrous graphite to the sear area will do wonders for some triggers.

Tags
870 , accuracy speaks , modify , timney , trigger