The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 31, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
FilthyHarry

Barrel in backwards

Anybody else seen that current internet ad for a Dan Wesson for sale? The one where the forcing cone is sticking out the front of the shroud? The seller states that the cylinder gap is "cavernous"!!! I sent the seller a msg to let them know to swap ends, but the posting hasn't changed. Oops... Hahaha.
Old March 31, 2014, 05:57 PM   #2
FoghornLeghorn

Hard to believe he didn't realize it.

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; April 2, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old March 31, 2014, 06:03 PM   #3
jglsprings

I'm pretty sure that the threads are different on the two ends of my DW. Shouldn't be able to do that. I'll go check...

Went back and checked - the muzzle is threaded all the way to the end - the forcing cone isn't'. Different diameters as well - it wouldn't take the muzzle nut.

Only goes together one way. The barrel only fits in the shroud "correctly".

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; March 31, 2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old March 31, 2014, 08:30 PM   #4
FilthyHarry

Bigger problems then...

Ok, I haven't actually tried on mine. Thanks for the input... Not sure I know how to make a link, but I'll check where I saw it. Update... I am the idiot now... I guess the barrel is just not screwed in enough. My bad, oh, if you want to see it - it's on Gunbroker... 44 magnum.

Last edited by FilthyHarry; March 31, 2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: New info
Old March 31, 2014, 08:55 PM   #5
jglsprings

You are right, it isn't correct. He doesn't have the barrel screwed in far enough. He didn't use a feeler gauge - he didn't even screw it past the frame. The text says he is missing the barrel nut wrench...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=404925856

Quote:
as you can see, the cylinder gap would better be classified as a cavern...the barrel nut needs to be removed, and the cylinder gap needs to be set to an appropriate level.
But he seems to understand that... That old horse has seen better days.

Commas save lives...
Old April 1, 2014, 05:40 PM   #6
jtmckinney

My Monson DW 15-2 wasn't in much better shape when I got it but with a little elbow grase and a couple weeks soaking in CLP and properly setting up the cylinder gap I have a fine shooter.

Look at picture 15 in the add. Does it look to anyone else like the star at the back at the cylinder is damaged at the 12 and 2 o'clock positions. Some things in the pictrues tell me the gun probably has been fired little but handled a lot.

Have a grat day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old April 1, 2014, 06:07 PM   #7
44flattop

Looks heavily used and refinished to me.
Old April 4, 2014, 11:22 AM   #8
DWFan

Unless he recut the muzzle threads to match the frame, he's seriously messed up that revolver by installing that barrel backwards. Anyone buying it had better be ready to tap new threads and have a custom barrel made.
Old April 4, 2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Scorch

Oh, come on, people! You cannot put the barrel in backwards. Apparently the folks at Dan Wesson expected people to be stupid, so the two ends are different diameters. Also, in the picture of the muzzle, there is no forcing cone as there would be at the cylinder end of the barrel. And if you read the text you will see that the seller already knows this.

But, other than those minor points , I agree that the gun has seen better days. It shows signs of being rusted and cold blued over the rust. Considering that, and the fact that it is an early model (early model with the issues associated with that action) and it is missing the accessory package and case, the $355 asking price seems a little high.
Old April 4, 2014, 11:50 AM   #10
Peter M. Eick

Also as a FYI, the threads are different for different calibers. That way you can't screw a 22 barrel onto a 357 frame and pull the trigger on a live round.

It would be messy at best...
Old April 4, 2014, 01:32 PM   #11
GaryED50

Maybe its not the barrel maybe the frame is on the wrong end

Gary
Old April 4, 2014, 01:39 PM   #12
noelf2

Maybe it's a 2.5" barrel in a 4" shroud.
Old April 5, 2014, 09:20 AM   #13
begeberg

This thread...

Is kinda funny in a scary way...you would think if you couldn't figure out something on your gun you might research it a bit or ask someone in the know. Sounds like this guy may have an ah ha moment eventually.
Old April 5, 2014, 09:47 PM   #14
hAkron

Wow! The barrel nut looks messed up too. I'm not sure you could get it apart with a normal barrel wrench. The ported barrels can be a real mess if somebody shot a lot of lead in the gun. The lead will pack in the void between the barrel and shroud. I've had to tap them apart with a brass rod shoved into the ejector rod cutout in the shroud. Somebody who was an idiot put the barrel back on, but didn't thread it all the way back into the frame, then they ran the barrel nut down way too far and probably used a small screw driver and a hammer or something to jam it tight. Be careful with this one. Plenty of other DW 44's out there with less questionable histories. Also, the rear sight screw should be an Allen head.

As was also pointed out, the extractor star appears to be messed up/chipped on the ratchets.

In addition, the turn line on the cylinder is pretty erratic, and the red ramp is starting to walk out of the front sight.

I would say this might make a good parts gun, though I'm not sure what parts would be useable.

Last edited by hAkron; April 5, 2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old April 8, 2014, 09:45 AM   #15
ese927

The barrel is not in backwards. Will not thread that way and if you look at the photos you can see full thread to muzzle. It is just not seated properly and the nut has been run in to far to hold it in place. This pistol has some wear and was not cared for at all it appears but I would take it. I think the pic of the ejector star and ratchet is just a bad angle. possible one tooth is chipped but I don't think so. That gun just needs a barrel wrench, the cylinder shims and some TLC. IMHO, DW's are the sweetest shooter straight from the box you could buy. Monson builds anyway. The action parts do differ from the smiths and colts but they are smooth from the get go. The latch only looks awkward, and is located in the best place to handle pressure and stress. Wife bought my 15-2-VH6 Hunter, 6" and 10" new for Christmas in 1978 for less than 3 bills, and it is still my best shooting, most accurate and smoothest double action revolver, hands down.
Member AAGSR Member Oath Keepers #021479
AGA Mem. 83120600233 NRA #206814004
"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves …"
Richard Henry Lee
Old April 9, 2014, 06:58 AM   #16
jtmckinney

Current bid is at $430.00 which is more than I would pay for a gun in this condition that I did not get to handle with my own hands.

Someone else also mentioned the turn line. Any ideas what could cause that. None of my revolvers that have a turn line looks like that. All of mine are very sharp and distinctive.

Have a great day!
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old April 9, 2014, 04:51 PM   #17
Blindstitch

Seems like the most handicapped gun owner without the tool could make one quite easily.

Working on cars and trucks many people modify sockets to make the tool for the job. might even be able to just trim down some pipe and put a strap wrench or even drill a hole in it to run a screwdriver through as a handle.

The price leaves a lot to be desired to me. For the right price I don't mind doing work but that was several hundred dollars ago.
Old April 10, 2014, 04:20 AM   #18
hemiram

Wow, that gun has a current bid higher than what I paid for my 98% 44, with spare parts in 2011. I wouldn't pay anything close to what it's going for now.