The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Sphawley

Brass Choices

This will be my first batch of reloads not including shot shell reloading. I will be starting with .308 and have a pretty good idea on what kind of round I want to start with. They suggest with your first batches you follow the recipie exactly!

However all the books I have are starting off with Remmington brass. I dont have any Remmington brass, and all of my local retailers are sold out and have been sold out for a while. I have some nice once fired Winchester and Hornady match Brass floating around. Are there any major differences in these casings that you guys wouldn't reccomend me substituting these in my first handloads?

Thanks for the time and patience while I'm learning!
Old January 8, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The manuals all have that warning, with no indication how exactly one is supposed to abide by it, since you won't be using the same powder and primer lots no matter what you do.

It's a non-issue.

Use whatever brass you have, start at starting loads and work up carefully.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Sphawley

That's what I was thinking, original ideas are never a good idea in reloading...Just wanted to make sure! Thank you!!
Old January 8, 2013, 10:49 PM   #4
dmazur

Shot shell (recipes) generally deal with non-interchangeable components, as I understand things. Each manufacturer of hulls has a different idea, so volume under the wad differs even though the gauge is the same. Wads aren't consistent, either. So the shot shell reloader has to follow the recipe exactly.

Metallic (loads) components are far more similar. There are some warnings, such as decreasing powder quantity if using magnum primers in a load that calls for standard primers. Or decreasing powder if using military brass, which might have a thicker case wall and, therefore, reduced volume. But generally brass cases are similar enough to be substituted without regard to headstamp. Accuracy may suffer with mixed headstamps, but generally not safety. So the metallic cartridge reloader does not have to follow the load exactly. Powder quantity for bullet type and weight is important, but the other specifications are less important.

The only precaution I can suggest is to read up on headspace. Reloading metallic cartridges is supposedly ranked, in order of difficulty, as
  • Pistol
  • Bottleneck rifle
  • Bottleneck rifle for a gas gun

If you are reloading for a bolt-action, I would set up the resizing die so it just contacts the shoulder. That is, using a cartridge headspace gauge, adjust until the headspace begins to increase (shoulder is bumped) and then stop.

If you are reloading for a gas gun, I would set up the resizing die for minimum SAAMI dimension on the gauge (maximum headspace), to guarantee chambering without resistance, as well as use milspec primers (like CCI #34's).

Good luck.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

Like mentioned above when you start with the "START" data you will be working up for pressure, so it is not as big a deal which cases you start with. That said, once you find your load, depending on where it is between START and MAX, you don't want to switch cases without dropping the charge weight down a grain or two and working back up. Just the same as if you swapped primers, or bullet types or weights.