The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Powder choice: burn rate, not brand!!

I've decided to buy 500 240gr bullets locally.

To those who have followed and contributed to my "bullet choice" thread, I should point out that this is not my final choice. But I can get these bullets for a reasonable price and so I though I would take the plunge!!

I still plan to get some 300gr bullets, but the most likely supplier (my local range) won't be putting an order in before january...

Anyway I want to plan ahead and decide on a powder to suit either the 240gr or 300gr options.

The 240grs will be jacketed at the crimp with cannelure (probably SJFP). The 300 gr may also be cannelured SJFPs or plated truncated cone bullets w/o cannelure.

Regardless they will be leaving a 4.2" Redhawk barrel. I want a powder that will pack some punch!!

Having sorted my grip and technique, a bit of recoil does not worry me the way it initially did!!

The 240s will almost exclusively see range use, whilst the 300s would be used on the range, but only for load testing and practice, being mainly loaded as a woods protection round...

The manufacturer WILL be Vihtavuori. The question is which of their powders.

IIRR, Lymans 49th only offer N110 as a powder for me, whilst the Vihtavuori manual recommend N105, N110, N340, N350 and 3N37 for .44s of those weights. The powder would be for both bullet weights, so N320 (240gr only) is not shortlisted.

VV describes them as each as follows (summarised):
N110 a very fast burning propellant
N105 Special powder for heavy bullets and large cases: between N110 and N350
N340 Winchester 540 burn rate: wide application
N350 (This is what I charge with now .38s and 200gr .44s now) Slowest N-series burner. Similar to Blue-Dot.
3N37 Designed for HV rimfire, but burn rate between N340 and N350 gives it some c-f applications.

Summary:
240gr and 300gr (plated no cannelure or SJ w/cannelure).
Loading for oomph.
Heavy bullets would be a woods load.

If you can explain why that would also be handy: powder choice still a bit of a mystery.

Thanks.
Old September 14, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
mehavey

VN's 100-series powders are rifle powders, while the 300-series are pistol. VN-110 is therefore fast for a rifle, but a relative high-energy slow powder for a pistol...

VihtaVuori N110
Hodgdon LIL'GUN
Hodgdon H110/W296

...all literally group together as far a burn rate goes.

Of all three, VN-110 is the most flexible. It doesn't need to fill the case to ignite well (but can/does give great fill), ignites with non-mag primers, burns cleanly and produces all the stomp you can use.

I settled on it in both my 44Mag and 45Colt for rifle usage. Nothing else came close
Old September 14, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Thanks for your opinion and especially giving it some context! Most useful!!
Old September 14, 2012, 02:01 PM   #4
bossman

Fast burn= light to medium loads good for 38 spl & 44 spl.
Mid burn= low to medium hot loads.
Slow burn= Medium to hot magnum loads.

Pick your poision and go for it. Slow should get you some nice thumpers, mid good shooting loads, fast for easy hitting target loads. Good luck.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old September 14, 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
zxcvbob

You have the N350 already, and it looks like a good choice. Why not try that one first?
Old September 14, 2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
You have the N350 already, and it looks like a good choice. Why not try that one first?
That would, of course, be the sensible thing to do...

But, now that I'm starting to get a feel for reloading (not that you'd believe it from all my problem posts!!) I'd like to expand a little.

I want to try something new and really get those new bullets moving. I'll have pretty much the heaviest bullets I can get for my .44 Mag, so I'd like to match them with the strongest powder I can, even if I won't be going to max load levels in my charges.

It'll give me some idea of what my Redhawk can actually do, especially since I've discovered that the S&B 240gr SP's I've been buying over the counter are actually pretty weak!!

But also, by getting a .44 exclusive powder, I can save the N350 for my .38Spls, now that I have a bit more cash.

I suppose I should give it a go. After all, initially, I had chosen N350 because I could do both with the same powder.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; September 15, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old September 15, 2012, 01:11 AM   #7
sc928porsche

I tried N110 with 240 gr but got better results through chrono with W296.
Old September 15, 2012, 01:26 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

I guarantee the W296/H110 will give you top BANG for the buck (er, pound that is). Since N110 is similar burn rate then it should meet your expectations superbly. You can go alittle slower in the rifle powder for the .44 mag, but I found the 296/110 powder gave plenty of velocity and muzzle flash with my 4" Redhawk and 240 and 300 gr bullets. It is a hoot to shoot!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 15, 2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond
The manufacturer WILL be Vihtavuori. The question is which of their powders.
In case anybody missed that.

I've never used any VV powders, but agree that N110 looks like it would give you the best performance. Looks like it falls somewhere between 2400 and H110 and those both work very well.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:53 AM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

For the high velocity, big boom, high flash, heavy recoil loads. N-110 will do the job. If you can get Accurate Arms #9 there it is a great powder. It will get the high velocities that N110 will, and can safely be down loaded to suit use with lead, and medium velocity levels.

Note if you use N110 with lead make sure they are gas checked. It is a hot powder used mostly with jacketed bullets.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:40 AM   #11
WESHOOT2

ex per ience

I use N350 and N110 under lead, plated, and jacketed bullets in 44 Magnum.
I ignite them with standard primers, unless the anticipated use environment will be artic. For those I use the Federal 155 exclusively.
I crimp them firmly with a Redding Profile Crimp Die only.

I did not use Vihta powders for ammo headed to tropical areas; I used MY lots of W296.

"Woods" bullets:
Best 300g JHP: Swift A-Frame
Best 300g lead: 320g Penn Bullets, 300g WFN Beartooth, 300g WFNGC Cast Performance