The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 2, 2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Georgian

Mossberg shotguns and recoil

Hey yall. I have owned several Mossbergs. The first three I owned were both 500's and funtioned perfectly. One was a plain jane wood stock model, with 28", 18.5", and 24" barrels; the next was a Model 500 Mariner, and a 500 8 shot Persuader. Although I loved my Mossbergs, it did seem like the synthetic stocked models always had more felt recoil than a wood stocked model, and I also noticed that the recoil pads on the synthetic stocks were extremely hard. Now the only Mossberg I own is the Model 590 Mariner 9 shot. Again I find the same problems with it as I stated above. I grew up shooting Remington 870's, and never had a problem with their felt recoil, they shouldered perfectly, and felt really good. I wonder why I am unable to accomplish the same feel with the Mossberg? That is ultimately what I am looking for, but do not know if I need a new stock, new recoil pad, or just need to trade it in on a Model 870. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

God Bless
Old November 3, 2011, 03:54 AM   #2
mauiglide

I put a Knoxx Compstock on my Mossberg 500 Persuader 8+1 shotgun and it really tones down the recoil. I used to have a pistol grip on it but I couldn't get used to the nasty recoil. Now it my shotgun is a pleasure to shoot.
Old November 3, 2011, 06:02 AM   #3
SoilworK777

Hello from Dallas GA. You might try getting a new recoil pad, as it would be much cheaper than a recoil absorbing stock. Limbsaver makes a decent one. Some other guys probably know other good brands.
Old November 3, 2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Skadoosh

I have both an 870 and a 590A1. No problems with felt recoil from both ...even with full power shells. But if its really that much of a problem, trade it for an 870 or sell it here. There are surely members here on the forum who will take your Mossy. Or try shooting reduced recoil shells.
Old November 3, 2011, 12:15 PM   #5
idek

my first thought is that the 870 probably fit you a little better and that's why you noticed less felt recoil. If that's the case, I'd say stick with 870s.

Regarding stocks, the synthetic ones may be more hollowed out and lighter weight, and, all else equal, a lighter gun will always have more free recoil.

Recoil pads can definitely make a difference. I've had good experiences with Limbsaver aftermarket pads, and consider the $30-40 cost well worth it.
Old November 3, 2011, 12:38 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
my first thought is that the 870 probably fit you a little better and that's why you noticed less felt recoil. If that's the case, I'd say stick with 870s.
+1..........not all stocks are the same
Old November 3, 2011, 12:47 PM   #7
BigJimP

+1 on Idek and OneOunces comments...

Fit is a big deal !!
Old November 3, 2011, 07:37 PM   #8
classicshotgunner

If you don't mind me making a suggestion, if you get a new recoil pad get one that is slightly over sized or a slip on and keep your original butt plate or recoil pad. Cut the recoil pad to fit the stock if it's not a slip over, never cut the stock to fit the recoil pad. Always try to leave the gun as original as possible and if you cut the wood stock, it's hard to replace the cut wood short of replacing the complete wood stock. There's a ton of nice shotguns on the web gun selling sites that would sale much better if the wood hadn't been butchered on them. The synthetic stocked shotguns are lighter than most wood stocked shotguns of the same make and model so naturally the lighter shotgun will kick more. I've got a Remington model 31 in 12 GA. with only a 2 3/4 inch chamber that kicks harder than any shotgun I've ever shot (and that's a bunch including light weight single shots and 3 1/2 inch magnums) and a simple slip over rubber recoil pad tamed it's kick quite well. When I put it away after hunting season I remove the rubber slip over recoil pad. No harm to the old kills on both ends shotgun and it's still original without a screw or bolt on it having been turned.
Old November 4, 2011, 01:58 AM   #9
Sphawley

Its all about the fit, get the gun that fits you best and you will always be happy.
Old November 4, 2011, 05:54 PM   #10
WeldonHunter

Great points made here. The first thing I thought of was mentioned by IDEK and that's the weight of the synthetic versus wood stock. That and the overall weight difference between the two guns. I have a Pursuader 8+1 and a Field/Security but I'm not that sensitive to the recoil. Might be my fat shoulder. I don't know, lol. The other thing IDEK mentioned was the 870 maybe fitting better. The LOP (Length Of Pull) on the 500's may be longer as compared to the 870's pushing the stock further into your shoulder. Maybe it's simply technique. Even thought I have the recoil pad against my shoulder I tend to also hold the gun a bit firm using my forearm muscles to help with the recoil.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:33 PM   #11
roadrash

I think Mossbergs factory LOPs tend to run about 1/2" longer than Remingtons.whose LOP is even too long for 90% of the population.

Hack about 1 1/2" off that Mossberg and I bet it feels great.Being a "combat"shotgun makes a too long stock even more problematic.
Old November 4, 2011, 09:04 PM   #12
mongo356

My Mossberg shot guns had a really long LOP (length of pull) and I wanted a short traditional synthetic stock. Factory was 14” & other than the 12” Hogue that’s all I could find, seems a 13” was very hard to locate.

I noticed the new Mossberg 500 20ga Bantam stocks had adjustable spacers. I called Mossberg ordered two 20ga Bantam stocks sku#17286 $68.42ea. Today they arrived. Kit comes with 12”LOP stock & butt pad, and 1”spacer and another butt pad for the spacer (total of 13”LOP). They fit really well and have a very soft recoil pad (thats nice i'm kinda a panzy when it comes to recoil)

I attached the first one to my Mossberg 590. It fit great except it was a little skinny on the sides (probably about 1/8th of an inch). The top and bottom fits good and the sides don’t bother me but they are a little skinny. I have not attached the stock for the 12ga M500 yet but placed it together and it looks to fit the 12ga 500 the same way. Overall I am happy and having adjustability is great.
Old November 5, 2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Lateck

Replace the stock pad with a Limbsaver..... Well worth it!
For the Mossberg 590 with the synthetic stock I used the Limbsaver #10201.

Lateck,