The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 8, 2010, 08:30 AM   #1
longranger

Fine American Engraved Shotgun

I have for a long time admired finely engraved guns,have been learning engraving over the past 4 years.It will be some time before I reach this mans level.A fine study in English scrolls and exquisite bulino and gold inlay,the Eagle is unbelievable.We have some of the finest engravers in the world in our own backyard,they will compete with any of the Italian,German or French engravers,it is anything but a lost art,enjoy.
It has been said that engravers are the only artist that emcompass' the "heart,head and hands" few if any art forms require such dedication.

http://www.igraver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7798
Old July 8, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
zippy13

I'm amazed by the portrait work of some engravers. The one of Ryder is fantastic.
Old July 8, 2010, 12:14 PM   #3
BigJimP

Very nicely done ....

It was a pleasure to see some of the work ...and I agree, the Eagle is very well done.
Old July 8, 2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Waterengineer

Stunning. What else to say.....nothing.
Old July 8, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5
ScottRiqui

Not to take away from the artist's work (which is absolutely amazing), but am I the only one who's not a fan of photo-realistic portraiture and hunting/wildlife scenes on engraved guns?

Maybe it's the difference in resolution/fidelity between the scrollwork and the photo-realistic portions of the engraving, but I would have loved that shotgun just as much (if not more) without the portrait.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; July 8, 2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old July 8, 2010, 01:45 PM   #6
oneounceload

Typically, the "photo-realistic" work is done by the Bulino method, whereby the artist uses a tool called a bulino to make indentations in the metal. A detailed work can encompass over a million strikes with the tool. Like case coloring, however, they can also wear down and fade over time........but they sure are pretty.............look up Spielberg's Fabbris with the Jurassic Park engravings......
Old July 8, 2010, 02:24 PM   #7
BigJimP

For what its worth / I wouldn't want a portrait either ......
Old July 8, 2010, 02:34 PM   #8
kodiakbeer

Beautiful work, but the eagles and dragons and portraits take it from the realm of art into the realm of... gaudy. There's a reason Da Vinci didn't add a screaming eagle into the background of the Mona Lisa.
Old July 8, 2010, 07:47 PM   #9
zippy13

I wouldn't want a portrait, either; but, I'm awed by the craftsmanship. Makes me wonder if these guys are making plates for counterfeiting money in their spare time.
Old July 9, 2010, 06:23 AM   #10
PJR

There are many fine engravers in the United States. The man who did this gun is not one of them. Phil Coggan is Welsh and lives in Wales.

The gun is British too.