The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

View Poll Results: Have you shared your interest in blackpowder to a new shooter this year?
Yes, I have shared it with folks in my family. 5 35.71%
I do it all the time at the range...I've had several friends bitten by the bug too. 5 35.71%
I'm a certified black powder instructor and teach as many classes as I can. 1 7.14%
No. I am an old crumdungeon and I hate other people. 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 14, 2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Introduced others to blackpowder this year?

Yes, I would like to know.

It doesn't matter if you did it in a cartridge gun, cannon, muzzleloader or what not...

This is key to keeping out section of the hobby alive with younger shooters.
Old October 14, 2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Pahoo

I have been a Certified Hunter Safety Instructor for 20 years and to date, I figure I have promoted and instructed about 1800 students in Traditional and In-line M/L's. Have not kept track of special classes and competitions. Getting past the I's, there are instructors out there that make me look like a novice. In the Midwest, M/L's instructions is part of the course. Whenever I go to the range, I usually hold small classes and especially like working with the kids. Gives their adult supervision a bit of a break. I like it when a kid brags about shooting a .50 Cal.

Be Safe !!!!
Old October 14, 2009, 10:48 PM   #3
n5lyc

Kids

When i have the extra money, i run an ad in the local free trader paper to buy used muzzle loaders cheap, some have been donated when they find out what we do, and when we get 4 or 5 rifles we then get with the local scout troop and with parents permission (they can attend too) we hold a day at the range, shooting muzzle loaders.
And at the end of the day we give the rifles away in a drawing with their parents permission.

They all enjoy it and have a good day.

Ian
Old October 15, 2009, 09:20 AM   #4
grymster2007

I don't much care for people. I spend a lot of effort avoiding them, so I don't often try and bring new people into anything. I do have a few close friends (very few ) and a couple of family members who I can tolerate. While I don't actively try and recruit them, several have taken a much keener interest in firearms since I started shooting with them. When I bring my BP guns to camp, they seem to be very popular, but I haven't seen anyone run out and buy one yet.

Maybe I'll give a BP revolver to one of these people as a gift.... see if it catches on.
Old October 15, 2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Delmar

I was introduced to BP this summer, by a gun forum buddy. I was playing with making my own primers and a guy on the forums who learned from what I was doing sent me a .50 cal CVA as a gift!