The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 9, 2008, 01:59 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Nydar shotgun sight???

Has anyone used a Nydar sight? I came across one and dont understand how they work or if their any good. I know their old and not made anymore but most of the time the old stuff is better than the new things made.
Old September 9, 2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Slopemeno

Yeah, we had one at the shop I worked at.

It's a reflex sight. There is a prism in the base that picks up light and displays the "V", which you see reflected off the front lens, which is "away" from you as it's mounted on the gun.

Considering the era it's really quick. They had a tendency to lose their lens due to recoil and the primitive adhesives of the era.

When you think about it, other than the electric dot it's probably as quick as a C-more. I'd say it's probably worth more to a trap-gun collector than as a useable sight, since 30-40-50 MM red dot sights are everywhere these days.
Old September 9, 2008, 07:08 PM   #3
Scorch

Nydar??? Wow, talk about bringing back the ghosts from the past! Good sight, but they would get wet in the duck blind and you couldn't see anything through them. Great sight for dry-weather quail, though.
Old September 9, 2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Slopemeno

I tried to wheedle it away from my boss to mount on a paintball gun....thank god he stopped me.
Old September 10, 2008, 02:10 AM   #5
HiBC

Back in the early 70's we would find them at gunshows cheap.We would mount them on a steel ventilated handguard for an M1 Carbine.Carbine ammo was easy to find for 7 to 9 cents a round.It was a pretty good package for chopping down on the prolific Jack Rabbits of those days.
Now,there are the little sights based on the Tasco Optima.I'll brobably try one.This new Burris that mounts on a shotgun is interesting
Old September 10, 2008, 06:47 PM   #6
mikenbarb

Im gonna give this thing a try and see how it holds up. If the lens falls out, We now have Gorilla glue and JB Weld.LOL. And if all else fails, Duct tape!