The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 7, 2002, 10:13 PM   #1
Nuts and Bolts

volquartsen hammer and sear in 10/22

Due to advice I have seen by posters on this site to others, I purchased a volquartsen target hammer and sear kit, with hammer shims. I put the parts in my stainless 10/22, but have a problem. The trigger needs to be reset to the side and a little forward, or the trigger will not release the hammer. I took the trigger block out of the gun, tried to change the position and number of shims on the hammer pin. No luck. When I function the hammer manually, there are 2 clicks. When the hammer engages on the first click, the trigger works beautifully. If I push it back farther till it clicks again, the trigger has to be "set" before it will release the hammer. The only things i haven't tried that I can think of, is trying combos of old and new parts. Even carefully tried testing with live firing, with the same effect. Any ideas? Did I screw up? Thanx.
Old April 8, 2002, 06:52 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I don't know what you could have done. I haven't run across this problem using those components. You might give volquartsen a call. Usually the folks that make parts like this are very good a troubleshooting them over the phone. George
Old April 9, 2002, 07:10 PM   #3
Nuts and Bolts

Thanks George, I e-mailed then last night, so I guess I'll see what they figure. If that doesn't work I'll phone them.