The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 11, 2014, 05:52 PM   #1
GeeRawkz

Potential 308 Purchase Need Advice

Good afternoon gentlemen, I have a buddy who is selling me the following:

Remington 700,308
Synthetic free flow stock
20" Heavy fluted
chromly steel barrel 1: 12 twist 3.5 pound adjustable trigger to 2.5 pound.
Leupold Mark 4 Long Range Tactical M1 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-14x 50mm Side Focus Matte

The following are pictures:

The gun has never been used. What is a fair negotiating price? The initial starting price was $2000 any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 11, 2014, 09:30 PM   #2
steveNChunter

Looks like a model 700P LTR. It's a law enforcement model that is not listed on Remington's main website. In addition to all the features you can see, it has an aluminum bedding block in the stock

Well if it's all new, unfired, it's about a $1k rifle with about a $1k scope, not counting the rings and bipod. So you're not getting a steal at his asking price, but it's worth it. I'd offer him $1750 and see how bad he wanted to sell it. I would be wondering why someone has such a setup, never used, that they want rid of. Nice rifle though. Should be a tack driver. Wouldn't mind having it myself
Old October 11, 2014, 10:42 PM   #3
hoghunting

Looks as there might be a problem with the front ring or front base as the front ring is canted forward. I would make sure that is corrected or get a price deduction.
Old October 12, 2014, 05:34 AM   #4
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Well if it's all new, unfired, it's about a $1k rifle with about a $1k scope, not counting the rings and bipod. So you're not getting a steal at his asking price, but it's worth it. I'd offer him $1750 and see how bad he wanted to sell it. I would be wondering why someone has such a setup, never used, that they want rid of. Nice rifle though. Should be a tack driver. Wouldn't mind having it myself
+1

I have the same scope and you can find it online for just a hair under $1k, not 100% positive on the price for the rifle but $1000 sounds about right for a higher end Remington 700. I agree with the initial offer of $1750 as well.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old October 12, 2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Jimro

The rings on that scope look like Leupold Mk4 tactical rings, which have an MSRP over 200 bucks, so 2000 is actually a quite reasonable discount for the entire setup.

If you are buying from a friend, which is more important, friendship or 250 bucks?

Jimro
Old October 12, 2014, 02:15 PM   #6
steveNChunter

Quote:
Looks as there might be a problem with the front ring or front base as the front ring is canted forward. I would make sure that is corrected or get a price deduction.
I noticed that as well after I read that comment. Either it's not tight, as in maybe he just put the scope on really quick to take a picture of it, or the front ring or base is bent/damaged. If the ring has been tightened around the scope with it crooked like that, it could have damaged the scope. Give it a very close look when you see the rifle in person.
Old October 12, 2014, 04:07 PM   #7
GeeRawkz

Thank you all