The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 6, 2014, 06:50 PM   #1
harrinj

My Rem Model 700 is just two days old - already recalled

I'm sure all of you have heard, Remington's recalling nearly eight million rifles across multiple series due to trigger malfunctions - the rifles can fire by just flipping the safety or touching the bolt. The problem's evidently occurred the last 40 years or so, but executives have decided it'd be cheaper to recall all the rifles around the world rather than continue to pay off all the individual litigants. I just received my new left-handed Model 700 two days ago. Remington's agreed to the recall - the Federal court just needs to approve the plan...

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/remington...aulty-triggers
Old December 6, 2014, 08:05 PM   #2
rduckwor

Save yourself some heartburn. Buy a Timney replacement trigger and forget you heard of this recall. Two pins to drive out and in to replace the trigger group. The rifles going for replacement will be out of action for a really long time. There are millions covered by this recall.
Old December 6, 2014, 08:58 PM   #3
orionengnr

Quit buying into the hype.

Quote:
"the rifles can fire by just flipping the safety or touching the bolt."
Many of us have owned millions of M700s over the last 40+ years, and the vast majority have never experienced any troubles whatsoever. I have owned at least a half-dozen M700s over the years...no issues.

Have you owned a new car in the last 15-20 years? Every time you take it in for service, there is another recall (or three)...nearly all of which are ludicrous.

Our litigious society has made it impossible to sell an ice cream cone without a warning label which says "Do not stick the pointy end of cone in your eye"...but invariably, someone will, and then sue the cone maker...

Our idiocy is becoming our downfall.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:39 PM   #4
condor bravo

I own 70 model 700s and about the first thing I do with a new one is to lighten the trigger. There has never been a trigger problem.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

Only 2 Days Old?

If it was purchased new from a sporting goods/gun store, if it were me, I would ask them to take it back and give not a refund, but a credit towards the purchase of a model 70 Winchester. It's probably against store policy, but I would ask the manager to make an exception, under the circumstances. Be persuasive. Oh, but the Winchester costs more? It's worth more. Shoulda bought a Winchester. Just sayin'........ Do it tomorrow; the longer you wait the less chance they will accomodate your request.
Old December 7, 2014, 08:30 AM   #6
jmr40

You might check to be sure. There are 2 different recalls going on and any new rifle made within the last year should not be included. In a nutshell if your rifle is a new gun with a smooth trigger face it is in the recall. If the trigger face is grooved it is not.

http://remington.com/pages/news-and-...odelseven.aspx

In 1946 Mike Walker, a Remington engineer discovered that the trigger connector used in triggers used in Remington rifles could malfunction and release the sear with no trigger pull. While the odds of it happening are rare, it can happen and it has nothing to do with how light or heavy trigger pull is adjusted or how clean or dirty the trigger is.

When this happens the guns safety is the only thing holding back the firing pin. Move the safety to the fire position and the gun fires with no trigger pull. He designed a trigger with no connector. No other gun company used one anyway. Remington management declined to make the change because the new trigger would add 5 cents to the cost of the guns.

In October 2006 Remington finally adopted Walkers new trigger. Guns made since then do not have a trigger connector and will not do this. BUT... apparently during assembly some of those guns had adhesive drip into the trigger mechanism. Remington recalled those guns about a year ago to inspect triggers and clean those that needed cleaning.

The most recent recall involves every bolt gun made by Remington between 1946 and 2006, except the 788 which used a different trigger.
Old December 7, 2014, 08:38 AM   #7
trapper9260

I had check the site myself and see what was stated about the triggers and my is the rib not the other one.also there is also a problem with the lube that they have used also and that is the problem my had when I brought it to my gunsmith and he took the stock off of it and seen that the lube was the problem so I had him clean it complete and he said he also had to take the bolt apart because for how it was,now no more problems.Also for those that knows gun safety that you do not put your finger on the trigger when taken the safety off,That is how I was thought that you only put your finger on the trigger only when you shoot the gun not before or after.
Old December 7, 2014, 11:36 AM   #8
Metal god

Quote:
While the odds of it happening are rare, it can happen and it has nothing to do with how light or heavy trigger pull is adjusted or how clean or dirty the trigger is.

When this happens the guns safety is the only thing holding back the firing pin. Move the safety to the fire position and the gun fires with no trigger pull.
I'm here to tell you that the above is 100% TRUE . A buddy of mine bought an old 700 and the first day we took it out the gun fired twice when releasing the safety and we were able to duplicate the action a few more times with an empty chamber . This was last year but the rifle was made in the 70's .

Quote:
Save yourself some heartburn. Buy a Timney replacement trigger and forget you heard of this recall. Two pins to drive out and in to replace the trigger group.
This is what we/I did for him . I just happened to shoot that rifle yesterday and the new trigger is really nice . I think this is the trigger but not sure http://www.midwayusa.com/product/220...2-to-4-lb-blue

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 7, 2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Rmart30

Quote:
Save yourself some heartburn. Buy a Timney replacement trigger and forget you heard of this recall. Two pins to drive out and in to replace the trigger group.
I agree ... before i do anything else to a 700 I buy its put in a Timney.
Old December 9, 2014, 11:23 PM   #10
RC20

I don't much about the subject but I thought this was a good summation.

Quote:
You might check to be sure. There are 2 different recalls going on and any new rifle made within the last year should not be included. In a nutshell if your rifle is a new gun with a smooth trigger face it is in the recall. If the trigger face is grooved it is not.

http://remington.com/pages/news-and-...odelseven.aspx

In 1946 Mike Walker, a Remington engineer discovered that the trigger connector used in triggers used in Remington rifles could malfunction and release the sear with no trigger pull. While the odds of it happening are rare, it can happen and it has nothing to do with how light or heavy trigger pull is adjusted or how clean or dirty the trigger is.

When this happens the guns safety is the only thing holding back the firing pin. Move the safety to the fire position and the gun fires with no trigger pull. He designed a trigger with no connector. No other gun company used one anyway. Remington management declined to make the change because the new trigger would add 5 cents to the cost of the guns.

In October 2006 Remington finally adopted Walkers new trigger. Guns made since then do not have a trigger connector and will not do this. BUT... apparently during assembly some of those guns had adhesive drip into the trigger mechanism. Remington recalled those guns about a year ago to inspect triggers and clean those that needed cleaning.

The most recent recall involves every bolt gun made by Remington between 1946 and 2006, except the 788 which used a different trigger.
Old December 10, 2014, 01:47 AM   #11
math teacher

I have had the problem with a LH 700. Yes I did adjust the trigger. I did as rduckwor has suggested and replaced it wit a Timney. End of problem and a very fine trigger. Easy installation. I replaced a friend's trigger with a Rifle-basix trigger and he is just as happy.
Old December 10, 2014, 07:40 AM   #12
Rimfire5

I replaced the gritty 6 lb factory trigger in my Rem 700 about 4 years ago with a Timney that I got from Midway on sale for just under $ 80. The shipping cost was shared with items included in a pretty big order.

The smooth Timney 3.2 pound out of the box replaced the 6 lb gritty Remington trigger and dropped right into stock.
After I adjusted the Timney to 2lbs I did have to do a bit of grinding to the stock. The adjustment nut in the Timney moves out slightly as you lighten the pull and at 2 lbs the nut just touched the stock as the stock was refitted. A small amount of grinding with a Dremmel solved that problem.
The 2 lb Timney actually improved my average group size by about 0.2 of an inch at 100 yards over the original factory trigger.

If I had a 700 subject to recall, I wouldn't even consider letting Remington take months and months to replace a poor factory trigger with another factory trigger. I would recommend replacing the original trigger with a smoother and lighter Timney trigger and getting the replacement installed in about 20 minutes with no shipping hassles.
Old December 10, 2014, 05:07 PM   #13
flashhole

The forum needs a Like Button for rduckwor's comment.

Not sending my rifle back. I did discover that the final test after adjusting the Remington trigger is several sharp raps on a hard surface with the safety on and the bolt cycled (with no round in the chamber). If it "fires", it's adjusted too light. Mine is a Rem 700 in 221 Fireball. No way am I sending it back.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 10, 2014, 05:16 PM   #14
riflemen

I have had and have many 700's, no issues, when I first heard it all I checked the ones in the safe, trying to get them to malfunction, no luck {or the opposite of that rather}...

I normally swap out my 700 trigs for jewels anyway though...
Old December 10, 2014, 07:16 PM   #15
steveNChunter

Quote:
I did discover that the final test after adjusting the Remington trigger is several sharp raps on a hard surface with the safety on and the bolt cycled (with no round in the chamber). If it "fires", it's adjusted too light.
That's standard procedure for me when I adjust any trigger, not just Remingtons. I currently have four rifles that have the "Walker trigger" and not one has ever had a malfunction. I may get around to putting a Timney in a couple of them someday but it won't be because I feel they are unsafe. There may have been a few cases where a clean, properly maintained and adjusted trigger failed, but many more cases have been due to gunk/dirt buildup, and improperly adjusted/modified triggers. The media (mostly CNBC) has also contributed to making this situation worse than it could've been. Cerberus is doing a good enough job of running Remington(among their other brands) in the ground without the media's help.
Old December 13, 2014, 02:37 AM   #16
gunnut69

The Walker trigger does have a weakness. The 'connector' floats in the trigger. If it is damaged or should someone unwisely use something like WD-40 it can and has caused AD's. I worked on a nice 243 ADL that wouldn't cock. Cleaning with spray solvent and re-lubing with graphite solved the problem. If the connector sticks and the trigger is pulled with the safety engaged the rifle cab fire when the safety is disengaged. People have died from this...
Old December 13, 2014, 06:51 AM   #17
steveNChunter

I realize the trigger does have a design flaw that becomes more apparent when improper cleaning practices are used or the lack of cleaning all together. I'm glad Remington is offering this recall for those who feel unsafe with the Walker trigger.

I personally feel that I can trust my rifles with the Walker trigger because I keep them clean, they aren't adjusted too light, no WD-40 or similar solvent has touched them, and most importantly, I don't point the rifle in an unsafe direction and I don't flip the safety off until I'm pointing the muzzle at what I want to shoot.

People have indeed died from this, but if they would have followed the simple rules of gun safety they wouldn't have died. Remington designed the trigger, but they didn't point the rifle at someone.
Old December 13, 2014, 07:16 AM   #18
rkittine

Is it best to get the standard 510 Timney for the 700 or the 510CE?

Bob
Old December 13, 2014, 02:39 PM   #19
Metal god

Here are some pics of the trigger that was failing or AD'ing . It was dirty for sure . We did clean the rifle before shooting but did not take the action out of the stock . That's a must to clean the trigger . At the time I did not even consider removing the action and cleaning the trigger . IMHO most of us would not have done that , Just the good old standard rifle cleaning and go shoot . From now on though I will break down all used/new to me rifles and clean before shooting .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Tags
recall , remington , trigger