The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 17, 2015, 06:29 PM   #1
blitzer

Beretta PX4

Impulse purchased one of these today because it was marked down really low at a local shop. It is brand new in box and I think I could make a bit off of it if I sold it. Is it worth keeping? I'm typically a striker fire type of guy but I love Beretta products. Just not sure what the more inclined DA/SA shooters have to say about it.
Old December 17, 2015, 06:43 PM   #2
Independent George

I think it's a fine gun. My primary complaint is that I find the slide mounted safety rather awkward, but ultimately that's a minor complaint if you use it as a decocker only.
Old December 17, 2015, 06:48 PM   #3
pblanc

I have never owned a PX4. I know a lot of people who really like them and feel they are underrated. Then there are the people who generally hate Berettas and complain about the slide mounted safety/decocker.

I do have three Cougars, two Berettas and a Stoeger in three different calibers and they all shoot very well and have been completely reliable. The Cougar was in a sense the predecessor to the PX4 and has the same rotary barrel lock up mechanism. Whether it is due to the rotary barrel design or in spite of it, I find all of my Cougars (9mm, .40 caliber, and .45 caliber) to be soft shooting.

I don't know what model you have (F, G, or D). The D model is a DAO so yours must be an F (safety/decocker) or a G (decocker only, no safety).

If you have an F and you want to convert it to a G model you can do so with no extra parts. There is a thread on the beretta forum showing you how. If you want a G model and don't like the "bat wings" on the decocker lever that stick out from the frame, you can buy a stealth decocker lever from Beretta.
Old December 17, 2015, 11:20 PM   #4
saber9

I personally think the Italian made Beretta PX4 is one of the most underrated pistols on the market. It is not the "perfect" firearm for everyone, but neither is anything else. All the people I know who own one like them very much.

Beretta does very little advertising for the PX4 compared to that for the 92 series and less advertising overall than Glock, S & W, Ruger, Springfield and many others. I do not own a PX4 because I have the equivalent models of a couple of other brands but I would still like to get one sometime. I have long admired the Italian made Beretta's.
Old December 17, 2015, 11:50 PM   #5
Cyanide971

Love mine, a DAO model. Shoots great and has functioned with everything I've fed it. Just my .02, keep it and shoot it. Ya may find that it might be a breath of fresh air compared to striker-fire pistols.
Old December 18, 2015, 11:30 AM   #6
TailGator

My daughter has a compact F model in 9 mm. Unfortunately, she currently lives in a locale with highly restrictive firearm laws and it lives with me. Faithful father that I am, I try to exercise it regularly.

I agree with those who say that it is under-rated, or at least under-recognized. It shoots as softly and comfortable as the heavier 92FS, and maybe a bit softer. Accuracy is excellent, and I really like the ergonomics (although I recognize that it is a matter of personal taste). Shoot it a bit and you are likely to think it is a keeper.
Old December 18, 2015, 02:49 PM   #7
Bart Noir

I also think it is an excellent design.

My .40 caliber full sized Px4 was a soft shooter and I only sold it because I don't want to own .40s. But I like it.

I am keeping the Px4 Compact in 9mm. It has a better trigger feel than the M92s and it is a soft recoiling pistol. Mine is at my preferred gunsmith to get some stippling done to the removable back-strap, since it just feels a little slippery to me.

Great gun!

Bart Noir
Old December 18, 2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Pianoguy

I've had the compact model for a few years. It's been good enough that I have never been able to justify buying any other similar DA/SA 9mm (and there's a lot of other ones that are pretty good but generally at a higher cost). As good a trigger as any of my other DA/SA pistols, very reliable, solidily built and a pretty decent price, especially these days. As has been said you just don't use the safety when carrying - just as a de-cocker so where it's located is pretty irrelevant. If your buying the full-size model for the range I would say it stackes up pretty well if not better than most pistols in its price range.
Old December 18, 2015, 06:14 PM   #9
vyse.04

Quote:
It is brand new in box and I think I could make a bit off of it if I sold it. Is it worth keeping?
Without knowing the price you paid, I would say to keep it. They are one of the more underrated handguns on the market, so I would imagine you would have to wait for the right buyer. I don't see the value going up as it is not a rare gun either. Most shops will not be willing to part with guns at such a loss, especially if the demand was there. I almost picked up a Compact a few years back, but decided on something else at the time. Now if you got it for $200, put it up for sale.
Old December 18, 2015, 07:51 PM   #10
Banger357

Reliable (never had any issues in... I'd guess a couple thousand rounds. Not sure exactly), in my opinion extremely comfortable, and easy to take care of. I'm a big fan of these guns- I think they're very well thought out and well made. I don't know if the rotating barrel thing is a gimmick or not, but it does seem like these shoot softer than similarly sized/ weighted guns of the same caliber.
Old December 18, 2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Oysterboy

The real question is...

What do YOU think of it? The PX4 had been considered one of the best in 9mm so you did well if you got a good deal on it.
Old December 18, 2015, 08:10 PM   #12
6mm

Been happy with mine. Have about 1500 rds out of my full size, never a problem.

Old December 18, 2015, 08:23 PM   #13
GoPappy

I don't have that much experience with a lot of different pistols, but I can say that my full size PX4 (9mm) shoots softer than my Walther PPQ 9mm and Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9.

I find that I shoot it better than the Walther. (I haven't had enough time with the Bersa to make much of an accuracy comparison.)

I agree that the PX4 is an underrated pistol. Some people think it's a little funky looking, but that's ok. I didn't buy it to put it under a glass dome and admire its looks.
Old December 18, 2015, 11:00 PM   #14
seeker_two

Question: Are the magazines interchangeable between the PX4 and the Cougar in the same calibers?
Old December 19, 2015, 12:21 AM   #15
lifesizepotato

I think they're great. Very reliable, noticeably soft shooting, good accuracy and excellent triggers for the pricepoint. I'd keep it if I were you.
Old December 19, 2015, 12:00 PM   #16
pblanc

Unfortunately, PX4 Storm and Cougar magazines are not interchangeable.