The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 24, 2007, 09:28 AM   #1
TNBulldog

Even subconciously I think Taurus's suck

This is kinda funny, and not to beat up on the Taurus guys, but last night I had a dream about buying one. I've been trying to figure out what to get my dad for his birthday and I dreamed I bought a 44 mag taurus for him. In my dream I got it out of the box and it was all rickety and loose and I was afraid to shoot it. I tried to take it back, but they were like "uh, uh, it's yours now, we've been trying to get rid of that thing."

It's funny that's how I even subconciously feel about them
Old August 24, 2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Ernest T Bass

I totally agree.

I have shot several Taurus pistols and they have been great. I own a Taurus .22 rifle that I absolutely love. But I still automatically default to thinking that they’re crap, even though all of my personal experiences have been great with them. I wonder if there is “Taurus therapy” for this sort of thing? You know, where the doctor hypnotizes you and repeats over and over “Taurus firearms are okay…Taurus firearms are okay…”
Old August 24, 2007, 10:11 AM   #3
oldmantod

wery intellesting....

Hmmm... thats very interesting..

I have heard folks with similar stories about:
  • Glock
  • Springfield
  • Smith and Wesson
  • Hi-point
  • KelTec
  • Walther
  • Kahr
  • Para-Ord
  • FNP
  • Ruger
  • Sig
  • H&K
  • Charter Arms
  • North American Arms
I wonder if there is a growing trend?

I will keep my eyes peeled!

- T
Old August 24, 2007, 10:25 AM   #4
357MagFan

I had 2 experiences with Taurus revolvers, the first revolver I ever shot was a 5inch barrel Taurus .357 mag at an indoor shooting range. At the time I didnt know anything about the major gun companies and a Taurus meant nothing to me as well as Ruger or S&W. All I have to say is that I really liked that gun. It felt balanced, shot accurate and the recoil felt nice. I wanted one just like it.
The second Taurus I shot was a friends 8shot .357 mag. I dont know if it was his fault or not but that gun was extremely rickity. It was accurate but after just a couple rounds the screws all over the gun were coming lose. I noticed that the cylinder gap was too big and that it had developed that endshake problem. It just seemed like a piece of junk to me and turned me off from buying Taurus' guns.
So basically I have the same problem as you, everytime I think of Taurus' I think of that cheap quality one I shot and have a bias that they are all like that.
Old August 24, 2007, 11:39 AM   #5
rugerdude29

I think that you can find lemons in any group if you look long enough. Whether it be guns, knives, trucks, etc. If you get a bunch of guys together, you will hear the good, the bad, and the ugly on almost anything. Its kinda like the Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge thing that has been going on forever. With the amount of automation and mass production we have today, it is amazing, at least to me, that we don't have more lemons than we do. As far as Taurus guns go, I have a Model 84 .38 Special. Its been around for a while (has 5 screws and the barrel is pinned), but it still shoots great. A friend has a newer Taurus snub-nose .38. Kicks like a little mule, but has given him zero problems. Another member of our little group has a .454 Raging Bull and a PT 1911. No problems from either. And all of these guns have been shot A LOT. I think one of the biggest reasons for the amount of problems we are hearing about various manufacturers guns is the internet. It is so easy nowadays to log on and air our feelings. I don't think there is any more problem with Taurus products than with any other manufacturer. Just my .02 worth. Now I'll get off my soapbox.
Old August 24, 2007, 11:47 AM   #6
kellyj00

I hear a lot more about Glock .40 KB's than taurus KB's, so should I be inclined to think that glock's are inferior?

One man's opinion is just that I guess. You don't like taurus, that's too bad. They make a good inexpensive pistol....especially the pt99 series, and I bought one for my pa a few years back for father's day. He loves it, and I bought it because I personally love that pistol, especially for the $350 plus tax that I paid for it, new, in box, stainless with light rail.

More for me. Start telling folks how you hate briskett too, maybe that will stick and the price of beef will go down.
Old August 24, 2007, 12:38 PM   #7
44and45

Wake up to reality, dream dude.

There is a difference in making up stories and they call it BS.
Old August 24, 2007, 01:57 PM   #8
MosinM38

My uncle has a .38 Snubnose Taurus. he has easily 3,000 rounds through it and that is the slickest little gun you will find.

Just recently dad bought a .22 with a 5" barrel.. A little rough at first but it has smoothed out after about 600 rounds.
Interesting dream though

As for Brisket.. Can't beat bacon made outta that.

One sortof interesting footnote.. A LOT of people call the Charter Arms Explorer 2 Semi-auto a piece of trash (Well. A lot worse but thats all that can be posted here ).
I got one. I paid $99.50 for it (Including shipping) and figured I wasn't out much. At first it jammed every 3rd shot or so. Well after about 200 rounds through it it averaged once a magazine (8 shot). At 400 rounds through it really started purring. I have about 900 through it now and I only get a jam every 60 rounds or so (And I think it is the ammo). It is the only handgun that I consider any gopher under 40 yards dead any circumstances.
Old August 24, 2007, 02:24 PM   #9
kellyj00

subconsciously, I'm in love with rosie odonell.
Old August 24, 2007, 02:28 PM   #10
rugerdude29

Oh man! That is waaaaaay too much information!!!
Old August 24, 2007, 02:37 PM   #11
MosinM38

OH great. Now I am gonna have nightmares :barf:
Old August 24, 2007, 06:43 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Can't see this one going anywhere good...