The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 27, 2013, 11:17 AM   #1
SC4006

Why are most anti-gunners so delusional?

I am just truly baffled at the ridiculous ideas that these anti-gunners come up with. I've heard a lot of ideas tossed around like an "AWB", banning ALL semi autos, or even a full ban of all firearms. Just wondering, why is it so hard for them to realize that none of that will work, and all it will do is hurt us and give the criminals the upper hand? I think most anti's maybe are just unwilling to even listen to our side, because they're afraid that we might actually be right. Oh and the thing that baffles me most, are the anti-gun protesters who call the NRA a murderous organization... Riiiiight.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

They have unwittingly confused what they hope will happen with what realistically is likely to happen.

There's also a problem with mis-identification. For example, they might say "I want a world without guns." What they most likely mean is actually "I want a world in which we didn't need guns," or "I want a world without violence." This blog post, A World Without Guns, makes some interesting points about, well, a world without guns.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3
CSHammond

That's fine and dandy to have a WORLD without guns, but the law they are trying to get passed only applies to us, not the world. I don't believe that our governmental leaders in office are the actual ones making the decisions of the country anymore. And it's been that way for a long time. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I do believe they are just puppets and the top money controlling bank families are pulling the strings.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:12 PM   #4
SC4006

Quote:
they are just puppets and the top money controlling bank families are pulling the strings
Yeah it sure does seem like that.

Old January 27, 2013, 12:18 PM   #5
SC4006

Thanks Spats McGee, that was a good read.

Old January 27, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
hardworker

Quote:
I think most anti's maybe are just unwilling to even listen to our side, because they're afraid that we might actually be right. Oh and the thing that baffles me most, are the anti-gun protesters who call the NRA a murderous organization... Riiiiight.
The same could be said for the pro-gunners...

Just like the anti's, some pro gunners are notorious for cooking stats and misrepresenting data to push a pro-gun agenda. While I sympathize with the goal, I find some of the methods are an affront to logic and reason.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:36 PM   #7
SC4006

True I suppose. Seems like there are more anti's that are unwilling to hear about our ideas though, could be wrong.

Old January 27, 2013, 02:53 PM   #8
DaleA

I have a friend that thinks the root of the problem is some kind of human behavior glitch where some people just have this urge to tell other people what to do (even to the point of FORCING people to do things - although they typically want someone else to do the actual enforcement).

Some catagories he gets into are gun control, religion, politics, food and the environment.

He's got a hilarious diatribe on the topic but the more I think about it the more I think he is onto something.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Dr Big Bird PhD

I agree DaleA. It's a form of sadism in my opinion
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 27, 2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Famas

I saw a movie once about a time and place in which only the military had guns. It's called "Schindler's List".
Old January 27, 2013, 04:42 PM   #11
P5 Guy

For a complete explanation C-Span is running the Gun Ban dog and pony show.
It started a 4:10 and run thru 6:00.
I'm trying not to puke.
Old January 27, 2013, 04:57 PM   #12
chief

Quote: " pro gunners are notorious for cooking stats and misrepresenting data to push a pro-gun agenda "

So true Hardworker, I'm sorry to say but the NRA has to change there PR people like NOW.. When I was watching pierce Morgan a few weeks ago I was appalled at the people representing the pro-gun civilians..Oh man so un-educated people.. There as to be a better excuse then the 2nd Amendment..which I believe became a stale excuse and will eventually be un-done.
Old January 27, 2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Webleymkv

Quote:
So true Hardworker, I'm sorry to say but the NRA has to change there PR people like NOW.. When I was watching pierce Morgan a few weeks ago I was appalled at the people representing the pro-gun civilians..Oh man so un-educated people.. There as to be a better excuse then the 2nd Amendment..which I believe became a stale excuse and will eventually be un-done.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see beacons of truth and reason on Piers Morgan's show. Morgan has an agenda to push and finding the most ridiculous people he can to represent the opposing viewpoint is an effective way to do it. By intentionally choosing ignorant, extreme, or poorly speaking people to represent the pro-2A side of things, Morgan hopes to discredit the whole movement. The NRA could have William Shakespeare himself to represent them and it wouldn't make any difference because he'd never appear on Piers Morgan's show to begin with.
Old January 27, 2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Zevyn

The anti-gunners are better at spreading misinformation to the un-opinionated because they have the media on their side.
Old January 27, 2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Moby

Unfortunately people just live in a fantasy world and believe OUR government would not allow it's citizens to be forced into things most of us consider unacceptable.

It is imperative for a free people to control their government rather then be controlled BY their government. The ONLY way for this to happen is that the government understands clearly that its citizens, if pushed too far, can revolt and are armed enough to do it. We have roughly a 4 million man army. There are 300,000,000 guns owned by over 180,000,000 citizens. The left wing in government would love nothing more than to change this.
People think America is some shining light of a country that is different from all the rest. This is why many in the world see us as arrogant. Our government is run by humans. Humans by nature are corrupt and self centered. We can be oppressed by our government like any other.

In England, TODAY, RIGHT NOW, in 2013, the citizens are unarmed and not ALLOWED to defend themselves without serious risk of being prosecuted. Authorities are so afraid of being labeled racist that they allow "NO GO" Zones, or Sharia controlled areas. A white male or uncovered female will be beaten or raped and police or fire department WILL NOT ENTER THESE ZONES.

In Norway they are seeing the same problems, Australia, Germany, France and other countries are seeing major issues with violence against infidels.
We believe our country would never be oppressive. IT ALREADY IS OPPRESSIVE! It's just HOW MUCH WE'LL TOLLERATE!

I believe the fight right now is with the pen. Try and take guns and it could get ugly. Our founding father were talking about assault weapons.

Here’s what our founding fathers said after homes were forcefully invaded by King Georges troops and the home owner had no choice but to give them quarter, food, and in many cases their wives and daughters were raped. So please, do not tell me the 2nd amendment is a poor excuse for gun (assault weapon) ownership. IF IS THE MOST FUNDAMENTLE REASON AND WE SHOULD NEVER ALLOW IT TO BE DIMINISHED IN ANY WAY!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

Remember of the 56 signers of the declaration of independance 39 were lawyers, all were wealthy and influencial men. These were not fools. They lived through a terrible time in our countries history and vowed to never allow it to happen again.

YET HERE WE ARE
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 27, 2013, 06:10 PM   #16
pturner67

The funny thing about anti-gun people is that they believe in having all of the rights in the world (free speech, press, cruel and unusual punishment, etc, etc) but they don't understand that the 2nd Amendment is the one Constitutional right that keeps the "Powers That Be" from taking away all of our other rights. One day, these same anti-gun people will wake up to find that it's against the law to complain about how tyrannical things have become...and they will idiotically wonder why. Pathetic.

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:17 PM   #17
eldermike

Famas, I like the way you think.
Old January 27, 2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Moby

One day, these same anti-gun people will wake up to find that it's against the law to complain about how tyrannical things have become...and they will idiotically wonder why. Pathetic.

They do not believe it can happen here.

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/09/2...phet-of-islam/
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 27, 2013, 06:40 PM   #19
pturner67

I think you're right Moby
Old January 27, 2013, 07:35 PM   #20
olddav

Moby, I like some of your points but please don't use the word excuse when describing a constutional right. Just seems wrong!
Old January 31, 2013, 09:19 PM   #21
oldgunsmith

Don't you know that gun owners are all paranoid and anti-gunners who can't even touch one without getting goose bumps are not?
Old January 31, 2013, 09:54 PM   #22
SycoPath

"I saw a movie once about a time and place in which only the military had guns. It's called "Schindler's List"."

I think about "Blade Runner" when the cop is telling Deckerd that "if you aren't one of us, you are little people, and you know what happens to little people."
Old January 31, 2013, 10:13 PM   #23
terzmo

Actually, the anti gunners have the same attitude that alot of people have. "Nothing bad will happen to me if there were no guns" We had a world without guns centuries ago and mankind still killed/raped/extinguished races
Police protection is mostly writing a report ...after the fact.

I choose to be able to protect myself,family and neighbors if need be. One person cannot stop three or more unless he has an equalizer. Even if a terrible marksman, I prefer at least a "chance" of getting through a situation.
Anti gunners live in a dreamworld where nothing will happen to them. Good luck.

On the other hand...I'm concerned over the macho statements being tossed around at the anti gunner crowd. Also the tee shirts being sold that are vulgar and,in my opinion, inflame the anti gunner crowd and possibly swaying the "on the fence crowd" into joining the oposition camp.

I prefer a peaceful, legal organized defense of our RIGHTS. (not to say others don't)
Old January 31, 2013, 11:46 PM   #24
Koda94

Why are most anti-gunners so delusional?

Because they are in denial. Denial of their own responsibility to protect themselves from criminal attack and possibly tyranny.

The one that gets me the most is the illogic of 'why cant we just duke it out instead of killing'. First of all I don't want to kill anyone even a criminal. Second, that logic is pure denial that there is somebody else out there that is stronger or has the advantage even if unarmed.

Another thing that I dont understand is that many anti-gunners are so adamant about proving their point with statistics but many completely ignore statistics that prove that more guns = less crime.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Rifleman1776

Spats gave a good response.
Fact is, a "why?" question can never be answered.
They have a mindset that is based on emotion. Facts cannot change their thinking patterns.
I never argue with an anti-gunner. It is a waste of breath.
Closed Thread