The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 11, 2001, 01:19 PM   #1
RHC

Age of Ruger Mark I

My wife's grandfather asked me to look after his Ruger Mark I before he died (with the idea that I will pass it on to whichever great grandchild seems most suited.) He used it for years in Colorado in the mountains as a rancher and hunter. He never told me much about it, other than to say his first wife gave it to him.

It doesn't actually say Ruger mark I on it, just "Ruger 22 cal long rifle automatic pistol"

The only number I see is 5xxx on the right side of the frame. How old would this be, and where can I get some additional mags for it? I don't really care about the value, because I'm not interested in selling it.
Old July 11, 2001, 05:32 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

RHC
Don't have the age, but you can get mags from

SEARCH:
gunparts
or
Numerich Arms
On the internet.

If you want the dissassem instructions w/photos I can email them to you.

HJN
Old July 11, 2001, 06:56 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Sounds like it might not be a Mk I. Could be a Standard Model, made from 51-82. Or, if it has a recessed red enamel eagle in left hand grip, could be what is known as the "Red Eagle"....made tween 1949-1952.

Sam
Old July 11, 2001, 07:03 PM   #4
BADSBSNF81

You have a Type III Red Eagle 4 3/4 " Standard Automatic. About 5,400 were made from 3/50-9/50. Third most common of the Red Eagle Standard automatics. Grips should be hard rubber without grip screw escutcheons and may have either a one piece or two piece red eagle medallion in the left grip. HTH
Old July 11, 2001, 07:05 PM   #5
BADSBSNF81

What I should have typed was that the SN you give is in the range of 5,400 that were made from 3/50-9/50.
Old July 11, 2001, 09:39 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Cool Bad.

Sam
Old July 14, 2001, 11:38 AM   #7
RHC

I'm not sure what an eschuteon would be as far as screws are concerned, but if it means a shield or cover then the gun indeed does not have those; the screws have no covers. The top screw on the left grip is recessed, the bottom one is not. It does have hard rubber grips and a red eagle in a circular inset on the left grip.

A date of about 1950 would probably be correct, since he said that it was given to him by his wife and daughter. The daughter (e.g., my mother-in-law) has no memory of that, but she would have been only about 16 at the time, so it was probably the wife who did it and put the kids' names on it.

Would Mark I mags work in it? I only have one and it's got some very sharp edges that usually result in a little blood when it's repeatedly loaded.
Old July 15, 2001, 10:24 PM   #8
BADSBSNF81

The only way to be 100% sure is to try one. It should work.
Old July 19, 2001, 01:44 AM   #9
Westicle

Ruger Mark 1 Target

I have a ruger Mark 1 Target Circe 1960, I use ruger Mark 2 mags in it by reversing the Loading Knob from one side to the other..... just push the pin in on the bottom of the floor plate and switch the knob around when it gets to the place with the cut outs to do so.

that way you also make your 9 shooter into a 10 shooter.

I have one old mag that I am keeping that is a 9 shooter but I use the 10's for range work and plinking.

1970 is when they changed the mag design.