The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 23, 2012, 10:47 AM   #1
psyfly

Interesting article in women's fashion

magazine regarding women and guns:

http://www.elle.com/Life-Love/Societ...ld-I-Buy-a-Gun

Amanda Fortini, free-lance writer and contributor to (mostly New York) magazines, talks about her epiphany and subsequent education about guns.

I find this interesting on several levels but, for the purposes of this forum:

1.) Is it possible that we are beginning to see the "normalization" of firearms ownership when the editors of a NY-published (French owned) fashion magazine think their readers will be interested?

2.) The article illustrates, among many other things, that comfort with firearms is not necessarily immediately or rapidly gained.

3.) What can we do, as a community, to help our image with those who know little or nothing about the issue(s) involved? (Other than one at a time, that is).

If nothing else, the editors of this women's magazine believe that the issue of women and guns is something that their readers now want to hear about.

I hope this is the beginning of a trend.

Best,

Will
Old January 23, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

Quote:
"...firing one for the first time is a weird combination of startling and banal. Guns are (pardon the pun) loaded with so much cultural baggage that you think you know what to expect. You don’t. TV gunshots sound and act no more like real gunshots than construction-paper snowflakes resemble real snowflakes. My next thought is, I want to do that again!..."
Thanks for the link. I actually read the whole article... It's long and kinda "girlie" but well-written.

Quote:
What can we do?... I hope this is the beginning of a trend.
For sure it is. The stats show it. I think we're doing a lot just by contributing to this forum. The trend is evolving in it's own way in it's own time and includes so many influences from Annie Oakley, for example, to tonight's female-TV-detectives and a whole lot more. Familiarty with firearms happens for everyone in their own way in their own time, step by step. One can always get more involved in the trend if one wants to by participating in any events where people and firearms meet. Just move towards them. Things will happen... One step at a time.
Old January 23, 2012, 12:09 PM   #3
egor20

Thanks psyfly I'm gong to have to get a copy and see how long it takes my wife to notice that I'm reading a NY/French fashion magazine. The downside is, once she reads the gun article she'll want to look at the new line of boots. (shudders)

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 23, 2012, 03:06 PM   #4
BarryLee

Quote:
Is it possible that we are beginning to see the "normalization" of firearms ownership
Yes, I wonder the same thing.

I could not find a link on their WEB site, but in the print version of the Atlanta Journal there was a very good story about a Ladies Gun/Book Club. They meet at a local range for target practice and then move to a book store to discuss this Month’s book. What was neat is that these did not all seem to be traditional firearms enthusiast or even women in fear, but just average people who see this as another legitimate hobby.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 23, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
psyfly

So, how about it?

Any of our members up there in Montana feel like reaching out?

If she comes down to Texas, I could introduce her to Dee Dee Snavely .

Best,

Will
Old January 23, 2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Ruthless4christ

along the same lines, here is stat on USA today about woman gun owners.