Old January 2, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
pichon

Opticsplanet.com? What's the deal?

I just last night placed an order with opticsplanet for:

1. 2 50rd. 308 ammo boxes
2. 4 100rd 45acp ammo boxes
3. 1 bottle brass polish
4. 1 box corncob polishing media

They said they had it all and the order went through but this morning I got an email saying, your order is on hold because we are out of stock on: and then they listed every item on the order. Do they even maintain a stock of anything?

Has anyone had a similar experience with them?
Old January 2, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Ronbo1

optics planet

I have ordered quite a few times from them, holsters and scopes and everything was always in stock. I didn't know they listed ammo boxes and things like that. I had to return one scope that came defective and they refunded my return shipping and sent another scope. I was always happy with them.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old January 2, 2010, 08:29 PM   #3
RickE

I just received my order for a Bianchi holster two days earlier than I expected. I paid $49 for the same one everyone else wanted $55-$70. And, shipping was free. No problems for me, sorry. I would call them, get someone making more than minimum wage, and get some answers. They can't be out of all those items. Threaten to cancel the order, and to tell everyone you can (which you more or less already have) about your experience with them. Or, place the order by phone, verify inventory at that time, and GET NAMES. I have seen similar problems online with them. I may have been lucky. Good luck.
Old January 3, 2010, 12:21 AM   #4
docpadds

If the items you are buying are drop shipped then they dont get updated inventory feeds from the distributors until next day, some do it overnight, some in early hours etc...

If something had inventory on their system but by the time they got the new inventory file during the wee hours of the night it was 0 then your out of luck, because the fulfillment centers don't actually process the drop ships until next morning.

I would be surprised if it was all 4 things, but you never know, where they get the inventory from may well be out.
Old January 3, 2010, 12:55 AM   #5
LukeA

I recently bought a scope and rings from them and they said the rings were out of stock and would ship in 5-10 business days. Both items shipped the next day, though.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:19 AM   #6
pichon

Quote:
I recently bought a scope and rings from them and they said the rings were out of stock and would ship in 5-10 business days. Both items shipped the next day, though.
Here's hoping for a similar experience.
Old January 3, 2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Rollin Thunder

I've never had a problem with them.....maybe the holidays???
Old January 3, 2010, 09:25 AM   #8
alloy

Quote:
Do they even maintain a stock of anything?
They strike me as an internet cyber outfit, so I would guess....NO. Maybe I'm wrong and they have a massive warehouse somewhere with lots of stock pickers and forklifts.
Old January 3, 2010, 09:48 AM   #9
22-rimfire

I have ordered from them and only have good experiences to relate. No business stocks everything all of the time... even Walmart.
Old January 3, 2010, 10:24 AM   #10
Jim243

Not only a warehouse but a store too. Have always had good results from them. Fast shipping and good products, but I only live 20 miles from them, but I have never been to their store. Will have to go one of these days.

Jim
Old January 3, 2010, 10:44 AM   #11
alloy

Quote:
Not only a warehouse but a store too.
Good to know, my opinion has risen another notch..
Old January 3, 2010, 09:54 PM   #12
pichon

Quote:
No business stocks everything all of the time... even Walmart.
I understand that but they didn't even have one of the items I ordered. If it was one or two items, ok, but not the entire order...
Old January 4, 2010, 12:03 PM   #13
powergunner

Ordered from them a bunch and never a problem. If you think the item might not be in stock just call. CS is superb
Old January 5, 2010, 12:25 AM   #14
Stevie-Ray

Only ordered from them a couple times, but with great success.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:23 AM   #15
stargazer65

I've ordered a lot from them, no problems so far,
Old January 5, 2010, 07:58 AM   #16
cartman308

I've only ordered once from them, but didn't have a bit of problems either.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:35 AM   #17
5whiskey

I've ordered from optics planet several times. I don't think you'll have any problems. Even if it did pop up as out of stock, I bet you still get your goodies in 7 business days or less. Never had any problems with OP, I think they're a good company.
Old January 5, 2010, 04:58 PM   #18
r.w. schrack

Great Place with reasonable prices. Like other places I'm sure hot items are sold quickly. They are established so why worry.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:10 PM   #19
Richy Fiberglass

Opticplanets

I have ordered several times from them for my GSG's, and never had a problem. I am sure that it was that they ran out of stock and will fill your order. They are easy enough to get in touch with.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:38 PM   #20
pichon

Well, 9 days later, I have been in contact with them, still no projected ship date.

I'm not worried that they will rip me off, just that it will take a month to get my items.
Old January 12, 2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Hook686

I've bought scopes, mounts, shooting goggles, night vision, camera adapters from them and never had a delay, or problem.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:03 PM   #22
riggins_83

I've ordered several things from them (mostly holsters). A couple times it hasn't said out of stock but has been backordered. I'm not terribly impressed with them..... I usually call before I order anything to check stock with them.
Old January 17, 2010, 12:54 AM   #23
jg0001

Call them on the phone. They actually answer, are local (i.e. USA), and have been very helpful anytime I've ever had to call them.

I've had a backorder issue before as well (both where the item originally showed in stock AND where the item was backordered for a while).

That said, I ALWAYS go to them first for new gear. Far better than Cabelas/Midway/Natchez/etc; better pricing, free shipping, people who answer the phone right away, etc.
Old January 18, 2010, 10:29 PM   #24
Mark G.

I don't think they maintain stock in anything. I have ordered & it was sent right out & have ordered and have everything backordered. It seems to be a real crap shoot with them & you need to be careful of their prices.
Old January 24, 2010, 05:21 PM   #25
wey97

I paid 3 day UPS and the 1st email said the order shipped and I'd get tracking info. soon. Waited another day and hadn't gotten the tracking. I used their chat system to ask a low level cust. svc. rep. and she told me the whole order was on hold due to one product out of two on backorder. I asked why they didn't at least ship the one item and all she said was "Would you like us to split the order?" Gee, you think? It's probably a cost thing.

I asked why in the hell the email said the order had shipped. I was told that they had to mark the merchandise shipped so no one else can order it. Last time I checked you could have an 'ordered' status to knock it out of inventory but don't tell me it's been shipped when it hasn't. They never show out of stock as far as I know. They told me I SHOULD have received another email letting me know the one product was out of stock. It seems like a sham to me that you don't let anyone know the product is out of stock until after the order.

I had to go up two more levels in mgt. to get only half of the extra money I paid for 3 day UPS credited back due to the delay.

I ended up placing another order with them because of the cheap price and it arrived faster than I expected with no snags.

They do have good prices but CALL them to check stock before ordering.