The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 19, 2000, 09:59 PM   #1
Rutgers

I may be moving to the Fredricksburg, Virginia area in the next couple months. I was wondering if anybody can tell me about what there is to hunt there. I mostly enjoy waterfowling. I have no problem driving a couple hours to get to some decent hunting. I appreciate any and all information.

Thanks
Old June 20, 2000, 01:31 PM   #2
CapeFear

You'll be close to a waterfowler's paradise. In the past the eastern flyway through Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina was the top duck and goose hunting area in the US. Those days are gone but the hunting is still pretty good.

A couple hours south of you there are huge herds of deer, someplaces on the NC/VA border there can be as many as 50 to 70 per square mile. I didn't say they were big just plentiful!

[This message has been edited by CapeFear (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 20, 2000, 04:32 PM   #3
SandyLee

Hey, Rutgers, welcome to the great state of VA! We typically hunt the GW/Jefferson National Forest. There's lots of primitive camping. You'll probably want to take cold weather gear, although last year's deer hunt had us in shorts and T-shirts!! We've learned through the years and finally have some good tents and a wood stove. The forests are good for deer, turkey, and quail. There's also some good fishing near the hunting grounds. The National Forest lands aren't as large or spacious as you'll find out west. Don't think you'll get the 250-yd shot at a deer, but 150 isn't out of the question. Lots of brush and mountainsides. Fall squirrel season is usually nice, as the leaves are turning at that time, and there's lots of squirrels. Hope to see you out there.

Follow CapeFear for directions to the fowl. I'm not a fan of standing in cold water <no offense>

-Sandy (Herndon)
Old June 20, 2000, 09:14 PM   #4
Rutgers

Thanks for the info. I am really looking forward to doing some duck hunting in the Harve De Grace MD area, and deer huntin dont sound bad either. Tired of dragging 200# whitetails out of the woods here in MI (hehehe). I have been to Herndon before, my buddy that I'm moning down there to live with used to live in a place there called Mcnair farms. Maybe I'll bump into some of you down there.

Rutgers
Old June 20, 2000, 10:11 PM   #5
Matrix

I have a good friend in the Richmond area that does a lot of deer and turkey hunting.
He goose hunts on the James river out of a kayak. His biggest gripe is the Va. restriction on Sunday hunting. I think it's a productive area.