The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 04:17 PM   #26
MLeake

Who has advocated open carry in schools by non-LEO? I have not read any such proposal.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:48 AM   #27
MLeake

Sounds like you are making an assumption on the one hand (that people advocating for the armed volunteer idea don't want some sort of training standard), and a generalization on the other (since you know one or several vets who have issues, then vets must have issues).

Both are logical fallacies.

Why not just say that participants should have to pass a standardized training course, and quit knocking vets?
Old January 21, 2013, 10:44 AM   #28
mehavey

- LEOs
- Veterans
- Civilians

Former LEOs is a no-brainer. They generally have far more firearms training, situation training, and req'd sheepdog attitude than the general civilian population -- Key on situation training/sheepdog.

Veterans have basic if not extended firearms training (at least more than the general population as a group). They also tend to have a sheepdog attitude. What they don't have -- and will desperately need -- is situation training.

The General population is the general population: a black hole until vetted through either the police and/or military strainer. Some may be simply OUTstanding. But how do you do that extended sifting beyond a background check?
Old January 21, 2013, 10:45 AM   #29
Hal

Quote:
Why not just say that participants should have to pass a standardized training course, and quit knocking vets?
Knocking vets?
Not in any way.
All I'm saying is that vets aren't magically qualified - as 318 seems to indicate in his post.

He said and I quote - " I would also like to see military veterans get a crack at this".
I'm not for equating a vet to a retired LEO - simply because someone at one time wore a uniform.
He's the one that made a blanket statement about vets.

Let me ask you - why do you think a vet is more qualified than someone else?
& I don't mean people like your uncle.
IMNSHO - you uncle is qualified, vet or not. Being a vet has little to do with it. It's a plus, but, it's not an overriding consideration.
Be honest here and, as a vet, think about each and every person you know or knew that's a vet.

[Edit to remove part that Glenn may have missed....

Last edited by Hal; January 21, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:01 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

I have deleted several posts describing potentially criminal behavior by an identifiable individual.

First, that person cannot defend themselves on this forum nor is our place to level such claims

Second - if one suspects such serious behaviors - contact the appropriate authorities.