The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2000, 01:56 PM   #1
Cyric13

Can anubody post a picture of what a proper feed ramp on a 1911 looks like. I can't seem to get my 1911 to feed the 1st round of hydrashok to feed. I think m feed ramp to frame fit might be off the ramp and frame aren't flush there is about a 1/16th-2/16th gap, but it feeds FMJ fine.
BTW if I load the 7 rd mag to 6 it feeds fine(I have Wilson mags FWIW) could the springs need to loosen a bit thier new mags.

thanks Cyric

[This message has been edited by Cyric13 (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old October 11, 2000, 02:20 PM   #2
Jim V

You mean that there is a space between the end of the barrel and the feed ramp of the frame whith the barrel is in it's rearward position whe the slid is retracted, right? That space is normal. Try Golden Sabers and see if they feed from a full amgazine. The bullet nose is more closely contoured to that of FMJ. It could be your magazines need to break in a bit too.

------------------
"If there be treachery, let there be jihad."
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited October 12, 2000).]
Old October 12, 2000, 12:50 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Different bullet nose-shapes can give problems, as can different overall lengths. You sometimes have to modify a magazine to allow proper feeding of a particular bullet.

One trick which works fairly well is to get a new--but not high-dollar--magazine, and play with the lips. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers when tweaking. Bend in just a hair, to make the cartridge feed a bit lower into the chamber. Bend out just a hair to make it feed a bit higher, as necessary.

If you can polish the top of the chamber of the barrel, without removing metal, that sometimes reduces friction and lets the bullet slide on in to the chamber...

Most of the time, failure to feed has to do with the magazine lips, and the resulting angle of the cartridge as it leaves the magazine. When all surfaces are polished, and the mag lips are "righteous", I have been able to mix all manner of bullet shapes in a mag and not have any problems with failure to feed...SWC, Hornady flat-points, various hollow-points...

FWIW, Art
Old October 12, 2000, 06:40 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Cyric, it sounds like to me you have too much of a gap there. It should be 1/32". To reduce it file the rear of the barrel feet. You may also have to go with a longer barrel link. If this doesn't cure it you might need to contact Wilson about the mags especially if it's still happening with more than just 1 magazine. It seems there have been quite a few magazine related problems with owners of Wilson mags lately. George
Old October 12, 2000, 09:50 AM   #5
Joe 543

It's been a while since my .45 days. However, back in the old days, the first thing you do when you get your ol' 1911 is to have it "throated and polished". I had, and wished I still had, a Colt Officers and Government model. Both were throated and polished by a reputable gun smith. I carried and shot the ol "flying astray" round for quite a while. Speer 200gn hollow point.

Throating and polishing consists of scalloping the feed ramp then polishing it to a mirror finish.

Those .45s could eat up anything.......
Old October 12, 2000, 09:52 AM   #6
Joe 543

It's been a while since my .45 days. However, back in the old days, the first thing you do when you get your ol' 1911 is to have it "throated and polished". I had, and wished I still had, a Colt Officers and Government model. Both were throated and polished by a reputable gun smith. I carried and shot the ol "flying astray" round for quite a while. Speer 200gn hollow point.

Throating and polishing consists of scalloping the feed ramp then polishing it to a mirror finish.

Those .45s could eat up anything.......
Old October 12, 2000, 01:02 PM   #7
Cyric13

I measured the gap it about 1/32th and not 1/16th. i do notice that on the frame there is a batter mark where the bullet head rams the frame. How far back should the bullet be from the ramp/frame while the mag is in?

thanks cyric
Old October 12, 2000, 11:01 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Cyric, you say the bullet "batters" the frame. The bullet might be feeding a tad nose-down, rubbing on the polished surface just before it rises into the chamber. (?)

Without seeing it all happen: I'd guess that a slight bit of widening of the magazine lips would let the bullet feed at a bit more of an up-angle, going more directly into the chamber. ("Maybe" and "I guess")

Use whatever reliable-feed ammo works, until you can get to a competent gunsmith. A gunsmith who says, "If it doesn't work right, bring it back."

FWIW, Art
Old October 14, 2000, 09:40 PM   #9
johnwill

1911 feeding problems are most often a magazine problem. The 1911 has a rather complicated feed path compared to more modern pistol designs. The OAL of the round can have a big effect on the reliability of a specific pistol/magazine combination.
Old October 16, 2000, 11:34 AM   #10
Cyric13

Just took it to the range yesterday and I had no problems with it feeding anything, but the FMJ that were shorter than my other FMJ and the Hydrashoks. So I'm going to stay away from that type of round.

thanks. Cyric
Old October 16, 2000, 07:37 PM   #11
Jamie Young

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cyric13:
[B]Just took it to the range yesterday and I had no problems with it feeding anything, but the FMJ that were shorter than my other FMJ and the Hydrashoks. So I'm going to stay away from that type of round.

I took my Colt 1991A1 to the range last week and it failed with the Hydra-shoks. I have reloaded 185gr hollow points that were pretty close to the FMJ as far as bullet roundness and I don't have any problems with them. Any time I stray to some different bullet design I have problems.

------------------
"Bring 'Em on.... I prefer a Straight Fight to all this sneaking around"
Han Solo