The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 1, 2001, 10:48 AM   #1
freedomlover

Gentlemen, I've got a small problem and need some advice. I encountered my first squib load with my Traditions .50 cal. muzzleloader and have no idea how to go about clearing the barrel. I've fired several primers, cleaned the nipple thoroughly, etc., but I can't ignite the charge. I took the barrel off the stock but the plug at the breech end is impossible for me to remove. (Maybe just because I don't know what I'm doing.) Can anyone give me some advice on the removal of the breech plug? It's oddly shaped and very difficult to grasp with pliers, crescent wrench, visegrips, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated--
Thank you,
freedomlover

Old June 1, 2001, 10:50 AM   #2
freedomlover

P.S.--I forgot to mention that I don't have an owmer's manual, I bought the rifle used without a manual. I bet if I had a manual I wouldn't be asking this question here!

Old June 1, 2001, 12:44 PM   #3
Doug444

Forget about removing the breech plug - not a good idea unless you are a gunsmith. time to get out the bullet puller and a stout "working" rod. If these items do not sound familiar to you, you probably don't have them, so head to your BP shooting supplier and get them - they're not that expensive. And get some advice from the staff there on their use, though there should be instructions with the bullet puller. It's not that tricky a job, but it will be a bit of hard work, and you'll need a friend to help hold the rifle. Good Luck!

Doug444
Old June 1, 2001, 01:13 PM   #4
handgunhunting

freedomlover
You have 3 options
1) buy if you don't already have one a bullet puller (it is a thing you screw on the end of the ram rod and has a sharp drywall type of screw on the other) This will not work well if you are using anything other then pure lead bullets.
2) go out and buy an EZ unloader this uses a co2 cartridge to "blow" the bullet and ball out they run about $30.00 and nice to have.
3) this is a little more dangerous but if done right will work. unscrew the nipple, dry the flash whole well with a cleaning patch, place about a nice pinch of dry powder down the flash whole, screw the nipple back on (make sure there isn't any powder on the treads) cap it and fire it. this should give a very hot spark and enough persure to set off the bad charge.