The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 6, 2014, 09:41 AM   #1
SmokinMike

Springfield M1903 won't fire

I have a Springfield 1903 ser# 1367783 hunting rifle manufactured in 1930. I have hunted with this rifle since 1990, fired it many times. However have not used it in last 5 years. Went to sight it in and it won't fire. The firing pin is not striking the primer. I pulled the bolt out and can see the pin, when I pull the hammer back the pin retracts. There seems to be plenty of power from the spring when pulling the hammer back. Any idea how to fix this. I looked at how to take the firing pin out, but can't see how to do that.
Old October 6, 2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Hummer70

1. make sure rifle is empty.
2 close bolt on empty chamber
3. Rotate safety to the 12:00 o'clock position.
4.Open bolt and pull it all the way till it stops.
5. Look on left side of bolt (9:00 o'clock as viewed from the rear) and you will see a small button. Push in towards 3:00 o'clock and when depressed unscrew it. Should take about three complete turns for it to screw out.

The assembly should come out as one unit. Examine the striker nose to make sure it is hemispherical at the tip.

Do not be smoking or near flames at this point. Wash unit thorougly in safety solvent (preferred) but many use gas etc. Use a old toothbrush and scrub the entire assembly especially in the spring area. Also submerge the bolt body and let it soak.

If you have a pistol cleaning rod run a 45 cal bore brush into bolt followed by a 38 cal as it goes deeper and finally a 22 cal brush rotating brush to break loose any crud built up on striker channel.

Run copper wire in and out of striker opening on bolt face at varying angles.

You are looking for a small piece of round metal about .050" in diameter. This will in all probability be the middle of a striker indent on the primer that has reverse flowed and primer cup has broken off and gone into the striker channel and stuck in the grease there.

Blow dry everything and apply a few drops of Ed's Red or Mobil 1 0W20 synthetic motor oil or LAW (Lubricant Arctic Weapons) on the spring assembly and the cocking cam on the bolt body and the mating part on the striker assembly and the threads.

Reassemble the bolt screw it in until it won't go any further. Note the plunger may engage the head of the stiker assembly and you think you are there but you are one complete turn out.

Put back in rifle and go to range and see how it does and let us know.
Cert Test Dir. Sm Arms and Ammo,Aberdeen Pr Ground, Firefighter I, AC4HT
Old October 7, 2014, 09:39 PM   #3
10-96

Also take a close peek at the pin end of the stiker to ensure it isn't broken off. And check to see that it's squarely seated.

The striker is moving if you're finding yourself pulling the knob back after you pull the trigger- it's a matter of finding out why it doesn't go far enough to punch the primer.

I'm curious to know the outcome of this. What all have you used in the past to clean and lube the bolt and rifle?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 9, 2014, 06:28 PM   #4
SmokinMike

Thanks guys, I will try this. In the past I've always used a solvent and gun oil. Will get back to this post after I try this.
Old October 29, 2014, 10:48 AM   #5
SmokinMike

UPDATE

Ok, thank you Hummer70 and 10-96. You were spot on. I did not find any metal peaces, however I did pull the bolt apart as you direct and cleaned it throughly. It did fire and was on target. I guess it was probably just gunked up. I've always kept my guns clean and lubed, but the bolt I would just spray it with oil. Now that I know how to take it apart, it will be cleaned after every outing.
But now I'm curious, after researching this model online, it was manufactured in 1930. This model springfield 1903 was primarily built for military use. The photos I've seen online all show military style rifles, mine is a sportsman style. Would it have been modified or was it manufactured as a sport rifle?
Old October 29, 2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Jim Watson

There is such a thing as a Springfield Sporter, but they are scarce to rare.

99.999% of the sporting rifles seen on Springfield actions are based on cut up military rifles.

The difference would be obvious to anybody who had seen a few.
Got a picture?
Old October 29, 2014, 05:25 PM   #7
10-96

Now that would be a curiosity! If you ran the SN through a search engine such as this: http://oldguns.net/sn_php/milmods.htm I might assume (possibly wrongly) that the SN of your rifle was one of a block of SN ranges that were issued to the manufacturers for martial use only. I have a suspicion that a non-military Springfield's SN would not fit into such a SN series.

Old October 29, 2014, 07:47 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Springfield M1903 rifles sold to members of the NRA through the DCM and rifles sold to other government agencies (e.g., the Coast Guard) were from military stores and serial numbered in the military series. Other rifles, like the International Match and heavy barrel target rifles, used receivers taken from regular production. Since receivers were numbered at the time they were made, subsequent diversion for special purposes would not affect the serial numbers.

The exceptions were the .22 rifles, like the Model 1922, M1 and M2, which were numbered in their own series.

Jim

Last edited by James K; October 29, 2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old October 29, 2014, 10:30 PM   #9
10-96

I love these posts with historical inclinations. Thanks James!

Old November 29, 2014, 09:15 PM   #10
smee78

Thats good info to know about the bolt thanks for sharing. I have my eye on a 1903 that someone already worked over, I like it and am about to pull the trigger.