The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 7, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Doublea A

What Is The Plan B or C In This Situation?

Hello fellow enthusiast!
Something happen three days ago which I was not prepared for and it got me thinking.

So every morning before I leave the house I lock up all the firearms in the Safe because I cannot carry at the place that I’m going. So on Monday I went to open the safe and nothing happened, it seems like the battery has run-out. The keys are far away from the safe as I do not want to keep them close to the safe because should a criminal finds it, he will call me stupid and thank me as well. Long story short, I went and retrieved the key and opened the safe. I removed the battery and reinsert them again and it worked perfectly. My concern is that had I needed the firearm to depend myself and my family I would have been in big trouble. Not to mention that when I'm home, I keep a firearm at arms length always.

My questions are:
Are they any events that I haven’t prepared for which will help in this specific situation?
Is it wise to find a secured place close to the safe and hide a key?
Should I keep at least one firearm out of the safe?
Thanks

Last edited by Doublea A; March 7, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
MLeake

You could do any number of things.

For instance, keep a key to the safe on your person. I realize safe keys are kind of long and awkward, but you bought a battery lock type safe. (I used to have one, too, and kept the keys well away from the safe, so I'm sympathetic... but I would keep one handgun on me the vast majority of the time.)

You could get a smaller safe with combo or key lock for the bedroom, where you could keep one handgun.

You could replace the current safe with a combo lock type safe. Batteries become non-factors that way.

I'm sure others will have other suggestions.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:39 PM   #3
pjp74

I also have one of the electronic locking safes, it is so much quicker to get into versus the combination dial type. I replace my battery every 4 months whether it needs it or not. Luckily, doing service work I can always have a gun on me, so there is always at least one firearm out of the safe. And yes you do have to keep the backup keys hidden far away.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:46 PM   #4
JimPage

decide how long a battery lasts, and replace it periodically at a shorter interval.

I do the same for my vehicles. Sure, sometimes I replace a battery when the battery store says I don't need one, but I only lose a few months of useful life, and if it does go bad it will be a super cold morning!

It works.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old March 7, 2012, 11:06 PM   #5
farmerboy

So you cant carry at the place of employment so you lock every gun up at home? Hmmmm, They wont let you carry one in your car coming or going? They would have to search me each and every time in the parking lot then because if I couldnt at work Id dang sure be armed going to and from and as far as being at home, I dont like to think each and every gun is in one location in case something happened and you couldnt retrieve one fast enough or you couldnt get to that location. maybe have two or three here and there
Old March 7, 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
orionengnr

Bingo.
Most of us change our smoke detectors when we move our clocks forward or back...why not change the safe batteries at the same time (unless they just don't last that long, in which case a different schedule is indicated).

I don't own a battery powered safe, and always have a handgun on my person or very close by (when legal).
Old March 7, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
Onward Allusion

Carry on your person when you're home. When you go to work, take it with you and transport it in a legal manner if you don't have a CCW/LCHP. Keep it locked in your car when you're at work and reverse the process when you get home.

As for your battery giving out on you, change them often and spend the extra money on Lithium batteries.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:54 AM   #8
FAS1

As some others suggested changing your batteries more often should help since you already have the electronic lock. It sounds like the gun you use for HD gets locked in there on a daily basis and probably left on your nighstand or something similar every night. I would just add a good quick access handgun safe and bolt it to something solid. You already have seen what happens when the electronics don't work as planned, so get one that uses a mechanical push button lock. Here's mine http://www.fas1safe.com

FAS1 SAFE Video

Old March 8, 2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Ronbert

I vote for periodic battery change.

But I don't have an electronic lock myself for exactly that reason.

(I can't carry at work nor can I leave one in the car in the parking lot.)
Old March 8, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10
MoBart

Id throw a vote to replaceing the lock or, safe alltogether, with a non battery powered one. Your defensive weapon(s) should be either on you or at hand, a safe is a nessesity but isnt really compatable with effecint defensive plans unless its in a saferoom or hard point in the home. Id use a key lock type and keep all your non-daily se keys together in a good location apart from the safe. Maybe a spare hidden close, maybe.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Frank Ettin
Staff

One of the reasons I'll only have safes with mechanical locks. Even our lock-boxes, with guns available for immediate use, have mechanical button locks. They're as quick as the electronic type but without a battery to worry about.
Old March 8, 2012, 05:29 PM   #12
aparootsa

Clearly there is a place in the market for a wind-up safe. Just like there are wind-up flashlights and radios to be had. Might take you 10 seconds or so of frantic turning of the handle, but you only need a tiny bit of power to open the safe, so it'd be fairly quick and would save you the time and trouble of remembering where your key is and fetching it. So... all you safe manufacturers... make a windup.

In more-likely-to-be-bought options, combos are your friend.
Old March 8, 2012, 05:52 PM   #13
jrw69

[URL="http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Gun-Safes|/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104369580/GunVault-Digital-Speed-Vault/1314475.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-gun-storage-gun-safes%2F_%2FN-1100213%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104369580%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%253Bcat104730480&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104730480%3Bcat104369580"]

You need one of these, and for some reason it won't let me post the link correctly so you may have to copy/paste, sorry!
Old March 8, 2012, 08:00 PM   #14
Doublea A

To respond to some of the inputs.

Getting rid of the safe is not an option because I bought it three months ago and spent a lot of $$$.

I do have weapons permit so carrying outside the house is not a problem except that I cannot carry at certain places which are prohibited by the State.

I just bought a new car this year and the only way I will be willing to leave one in the car is if I can find a safe that will be invisible to wandering eyes and will also provide a high level of resistance. I think I have an idea, I will try it and let you guys know.

Changing the batteries is a good idea even though it was put in three months ago. On the door of the safe you can see the battery power level when you press any key. The battery power is more than adequate according to the safe. I will go ahead and change it anyway.
My choices are:

1. Buying two or three smaller safes that has mechanical buttons that I can access quickly should the need be.

2. I could find a great hidden spot next to the safe and hide the key
Old March 8, 2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublea A
...I could find a great hidden spot next to the safe and hide the key...
Come to think of it, you could wear the key on a neck chain.
Old March 8, 2012, 10:49 PM   #16
Patriot86

I would find a good place to hide a key very close to the safe. I keep the keys to my lock box very close but in a spot that would take quite a bit of effort to find.
Old March 9, 2012, 12:12 AM   #17
MLeake

The key on a neck chain makes much more sense to me.
Old March 9, 2012, 02:20 PM   #18
m&p45acp10+1

Put the key on the same keychain you put your car keys on. Put your car keys on the nightstand next to you when you go to sleep. When you leave the house the key goes with you. If it is a big deal then get a quick detatchable key chain for the safe key. When you go to bed put the key in the lock. Then if need be you have the key ready to use.
Old March 9, 2012, 03:43 PM   #19
farmerboy

hope a situation never arises where you cannot get the safe open quick enough. Sometimes 5 seconds would be like an eternity.
Old March 9, 2012, 05:18 PM   #20
FAS1

Quote:
1. Buying two or three smaller safes that has mechanical buttons that I can access quickly should the need be.
Put the key to your big safe in here with your HD gun if you buy one that is decently made and bolt it to something solid.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:12 PM   #21
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublea A
What Is The Plan B or C In This Situation?
Plan B is always: Take a Nap.

You're on your own for Plan C.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 9, 2012, 09:51 PM   #22
doofus47

Jim page
Quote:
decide how long a battery lasts, and replace it periodically at a shorter interval.
Yep, periodic maintenance; that's the answer.
Old March 10, 2012, 10:29 PM   #23
TenRing

Put the safe battery on your daylight savings list and change it along with smoke detector and laser sight batteries. Also consider replacing your safe with one that uses a dial combination, no keys and no batteries.
Old March 11, 2012, 09:32 PM   #24
dds115

I pulled up a bit of carpet near the safe and put a key under there, then tucked the carpet back into the molding. You'd never know it was there.
Old March 12, 2012, 11:10 AM   #25
seeker_two

Gunvault Nano 300 w/ combination lock....one for the house & one for your car....