The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2015, 03:40 PM   #1
evtSmtx

Does anyone have experience using Dillon RF 100 primer tube loader?

how reliable is it?
how frequent is required maintenance and what needs to be done
how many primer tubes have you loaded with it?
how much time required to change small <-> large primer?
Old September 2, 2015, 05:32 PM   #2
ropegun2k

I bought one to use with my 1050. It stinks breaking up your rhythm to go load primers. Sorry in advance for the long post.

Anyways, I love it when it works. No maintenance to my knowledge, no real moving parts. I have never switched it to large, but have taken it apart a couple times. If I had to guess it wouldnt take more than 5 minutes to switch it over. Loads primers very consistently when it works right.

Only had a couple problems with it.
1-it has somehow rolled a primer along on its side getting stuck and blocking the port a few times. Granted, it happened when it wasnt level or when someone else was playing with it. So I cant quite point the finger at the filler.

2-when I first bought it I ran a 100 primers through it repeatedly looking to see if any were going in upside down. Probably did this 15+ times before I gave it the stamp of approval. I left the primers in the tube overnight thinking nothing about it. My dad came over the next day and wanted to play around with it when I wasnt looking. He had probably 400 primers in the thing, it was overflowing and a big mess. One of the original primers left overnight managed to somehow adhere itself to the side of the tube to complicate things further. When I say adhered, I mean REALLY stuck. I could see light 80% around it, it was only adhered in one spot. Not wanting to jam something sharp to dislodge a live primer I tried banging the tube, turns out it was thin wall aluminum. Long story short I bent up the tube getting the primer out like a coat hanger (looked like the primer had super glue on it, still unexplained to this day), and my dad ran a bunch of rounds without primers in my 1050 (while I was trying to troubleshoot the filler) leaving a huge mess of powder. A primer managed to get loaded into my 1050 sideways during all of this.

Granted the adhered primer was an isolated experience that I simply cannot begin to explain. I partially blame my dad, left me with a broken 1050 and filler. Other than that, it has worked out pretty well. I do not regret buying it.
Old September 2, 2015, 05:34 PM   #3
ropegun2k

Oh yeah, I havent filled a ton of primers with it yet. Probably 10k+.

Just remember to ONLY load a maximum of 100 at a time.
Old September 2, 2015, 06:59 PM   #4
MarkCO

Had mine for about 12 years. I load between 30-50K annually on the 650 and it is the only method I use to load primers in the 650. Takes me about 2 minutes to convert from S to L (or back). I had maybe 1 in 150 upside down primers before I added the rheostat and maybe 1 in 2K now.

I have a pack of small and large primer pick up tubes that have never been used.
Old September 3, 2015, 03:34 PM   #5
evtSmtx

thanks y'all!