The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2014, 10:37 AM   #1
nathanl

questions about wilson combat 1911 parts

I have a RIA gi 1911 and iv been looking onto putting a extended beavertail grip safety in wilson combat has a drop in Beavertail safety that is designed to drop in to a gi frame without having to cut the tangs off the frame and I know I would need to switch to a commander style hammer I was just going to buy one and take it to a gunsmith to have the hammer installed and fitting done to the safety if necessary since w.c. says is a drop in safty but I know thats not always the case. Looking more on their website I saw they have what they call there value line hammer and sear. I have seen things online that say they are drop in parts and you can install them and no gunsmithing is required but is that true? I just can't really see something like a hammer and sear being just drop ins and being completely safe and reliable. Has anyone just put thsee in and they work fine? And if so what about the disconnecter and thumb safety? Will they still work with 100% safety and reliability? Thanks for any and all info.
Old December 2, 2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Scorch

Yes, the drop-in grip safety will work fine. Yes, you will have to replace the hammer with a Commander style (burr) hammer or bob the spur hammer. And yes, if you replace the hammer and sear, you may need to replace the thumb safety (since it works by blocking the sear).
Old December 2, 2014, 03:04 PM   #3
g.willikers

The so called drop in parts, from a respected source, are made to fit a gun that is built to the correct specs.
If your gun is, then the parts more than likely will work without having to fit them.
So, it depends on how accurate to the 1911 specs your gun is.
Generally, if the parts don't fit, blame the gun more than the part and get to whittling.
Old December 2, 2014, 04:36 PM   #4
cookie5

There is a great chance the drop in part will drop in but need fitting to work.
Old December 2, 2014, 06:00 PM   #5
RickB

The Wilson drop-in grip safeties are designed to drop into frames with Colt contours, so they don't fit as well on anything else.
Almost all "1911s" on the market have frame tangs shorter than those on a Colt, so if you buy Wilson's drop-in Government Model grip safety, there will be large gaps between the frame and safety.
The Commander grip safety is intended for Colts with the short frame tangs (Commanders, and most models made between 1992-1999), which won't drop into a RIA, sort of defeating the purpose.
I've used the Wilson drop-in on a Colt, and am very satisfied with it, but pictures of that part installed on a Springfield, RIA, Auto Ordnance, etc., would make me consider other options.
I've never thought the advantages of the beavertail justify the expense of replacing not only that part but also the hammer, and any mods to the latter might not be compatible with the sear and thumb safety. On a G.I. style gun that isn't already cut for a beavertail, I've taken to cutting-down the factory grip safety to the old, M1911 contours - which removes a lot of the sharp edges - along with removing a couple of serrations from the hammer spur; addition via subtraction.