The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 2013, 12:29 AM   #1
bamaranger

Win Supreme turkey load v. Win Double XX

I was lurking about the ammo shelves in a big chain store the other day, looking for bargains in turkey loads after the season (we're done here) and saw a Win, high velocity 3" 12ga 1-3/4 oz turkey load labeld double xx , black hull and relativlely generic black box. There was no "Supreme" hi-vel turkey loads to be seen. I have seen the fancy boxed Supremes elsewhere.

Checking Wins website, the "Supreme" load does not show in any of their categories.

Has the Double XX replaced the Supreme? Has anybody checked the preformance, one v. the other? The hi vel Supreme turkey load has been my favorite for the past 10 yrs or so. I've got a stash, should I get more?
Old May 10, 2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Virginian

The Double X nomenclature loads go back 30 years. Some of the absolute best patterning factory loads ever made. I still have a box or two of 1-7/8 ounce #4s. And they still make them.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104567580

I think the marketing guys like to play around with names and colors more than is necessary. Ever since new and improved "Tide" 60 years or so ago the constant "Advertised" change has been upon us.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Recoiljunky

companies sometimes change powder charges, primers and wads from year to year but lable it as the same so its always good to pattern it to see if there were any changes made in the lot.
Old May 12, 2013, 12:32 AM   #4
bamaranger

xx

Patterning is good advice and I will do same if and when I run out of the fancy boxed, "Supreme High Velocity 1-3/4 oz" loads.

The first "special" turkey loads I ever hunted with were the 1-7/8 oz double XX as mentioned from the 1980's. I've had several other favorites over the years, but the Win 1-3/4 hi vel has been doing it for me for some time now.