The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 6, 2012, 09:45 AM   #1
Stressfire

Gun-toting librarian needs a book recommendation

We will be reviewing our standing order plan for the coming year and I have a question for you all as to gun value guides.

We have been getting the yearly Standard Catalog of Firearms as well as the yearly Gun Digest guide.

Are there better/more accurate guides out there for less or equal money? Blue Book, for example?

Both of the above are usually my companions for show-going, but the values given in the books seem to depart a great deal from what is actually being charged. Yes, show prices tend to be inflated, but the same seems to be the case for brick and mortar and even online stores.
Old December 8, 2012, 08:01 PM   #2
DaleA

Hmmm.... I've never considered my library a 'go to' place for this info.

Next time I'm there I'm going to check out what they have.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The Blue Book has become the industry standard reference, so I'd go with that.
Most of the time, that's the book a dealer or collector will pull out to check prices.
It also tends to be a little more exact then the other books "Good, Very good, Excellent" ratings. Since the Blue Book goes by condition of original finish, it gives a closer valuation.

The reasons for the difference in prices in the books and at the gun show is the books have at least one year publisher's lead time, and I suspect the book editors only go to the big gun shows, where prices may tend to be a little lower.

In all cases, it's hard to keep up with a rapidly changing market, especially when dealing with skyrocketing gun prices on items like Colt revolvers, and US military issue guns.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Stressfire

Quote:
Hmmm.... I've never considered my library a 'go to' place for this info.

Next time I'm there I'm going to check out what they have.
Actually, once those "in the know" among the general public figured out I was into guns, the questions just keep on coming - from info on a deceased relative's collection to an old rusty barrel someone found in a crawl space.

We're in a rural area, so it makes sense to have the info available - although I think I'm the only librarian in the county who's got a collection going, if only a budding one.