The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 9, 2009, 12:07 PM   #126
Golfin Gator

Thanks chuck, that makes more sense. I think the bottom line is to quell the panic. I don't thing the zombies are coming....................yet.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:24 PM   #127
ViperJon

I just picked up two boxes of WWB .45ACP at Walmart here on Long Island.
They were the "value pak" of 100, priced at $29.97 each.
Had about 10 boxes in stock with a two box limit.
Old May 10, 2009, 04:35 PM   #128
govmule84

I camped out at a Wal-Mart that's close to another (New Milford, CT - near the Danbury, CT Wally.)

The NM store had a small crapload of 9mm coming in on their truck. I waited it out until that truck got there, and then I bought two boxes for me, two boxes for a buddy, and some Winchester SuperX .22 ammo I have been needing. That set me up for 6 boxes, which is their cap.

The truck hadn't gotten to Danbury yet, so I went today. They supposedly had .45, 9mm, .40, and .38, but no .22. By the time I got there, the 9mm and .45 were gone, and I bought the last box of .38 WWB. I also bought the last two boxes of .223 for trade (I don't own a .223, but know lots of people who will appreciate whatever they can get.) There must have been 3 cases of .40 left, though.

Supposedly they have another truck coming tonight with the .22 on it. Neither store had the bulky packs, but the hundred rounds of SuperX I bought was 5.97 - it's high, but I am pretty sure it's a little better ammo, and six bones still isn't bad. .22 is all I can seem to afford shooting these days.

I simply never thought the day would come when I would have to search for .22. Welcome to Russia, kids. Even my super-anti gun girlfriend is weirded out by the shortage.

ALSO...

There is apparently some way they can scan the UPC of the item you want with their little stocking gun scanner and tell you whether or not it will be on the next truck in, if that little tidbit helps any of you. Apparently, the trucks come in at varying times, but if you ask nicely, some folks will unload ammo off the truck and bring it up to you special, rather than you just waiting for it to hit a shelf.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:51 PM   #129
SigfanTN

I had to go to a two-day series of meetings earlier this week about 3 hours away. When we let out, I stopped by their local Walmart and was able to pick up a 100ct box of Federal .223 and a brick of .22 (I was really looking for .45 ACP and 9mm).

I hit 3 more stores on the drive back home and lucked out at th 2nd to last. I was able to get 4 boxes of WWB 100ct value pack in .45 and 2 of the same type in 9mm. They had more left, but limit of 6 boxes.

I stopped by two more today near my mother's and one town over. Both were out, but the lady behind the counter told me they are limiting to TWO boxes. I told her that was odd, and the rest of the stores I'd been to had printed signs posted saying a 6 box limit. Whatever, they didn't have any ...

I'll say this: The 6 box limit must be true since 6 out of 7 different stores I've been to had the sign posted. The only variance was a stricter limit imposed by a store visited today.

Also, almost all of the stores I visited had at least 1 box of .357SIG WWB on the shelf, so if that's your caliber you ought to be in good shape at Wally World.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:55 PM   #130
THEZACHARIAS

Only thing ive seen in a month is the .357sig and .44magnum. A couple boxes of .357magnum here and there and lots (LOTS) of .22, federal and CCI.

Thinking about picking up a shotgun; the closest wallys has aisles full of 12 gauge.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:06 PM   #131
GojuBrian

Yep, funny thing, plenty of shotgun ammo to go around.

WM here today had one box 0 9mm, no .22's except shorts,, two boxes of .357sigs, and tow boxes of .44magnums. The rest were rifle rds.
Old May 10, 2009, 07:20 PM   #132
inSight-NEO

Personally, when it comes to weapons, I only venture into Wal-Mart for one reason....ammo. At this point, I already know what Im needing and if they have it, I buy it (and yes, sometimes it takes a while to acquire "help," but I have experienced this just about everywhere). Even if it takes me 30 minutes to acquire what I came for, I most certainly will leave happy.

When I enter Wal-Mart, Im not looking for advice (about weaponry) nor am I expecting the guy helping me out to know anything about weapons just because he happens to be the one working the hunting/fishing department at that particular time.

If Im truly seeking knowledge or experienced opinion, I will either come to sites such as this or I will seek help at various local gunsmith departments. Of course, even going this route, I sometimes wonder if some of these individuals are possibly more "narrow" in their abilities and scope than they certainly should be, considering their title of "gunsmith."
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; May 10, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old May 10, 2009, 09:47 PM   #133
pmeisel

Quote:
When I enter Wal-Mart, Im not looking for advice
Really? that's where I get most of my fashion advice.....
Old May 10, 2009, 10:12 PM   #134
Beentown71

Another Rumor??? Or Is It For Real???

I heard from my local Wally World sporting goods manager that they (Walmart) are not going to carry any firearms or ammo after there license runs out. Just not worth the effort and aggrevation is the reason he gave me. According to him, they get hasseled (fined and extra labor) constantly by big brother on everything dealing with firearms.

I went to their website to look up info on the "dealer special" 10/22 they have had for years and they have no firearms listed on the site anymore. The only thing on it was accesories (safes, optics, cases, etc...).

Anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks in advance,

Beentown
Old May 11, 2009, 08:15 AM   #135
erwos

I could believe Wal-Mart is getting out of gun sales. But you don't need a license to sell ammo and accessories, AFAIK. Indeed, the local Kmart here stocks plenty of ammo, but no guns.
Old May 11, 2009, 09:19 AM   #136
RockyTop

Quote:
I heard from my local Wally World sporting goods manager that they (Walmart) are not going to carry any firearms or ammo after there license runs out. Just not worth the effort and aggrevation is the reason he gave me. According to him, they get hasseled (fined and extra labor) constantly by big brother on everything dealing with firearms.

I went to their website to look up info on the "dealer special" 10/22 they have had for years and they have no firearms listed on the site anymore. The only thing on it was accesories (safes, optics, cases, etc...).

Anyone have any more info on this?

Thanks in advance,

Beentown
I wonder if that is just that Walmart or if it's across the board? There's already some Walmart stores that don't carry firearms/ammo and I know the website doesn't have any listed now. But even Dick's doesn't list any on their website even though they have it in the stores.

It's possible Walmart's nationwide will stop selling firearms, but I'd be surprised especially with the stores here in VA, NC, TN, etc.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:50 AM   #137
BlindMansBluff

I just got off the phone with my local WM. I spoke to an assistant manager and the info I got was:

1. they use to have 3 scheduled shipments a week but that was six months ago
2. shipments of ammunition are no longer scheduled and come in randomly
3. its been a while since this store has seen larger caliber HG RDS
4. the currently stocked HG RDS is .25 Auto.
5 When I asked "Who in the hell shoots .25"? he answered "Women"!

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 11, 2009, 12:21 PM   #138
full.tang.halo

First time poster so get that out of the way...I'm in the west central florida area so anything I say is just my little neck of the woods.

I've talked to 5 different sporting goods department managers, the managers seem to be on the same line of 2 box max per cal 6 boxes per day max. Not to say they the lower employees are following the guidelines. And that if you went in early in the morning and bought and then again after a shift change you wouldn't be able to get another 2 boxes, if they still had any in stock.

Edit:
As for what they are actually receiving in on a regular basis from most common to least
357 sig - every walmart I've been to in the last month has had at least a box many times multiple
40 s&w - most of the time it's blazer brass but 2 near me got a big shipment of WWB today
9mm - I'm finding this about 1/4th as often as the 40 s&w and mostly with less boxes shipped
223 - Some have little to none, others have a large qty of federal 100 ct boxes
38 SP - You've got a better chance of the face of Jesus showing up on a spent round than finding it.

Last edited by full.tang.halo; May 11, 2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added info
Old May 11, 2009, 12:32 PM   #139
Wes S.

I've checked several Wal-Marts here in Missouri, both near my home in the Kansas City area and my parents' home downstate. All of them now have a two-box-per-caliber and six boxes' total limit on ammunition purchases. When they have any...which is increasingly rare. The only ammo my local Wally World has in stock is trap loads and light birdshot rounds for shotgunners; even hunting rifle ammo is getting scarce.

I'm told - by managers at three different Wal-Marts - that whatever they put out on the shelves lasts maybe fifteen minutes to half an hour before it's sold out...and that they have lines of customers waiting at the sporting goods counter at 7 AM prompt every morning asking for ammo.

Bass Pro and Cabelas' are almost as bad.
Old May 11, 2009, 01:53 PM   #140
Maligator

The Wallmart out here by me has a 100 round limit of each caliber. Doesn't matter the brand name or type of ammo, aside from the value pack .22lr which has a limit of 1 box. I still have a hard time finding any 9mm, .40, .38spl ammo.

I spoke with the dept manager and she informed me that they had been instructed not to order any as they wouldn't likely get any ammo even if they did. She then proceeded to tell me that she ordered ammo anyways and gets some here and there which is better than none at all. I told her that I agreed and thanked her for her time and that I appreciated her continued efforts at keeping the shelves from becoming barren.

At present there are about 20 or so 100 count boxes of CCI Minimags, a couple boxes of 30-06 and 4 boxes of 32 auto. There are however numerous bulk boxes of shotgun shells.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:03 PM   #141
CopelandXD

x2 on the bulk target load shotgun shells being available. Holy cow. One of the aisles at my closest Wal-Mart is half filled with shotgun ammo. $4.67 for a box of shells. I'm making it a habit of buying a box or two everytime I go in there which is around twice a week.

I just picked up some buckshot ($5.47 a box) and slugs ($3.67 a box) today since it's getting a little harder to find those now. The gun shop I frequent has HG ammo in stock, but they are having trouble keeping buckshot in and when they do have it, it's $9 for a box of 5. I'll pay $.05 a round more for 9mm, but I refuse to pay an extra $1 per round for buckshot.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:56 PM   #142
fender1974

Here in Northern Virginia I stopped by a Wal-Mart on my way home from work last Friday and must have arrived at the right time. They had 50+ boxes of Blazer Brass 9mm and 11 boxes of 9mm WWB 100 count. They limit to 3 boxes of ammo per customer on all calibers. Luckily I was with my wife and we were each able to pick up 3 boxes. Part of me felt guilty for it, but with the price of ammo the way it currently stand, I was excited to go home with 150 round of Blazer Brass ($8.97 a box) and 300 rounds of WWB ($19.97 a box). We both use the ammo for practice and can easily go through that during a weekend.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:00 PM   #143
m&p45acp10+1

I have a good friend that works for Wally world's distributin center that has given me some insight into what has been going on wiht ammo. Notice was sent to all stores in the area that this one delivers to. The message was that due to rapid increase in demand, and lack of available stock to fill all demand that the stores would not be placing orders on pistol and high demand rifle calibers. The dist. center would send and equal amout to all stores, as soon as it could be loaded.
He says that when ammo comes into the distribution center the pallets are taken down, it is counted then divided up to be shipped and loaded onto the tucks leaving out to make deliveries. He says this is the first time in his 12 years of working there that he has seen an item not even leave the recieving dock to go to slots in the ware house. It literaly is going from one truck to another without ever being in the warehouse longer than it takes to break down pallet wrap, and divde, then load onto the outgoing trucks. Longest any has sat in the warehouse since Jan. has been 12 hours while waithing for a truck delivering to outlying stores.
Old May 12, 2009, 07:49 AM   #144
Tophe

Perfect Timing

The fiance and I stopped into the local Wally World yesterday evening, and I went back to the gun section just to get a few cleaning supplies and the guy was stocking the ammo that had just came in that day.

He had 8 boxes of 9mm Blazer, so I bought 4. He also had quite a bit of .40 in but I didnt need any of that. No .380 though otherwise I pry woulda bought it and sold it to someone who needed it.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:14 AM   #145
tomgun

45&9mm

did my bi monthly shopping at walmart yesterday.
for 6 months the ammo has been out,but this time there was 8 bx of 9mm ww and yet to be shelved 1 45 case.
9mm...18.97 100 rds
45.....25.45 100rds
hatfield pa
Old May 15, 2009, 11:28 AM   #146
novalty

Finally managed to snag 6 boxes of WWB 9mm from Wally World this morning. Called one of my local stores about 30 minutes away. They told me they had 7 boxes of 9mm in. When I arrived they had 9 boxes of 9mm 2 boxes of 40S&W, 1 box of 357Sig, and nothing for 45. Since I am completely out of practice ammo, I picked up the 6 box limit of 9mm at $20.97 a box. Shouldn't have to buy any more this summer.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:51 PM   #147
Piper Cub

Added to my Hord of CCI mini Mag 22LR today again.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:33 PM   #148
jdncsu

the local wm here in SE NC had some in for the first time in what seems like months. Had a little WWB 40 and 357 sig. I bought 1 45 acp value pack (@$31.97).
Old May 15, 2009, 08:53 PM   #149
Jeepsnguns

I have 2 wally worlds within close proximity and I USED to shop for ammo at either of them.
Now due to the lack of availability at those stores I search and shop online.
As far as advice goes, never at a Walmart and never at a gun shop.
In my experience here in Fla and when I lived in North Carolina, is similar;
Just because someone works in a gun shop doesn't necessarily mean they are all knowing about guns or ammo.
I hear all kinds of mis-information at my local shops.
Like others have posted in this thread, the best place for information is right here on the net, on forums just like this one.
When I was a kid the way to have a knowledge data base was owning a complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica which my mom couldn't afford to buy for me, so I was S.O.L.
Now we all have the "net".
Good times my brothers, good times.
Regards,
Jon
Old May 15, 2009, 09:17 PM   #150
jdncsu

very true... but are you finding any FMJ online? walmart is still the place to get it if you can find it. i mean.. i dont need to ask joe blow about blazer brass or wwb. i know its gonna work.