The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2000, 07:40 PM   #1
Seronac

I'm just getting started in reloading (I don't even have my press yet!), so I'm asking some questions:

How much damage does a cartridge brass have to have before it is not fit for reloading?

These .223 Rem. cases have little dents on the neck. Do the dents need to be removed? If so, how? Or, are they minor enough to be left alone? Or, Should I just throw them away?

<A HREF="http://www.enol.com/~rsmith/eb/dmgdlg.jpg" TARGET=_blank> You can click here or on the image to see a larger view.</A>

Thanks.
Old July 8, 2000, 08:28 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

All except the case on the right are fine. The one on the right looks as if the mouth has been belled (as a pistol round is belled to accomodate bullet seating). If it goes in the size die ok it should be fine too. The minor dents on the shoulder will iron out upon firing, and are minor enough to be safe.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 8, 2000, 09:42 PM   #3
Bud Helms

Agree, as long as those dents don't have holes down in those craters. They look like a center punch got'em. The round on the left needs to be resized, 'definitely got a belled mouth.

Lyman makes an "M" die that is for the expressed purpose of slightly expanding the mouth of a rifle case to accomodate loading lead bullets. If you are attempting to bell the mouth of the cases for some reason, you may want to see about one of those.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited July 08, 2000).]
Old July 9, 2000, 11:13 AM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I forgot to add the cases look like they have been fired in a semi-auto and were dented on ejection. My 1911 does a job on brass and so does my Garand but it is very very seldom that the brass is ruined.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 9, 2000, 09:32 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

One on the right looks a bit funky - otherwise, I get the same type "extraction marks" (from hitting the deflector) out of my HBAR. The dents will fire-form right out (& get made again ) upon firing.

These were fired in a semi-auto?

Nothing to worry about.

In theory, the difference in internal case capacity won't give consistant pressure/velocity/accuracy, but not enough to worry about as far as brass integrity goes - I get it all the time outa the HBAR.

That one one the right makes me go hmmmm .... almost like the cycle of the rifle is screwed up & allowed the chamber to be open too soon .... strange that the whole neck isn't the same (over)size .... just hmmmm, haven't seen that before.
Old July 10, 2000, 12:17 AM   #6
JackFlash

The neck on the right looks belled, but it also looks slightly stretched -- a bit longer in the neck than the others. Could be the way they're sitting.

I load range "pick-ups" a lot. You need to make sure the case has no burrs that might scratch the die. My 1911 dents the case with the edge of the ejector port. No big deal unless you're doing bench rest competition.

As for belled cases and long necks, invest in a quality STEEL verneer caliper for checking specs on cases.
Old July 10, 2000, 01:29 AM   #7
jtduncan

Good advice from the above. Nothing to add.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG