The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 20, 2015, 09:17 PM   #1
Jay24bal

Does the length of the fore end matter?

So, I posted a similar thread over in the general rifle section, and did not get any responses. Don't know if that is because my assumption is correct, if no one has any thoughts, or if I am so off-base that it is not worth a response. I figured I would try it here in the Smithy section for those that work on rifles a lot more than I do:

I am working on a build for a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Savage action, and have a 26" barrel on order. I will be using a chassis instead of a traditional stock, and I like the MDT LSS model.

On their website, they specifically say that they do not recommend it for "longer barrels to be shot over 900 meters" as the for end is shorter than normal. They offer an LSS-XL model that has a 3" longer fore end and that is what they recommend for longer barrels.

So my question is this: why does the length of the fore end matter if the barrel is free floated from the recoil lug forward? Is it simply a balance issue?

I will only be shooting this gun off of bags or a rest, so balance does not really concern me.

Any reasons anyone knows of as to why this would adversely affect accuracy or matter at all?

Thank you

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 20, 2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Sharkbite

The longer fore end will reduce teeter totter on the bags or bipod.

I have a MDT LSS stock on a 308, i just got. I LIKE IT.

If they recommend the longer version, id take that advise.
Old July 21, 2015, 06:03 AM   #3
10-96

And just maybe... with excessive weight towards the noisy end, they may not have reinforced the stock in the action area. So, there could be a bit of instability or flex there if they did not engineer for it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 21, 2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Mobuck

The further forward the front support is, the less muzzle wobble you'll have.
Old July 22, 2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Jay24bal

Thanks for the responses guys. I figured balance was the biggest issue.

As for the stock not being sturdy enough in the action to handle the excessive weight of the barrel, I did not consider this, especially with a 26" long 1" bull barrel. The MDT LSS is machined out of billet aluminum though, and is designed to accept bull barrels up to 1" in diameter, so I would imagine it would be sturdy enough to handle it. Especially in a rather soft recoiling caliber like 6.5 Creedmoor that I am using.

The issue I am debating is that the LSS-XL or their other model with a longer fore end is not made for my gun yet, but is listed as "coming soon." The donor action is a Savage Axis, not a regular Savage action, and MDT is the only company I am aware of making a chassis system for the Axis. So I need to decide if I should wait for the LSS-XL or HS3 to be available or just try the LSS. I did email them asking if they know when it will be available and they do not have a date yet, but are hoping for fall of 2015.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old August 12, 2015, 07:43 PM   #6
cdbeagle

Never thought about that question before. I'm going to ask my Rabbi.