The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
2GunCorcoran

To open carry or concealed carry. That is the question.

As a disclaimer, let me say that I have nothing against open carry, and I think it should be legal in all 50 states.

This is an open question to all those who open carry. Why do you do it? I've heard a thousand gun owners on why CCW is the best thing to be invented since the firearm itself, but I want to hear your side of the story. What are the advantages to carrying openly rather than concealed?
Old December 12, 2011, 09:52 PM   #2
jlbpa

A friend open carries in here in Kentucky. We walked into walmart here and where ever else we went that day I was with him and nobody said boo. Sometimes it's just more comfortable. Especially in the summer.
Old December 12, 2011, 09:56 PM   #3
JiminTexas

I lived in Alaskafor about 13 years and up there it didn't really matter how you carry. They tried passing laws about this at one time,but it didn't last too long. I don't know for sure if there are laws concerning open or concealed carry now, but if there are, they are just ignored by all. The standing rules that are/were observed by all were very much like concealed carry rules here in Texas. You don't take your gun into a bank, a bar, a church, a public or govenment building or a hospital. If there is a sign on the door that says don't bring it in you either don't go in or you surrender it to the owner/manager/person in charge when you go in. I chose to open carry. The reason was that I believed that it would prevent arguments from even starting. I don't know if it actually prevented any arguments from starting. If it did, how would I know? That is not to say that I never got into an argument. It just means that my gun was never a part of any of those arguments. But that's the way I thought about it. I carried a gun and everyone in our village knew it. A number of other people carried as well, some open, some concealed, but everyone knew who they were. Which is another good reason to open carry.If everyone knows you have a gun, why try to conceal it? In that thirteen years I never heard a shot fired in anger. There were no gunfights, no murders, no armed roberies and I never heard of anyone pulling there gun on anyone, although I did have a woman pull a shovel on me once. I'll tell you for sure, even if you do have a gun, you 9don't mess with an angry woman with a shovel in her hands.
Old December 12, 2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Niantician

I do a compromise of the two, i carry owb. And to an educated person, I'm printing a little. But not enough so that you can tell what type of gun, (or if its even a gun) is under my shirt.
Old December 14, 2011, 05:02 PM   #5
JiminTexas

"I do a compromise of the two, i carry owb. And to an educated person, I'm printing a little. But not enough so that you can tell what type of gun, (or if its even a gun) is under my shirt."

I don't know about CT, but in TX if you are printing at all, you are under arrest and you can kiss your CCW permit goodbye! Police officers here are pretty much "educated persons" in that regard. Good luck.
Old December 14, 2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Jim March

I only have one carry gun, and it's a big one. So in a Tucson summer at 105F, ask me if I like putting a jacket over it...
Old December 14, 2011, 06:32 PM   #7
jimbob86

I OC sometimes .....

1. Because I can. A right not excercised is like a muscle: unused, it will wither.

2. It is more comfortable with a full sized gun.

3. It makes Nancy Pelosi cry.

4. If people see you carrying a gun and acting completely normal, maybe it will counter some of that Hollywood/Video game mindset that because there is a gun present, somebody is going to get shot.....
Old December 14, 2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Niantician

Open carry s legal in ct. And our permit to carry pistols and revolvers does not specify or differenciate between open or concealed carry, or anything in between.
Old December 14, 2011, 09:05 PM   #9
(*_*)

I dont want anyone to know my capability. I concealed carry. I also dress very conservatively and tend to try my best to blend in at the edge of the crowd. If no one remembers I was there I consider it a win.
Old December 14, 2011, 09:12 PM   #10
hardworker

If it's legal, do what you prefer. You're gonna get answers for both sides of the debate, and no conclusions will be drawn. You're obviously curious, so do it and see what happens.
Old December 14, 2011, 09:30 PM   #11
JayCee

Unless you open carry with at least a Level II retention holster, you run the risk of having your gun taken from you when you least expect it. This could put you in a very sticky situation, and is probably the biggest reason that open carry in an urban setting isn't a very good idea.

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old December 14, 2011, 09:49 PM   #12
ak2323

Quote:
I don't know about CT, but in TX if you are printing at all, you are under arrest and you can kiss your CCW permit goodbye! Police officers here are pretty much "educated persons" in that regard. Good luck.
Not true. If it is accidental printing you're fine. If you're wearing a tight lycra top (ahem) and carrying a G21 then yeah, you're in trouble.

Read the case law, meet some cops...
Old December 14, 2011, 11:51 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

The usual answer seems to be that the carrier doesn't give a rat's patootie what others think, he is going to make an "in your face" statement and nobody better try to stop him!

IMHO, not a good attitude at all. Even if some folks don't get upset by seeing an open gun, many others will, and they can vote and influence others - or run screaming for the police to shoot that bad man with the gun.

When I was a LEO we were ordered to ALWAYS conceal our guns when in plain clothes to prevent just that kind of problem. In the summer, a loose shirt or baggy tee will do. "Printing" is not too important (except in some states), only someone who knows what to look for will notice, that anti-gun "nervous Nellie" won't.

Jim
Old December 15, 2011, 12:46 AM   #14
bamaranger

open carry

open carry........shoot me first.
Old December 15, 2011, 12:53 AM   #15
HKFan9

Only in the woods.. in the civil world I cover it up.... I think open carry is a double edged sword..

90% of our customers who open carry regularly do so for the wrong reasons (to look and act macho). The last thing any of us need is macho man wiz bang running around with a Glock on his hip in an open top holster infront of all the Anti's.

I also think it develops poor mindset and training habits. There is only someone preaching the "the bad guy see's my gun on my hip.. hes gonna move on." Personally I think this is flawed logic on many levels, and if you have something they want badly enough they are gonna grab your gun (because most people are trained in a retention grab) or just flat out shoot you before you ever knew it was coming.

I am not saying this is every open carrier.. but lets face it... there are probably more wiz bangs out there that have firearms.. than there are responsible people that have firearms... a trip to the local game land range proves my theory.
Old December 15, 2011, 01:58 AM   #16
kozak6

I'm in Arizona, where open and concealed carry are both lawful.

It seems to me that the only real reason to carry openly is comfort, which is entirely reasonable.

If you can carry concealed, you might as well.
Old December 15, 2011, 08:01 AM   #17
CajunBass

I'm about a 50/50 split. When I open carry it's more a matter of being too lazy to worry about covering up. That's mostly in the summer. This time of year, it's no trouble to pull a sweat shirt or a jacket over a gun. It's a bit more aggrivating trying to keep it covered in August.

I suspect someone wearing a cover garment in August in Virginia, and points south, stands out more than someone open carrying.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 15, 2011, 08:09 AM   #18
Skadoosh

Quote:
open carry........shoot me first.
open carry = shoot me first. There, I fixed it for you.

I also agree with you 100%. I will only ever CC even in a OC state.
Old December 15, 2011, 11:28 AM   #19
kdrf636

Depends on where I am. In Missouri, open carry is generally legal but you are subject to the local laws of the county or municipality. City = keep it concealed. Rural areas = show it off.

But even when open carrying, the one you see is just a distraction, it's the one you don't see that will get you.
Old December 15, 2011, 04:36 PM   #20
m&p45acp10+1

I do open carry in the woods when I am hog hunting. It is not easy to draw a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag with a 6.5 inch barrell from concealment. Nor is comfortable to try carrying that way.

I did once on accident open carry it on the way home from the range. I forgot it was in the holster on my hip. I went into a sandwich shop in a semi rural town. I even talked to two cops while I was waiting in line. Neither of them said a thing about it. It was in a leather cowboy rig too. I forgot to take the rig off, and did not even notice it till I got home and dressed down for a shower.
Old December 15, 2011, 07:53 PM   #21
ritepath

I open carry when hunting/hiking/fishing/jeeping/biking....pretty much anytime I'm out in nature.

The rest of the time I OWB conceal carry...it's comfortable sitting, standing, bending over, buckled in, or any other way I may want to move my body. I move about in Virginia and West Virginia most so printing doesn't matter. No one notices, and if they do they must not care, not that I'd care either way.
Old December 15, 2011, 08:23 PM   #22
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just to clarify. My coments on open carry did not apply to carry in the woods, on private property, or while hunting. I just don't think some fake macho "hero" swaggering down the street in a town, playing with the gun on his hip and scaring the bejeezus out of folks, does the gun rights cause any good. Abusing a right is a sure way to lose it; "it is my right" is all too often a prelude to "not any more."

Jim
Old December 15, 2011, 09:10 PM   #23
bedbugbilly

I'm also in AZ (for the winter months) and am just south of Tucson. I have an AZ CC permit even though one is not required. In my way of thinking, it really is not a big issue (in AZ). I see open carry quite frequently and you really don't give it a thought. I can honestly say that I've never seen anybody open carrying out here that wasn't acting responsibility or who had the appearance of "having their act together" - both men and women.

If I were here in the summer (as one poster mentioned) it's just too hot to wear a jacket, etc. to cover. I carry in a holster on the belt. If the weather (when I'm in AZ) permits a shirt or jacket that covers it, then fine. If I "print" - I don't worry about it. I somethines carry a snubbie (Ruger LCR)and other times a semi-auto (Ruger SR9) and of course the size of pistol you are carrying is going to make a difference on how "noticable" it is. I've tried carrying in the waistband and I find it uncomfortable - it's just a personal thing.

For me, it's not a case of open carrying or semi open carrying to let others know I am armed nor a "power thing". It's just fairly common to see someone opencarrying out here and I also know that there are a tremendous amount of folks who are carrying concealed or have one in their car. I know a great number of women who carry. It's just not a big deal and that's the way it ought to be in all 50 states.

A month or so ago, my wife and I were sitting in the waiting room of a car wash. I was not carrying that day. Of the seven other folks who were sitting int he waiting room with us waiting for their cars to get done, four were open carrying - two gentlemen who looked to be in their 80s had small semi-autos on their belt, a gentleman who looked to be a "rancher type" who looked to be 50 or so had a S & W revolver on his belt and when they called a woman to tell her that her car was finished, she got up and I saw a holster on her belt when her coat pushed back as she was getting up - she looked to be in her 40s.

I know that there are those who are "scared" of guns who get upset when they see someone carrying one (other than LE). Myself - I just feel more comfortable when I see what I did at the car wash. I know that if something were to "go down" - there are civilians around who could put a stop to it if necessary if no LE were present. Just my thoughts.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 15, 2011, 09:27 PM   #24
Therealkoop

The only time I suggest somebody open carry is when they are prohibited from concealed carry.

There is no advantage aside from comfort (and draw speed), and even that is a stretch with a good IWB holster and belt.
Old December 16, 2011, 02:50 AM   #25
jhco50

It seems odd to me, to see so many in the gun community turn on their own for their preference of carry.

I see so many brag up concealed carry, but do you realize, you had to pay for your right? Not only did you pay for a right, you are registered with your government as a gun person. That doesn't make me tingly all over. I guess because I don't trust the government. All it takes is a stroke of a pen and people with licenses will be rounded up and their guns taken. When you registered, you created a privilege...a privilege to carry.

On the other hand, our Constitution and those of many of the states give us the "right" to carry openly. Of course it can be taken away as well, but it is a might harder because they would have to fly in the face of an actual right.

I carry openly. I see no reason to give the county I live in a couple of hundred dollars every few years for the privilege of carrying my firearm. Sure it will upset some on the streets and if they new CCH were armed they would still be upset. I don't open carry to make any statements, except to leave me alone.

I am an older gentleman (depending on who you talk to) and I have chosen to excersize my God given right. I don't want someone telling me I'm doing it wrong when I am not. If you guys wish to pay to CC, that is fine. I don't wish to and the laws say I don't have to.

Tags
concealed carry , open carry , self-defense , tactics