The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 27, 2010, 08:31 AM   #1
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
Charter Arms dbl barrel sxs??

Hey Everyone,
I just recieved a dbl barrel as a gift and upon close inspection I am a bit concerned. while the gun feels very solid and the weight is very nicely distributed, the gun is very poorly machined with a lot of sharp rough edges and shavings/ metal slivers all inside its receiver and the forearm has to be forced on. I have spent over 2 hours just filing off the rough spots in the guns trigger and ejector areas! I haven't even fired a shot out of it yet and I'm already working on it, this really makes me worry. My question is: Does anyone else have one of these guns and if so was yours in as poor a condition new in box? Please note that after a few minor adjustments the gun seems to be working properly but everything is stiff and way to tight. Also will it work its self out and function smoother with time? Thanks for any help/ suggestions ahead of time.
Old September 27, 2010, 09:31 AM   #2
jhog1

Don't think I've ever seen a CA shotgun I know they had a rifle sold under I think Charter 2000 ? Does it say where it was made ? most likely Turkish or Russian.

Last edited by jhog1; September 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old September 27, 2010, 10:16 AM   #3
oneounceload

Quote:
I have spent over 2 hours just filing off the rough spots in the guns trigger
I hope you didn't polish off the sears while doing that or inadvertently something else as delicate.......

Somewhere on the gun will be the name of the company - not necessarily the maker - and the country of origin. There should also be some designations as to the choke in each barrel if it doesn't have removable choke tubes
Old September 29, 2010, 02:00 PM   #4
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
jhog1,the markings say that this gun is Chinese in origin made for Charter Arms by a ^%#^%#$% foundry I can't get any clearer because its in Chinese, and oneounce, no I did not polish off the sears! The rough edges I removed were left over from casting and milling! They are all over the inside workings of this gun from the trigger and hammer mechanisms to the reciever and forearm latch. I have put approx. 7 hours into the gun and it is finally operating and looking like a well made firearm should but I haven't even started on the cheap waxed over wood pieces yet! At least the wood is walnut, I can sand, rechecker and stain that! Back to the original question " Has anyone seen a gun in this poor a condition NIB? The chokes are full lft barrel and improved rt barrel
Old September 29, 2010, 02:14 PM   #5
BigJimP

Yes, I've seen similar issues on guns made both by ...
Baikal and Huglu ....unfortunately ....( not mine thankfully ) - but I was taking them apart to help a couple of young shooters to get them to work properly. Both of them were NIB ...

I don't have any experience with charter arms guns ...

Just a note: but I've seen similar issues on power tools made in china as well - like Rikon bandsaws ...being made in China ... and Grizzly saws made in China or Taiwan - and sold thru a number of retailers. I was helping a friend put together a Rikon bandsaw ....and the casting and machining quality on the wheels, table, etc were pretty bad ....( he bought it based solely on price ..) ...and the amount of things we had to fight to get it to fit were pretty amazing.

Last edited by BigJimP; September 29, 2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old September 29, 2010, 07:31 PM   #6
zippy13

>but everything is stiff and way to tight.
It's not uncommon for hinge guns to be stiff when new. Better tight than loose -- tight will loosen with wear -- loose won't tighten. Make sure the bearing surfaces are immaculately clean and start with a light lube. Clean and re-lube frequently.

Years ago, one of my club's trap shooters had a new Perazzi single barrel that was new-gun tight. Not wanting to stress the gun, he developed the habit of opening it by putting the muzzle behind his knee, supporting the the pivot area in his left hand and applying a light steady pressure with his right hand at the heel. The new P-gun eventually eased up, but the shooter maintained his awkward looking opening procedure. You could identify him from across the club by his leg-over.