The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2008, 08:32 PM   #1
JAYBIRD78

Simple mistake........with primers

Found 50 rounds of .357 that I had loaded months ago and fired them this weekend. 3 out of 50 I did not seat the primer fully and it took two strikes to fire. Just a reminder to pay attention at all times and seat those primers home.

I did notice and waited 10 seconds or so before the second strike pointing down range of course.

BE SAFE
Old August 24, 2008, 10:36 PM   #2
langenc

Every once in a while I get a round that dont go bang-usually cheaper 22LRs.

I always keep downrange for 20-30 sec and then remove from chamber and try again. Most often it goes bang.

Who has ever had one 'cook off'? (that is go off while eaiting 30 sec or so).
Old August 24, 2008, 11:12 PM   #3
totalloser

My owners manual from one of my semis warns of a cook off as the heat from dumping off a couple mags being making the barrel hot enough to light one off randomly. Never heard of it happening to anyone, but it only has to happen once! "Accidents" don't happen with firearms, only negligence. When I read that, I had to think back on just how careful I was as a kid hosing off endless 30 rounders out of my Mini 14. Sent a chill up my spine as I wasn't really sure!

I have had a 9mm touch off a couple seconds after I pulled the trigger. Some true junk ammo. I was about to cycle it out.
Old August 24, 2008, 11:13 PM   #4
BntBrl

theres a regualr at the range the other day had one not go off. He was trying to clear it out of the chamber when it went off and downrange it went, right into the dirt. It was a good 15 or 20 seconds after he had pulled the trigger.

In my ruger 10/22 heavybarrel I get federals that dont fire all the time. I dont like federals. rarely do cci not fire. the federals I pull the bolt back just a little bit until I hear the hammer and then fire again, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 sometimes it never fires. Federals dont get eaten well in my rifle. I suspect its a federal thing. All other rounds go fine in my ruger.
Old August 25, 2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Sevens

Funny thing about rimfire ammo and FTF's that I've found--
It's different from each person you ask. It really is. And I don't think anyone is ever saying anything other than the truth, it just seems like we each have different experiences across the board with junky, bulk rimfire fodder.

For me, I've tried many thousand rounds of Winchester, Remington, Federal and CCI rimfire bulk junk ammo. Over a couple decades and countless bricks and boxes and "bulk packs" of ammo, I can say confidently that Remington's cheap crap has BY FAR served me the worst. More FTF's and seemingly inert Remington rounds than all others.

A range officer at one of the places I've frequented has horrible luck with CCI ammo and swears it's the stuff he just has more bad luck with than any.

The rimfire ammo I've bought more of than anything over the years has been Federal and it's treated me better than the rest. I used to shoot a lot of Winchester T22 Target when I was a competitive smallbore shooter and it never let me down.

I've never had a cook-off and I've never had a hang-fire.

With regards to primer seating at the bench for center fire rounds, I've gotten in to the habit of feeling each round with the tip of my thumb to check for consistency. Even better is to run the ram all the way down before flaring a case mouth and letting the press "confirm" that the primer is seated flush. It's like an extra step, but it's not much work since the case is already there in the shell holder.