The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2009, 07:59 PM   #1
tpareloader

SP Magnum Primers in 40sw

SP Magnum in 40sw REPORT:

I just got back from the range with some CCI #550's in my 40sw

I wasn't sure if they would work due to the lack of data, but after some research I found others were trying it. I picked a middle of the road powder, as far as burn rate is concerned, universal clays. I was shooting rainier 165gr TMJ-FP bullets, and as previously stated CCI #550 small pistol magnum primers as they were all I had.

I had no chronograph and was simply working off of feel and checking for signs of over pressure.

I was comparing them to factory 165gr winchester target loads and they all cycled perfectly, showed no signs of over pressure, and induced less recoil. I shot them out of my SW model 410 and a friends USP 40. They worked flawlessly.

I'll have chronograph data on them in a few weeks and post accordingly.

5.2gr of universal clays
165gr rainier TMJ-FP
CCI #550 SP primer
winchester once fired brass

COL= 1.125"

very minimal crimp using lee factory crimp die

Great plinker, try at your own risk as always but if you have to use a magnum primer this load should work fine.

Last edited by tpareloader; June 4, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Shoney

tpareloader

The load of "5.2gr of universal clays; 165gr rainier TMJ-FP" is nearly the minimum charge.

Just curious why you didn't load 5-10 at 5.2, and 5-10 at 5.5, and 5-10 at 5.8, and test?????

Quote:
tpareloader wrote:
very minimal roll crimp using lee factory crimp die
The 40SW is designed to have a taper crimp, I am unaware of a 40SW die that comes in roll crimp. Are you sure you have a roll crimp die???

You are correct that a minimal crimp should be used with plated or lead bullets. For best results the seating depth and the crimping should be done in seperate operations.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old June 4, 2009, 10:31 PM   #3
tpareloader

Quote:
The load of "5.2gr of universal clays; 165gr rainier TMJ-FP" is nearly the minimum charge.

Just curious why you didn't load 5-10 at 5.2, and 5-10 at 5.5, and 5-10 at 5.8, and test?????
The reason why I didn't go up too much is because I was using magnum primers and the 5.2gr minimum is for standard primers so I was just being careful as there is no posted data for minimums for magnum primers (atleast that I could find) in 40sw using universal powder.

I loaded up all 10 test rounds with 5.2gr because I felt it would be a safe bet and I don't care to test the maximum limits of the round as I just wanted a plinking round to use up my 100 magnum primers while I wait for my standards to come in the mail via natchezss.com(i'm all out!! )

And you are right it was a taper crimp not a roll crimp and I have a seperate seating die and factory resizing die. (4 die process.. size, flare/charge, seat, crimp). Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by tpareloader; June 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old June 4, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Smogdude

I started with the min charges with AA#5 using CCI 550's in my Sig P226 using a speer 180 gn gold dot HP. Switched to 6.8-6.9 gns #5 with a 165 gn rainier plated HP. I've loaded 3-400 with this recipe while alternating to Winchester SP mag primers. Congrats... I shot my first reloads a few weeks ago, Loaded one round per mag and disassembled my sig after the first 5.. After that I went off the dust cloud the projectile left.
Old June 4, 2009, 11:18 PM   #5
tpareloader

I'm glad to see other brave souls trying their luck with the magnum primers in 40sw loads. I have read other forums with people saying no way to magnum primers in .40 due to pressure issues. I say as long as the powder is not super fast burning you're ok.