The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2008, 07:01 PM   #1
bestbod85

Just took out the new shotty and.....

I LOVE IT!!!, over the weekend i went to the local gunshop and saw a new hawk 870 clone in 12 ga (norinco) and was impressed by the fit and finish - nicer than the other 870 clones i've seen, 18.5" imp cyl bbl with ghost ring sight and they even threw in a buttstock shell holder for $175 brand new, out the door!!! i couldn't pass it up. well i took it out today to break it in, i ran 250 rounds of 7 1/2 birdshot through it, and it functioned flawlessly, but man did that barrell heat up after about 100 rounds in about 30 mins . i had so much fun. it's action was a little tighter than my mossy but not by much, i'm def. getting a heat sheild for it.

I'm curiouse, why do the norinco 870 clones get such a bad rap? from what i can tell they are great shooters - it's now my truck gun , anyone else had success with these guns? like em'? - don't like em'?
Old April 11, 2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Tomac

Nice range report, where are the pics??? It's been my experience that most negative reactions to Norinco products have been from those who have absolutely no experience with them but the words "Made in China" sends them into a blathering rant about supporting communism, slave labor, "crap products", etc ad naseum (how many of them have absolutely nothing from China in their homes?)
Well, here's my NEF Pardner Pump Protector (made by Norinco). Just got back from the range where it handled 3 dozen mixed field & heavy buck loads w/o difficulty. Max100's +2 mag tube extension was easy to install and worked perfectly at the range. Didn't change the gun much, added a 4-shot sidesaddle, the +2 mag tube extension, fiber optic bead & a Streamlight TLR-1 on a Laserlyte rail mount. Action has smoothed considerably w/just the few dozen times it's been worked and it shoulders perfectly for me (YMMV). Only time will tell if it ends up being as rugged & reliable as the two Norinco Hawk 88 shotguns sitting in my gunsafe that my son & best friend have been abusing for years but so far I'm a happy camper!
Tomac
Old April 11, 2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Te Anau

Will 870 parts or accessories fit these "clones"?
Old April 11, 2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Joat

A lot of the Norinco clone shotgun bashing comes from the clones of the Winchester model 97 they brought in. The first 2 batches had some serious problems with consistency of heat treating on the parts. A lot of CAS shooters had problems and won't look at a Norinco shotgun for love or money.

Joat
Old April 11, 2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Tomac

A number of 870 parts/accessories will fit but not all of them (were you thinking of something in particular?). Many stocks, recoil pads & sidesaddles will fit for certain but it also depends upon which clone you've got. For example, my older Hawk 88 clones will take the Remington R3 Limbsaver recoil pad but my new NEF Pardner Pump won't. HTH...
Tomac
Old April 13, 2008, 10:20 PM   #6
bestbod85

well it's been a few days so i thought i'd update, i'm sorry but still no pics (will post after i get my heatsheild in the mail). i have put this gun through the ringer in the last week - i've shot exactly 1,000 rounds of 7 1/2 birdshot through it ( about $200 !!!)and about 50 rounds of 00 buck, not one malfuction, i am thoroughly impressed!!!, the only bad thing i can say about this gun is that it is only 2 3/4 chamber, so no 3" shells. but other than that it is a very nice truck gun.