The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 17, 2014, 01:31 AM   #1
Knoggin

sks

I bought a sks china made rifle serial number 89128-- Arrnco Boyl.What is it worth and what year is it?
Old February 17, 2014, 06:31 AM   #2
Garycw

Pics would help. There should be other markings also if its a type 56 or from arsenal 26 within the triangle. Condition means alot as well. Generally right now they're in the $300-$400 range.
Check this link out
http://www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm.BAK
Old February 17, 2014, 04:12 PM   #3
tahunua001

worth no more and no less than any other chinese SKS. $250 to $350 depending on condition. I have no idea what arrnco boyl is but I'm guessing it's probably trench art or an importer mark depending on whether that is found etched in the metal or carved in the wood. assuming it's factory 26, 89,000 range puts it in the first year of production but still not low enough number to be historically significant. the correct bayonet for a rifle of that year should be the blade type rather than the spike.
Old February 17, 2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Knoggin

my sks looks rough but shoots great.Where can I buy another 30 round clip?
Old February 17, 2014, 09:25 PM   #5
tahunua001

just about anywhere. the SKS originally used a fixed 10 round magazine so I'm guessing that you no longer have the original. that hurts value a bit.

I personally prefer the fixed mags to detachable. sportsmans warehouse, cabelas, midway usa, and any of the other big stores are bound to have 30 rounders in stock.
Old February 17, 2014, 10:32 PM   #6
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoggin View Post
my sks looks rough but shoots great.Where can I buy another 30 round clip?
The Tapco 20 rnd mags work well if using detachable mags. The 30's, 40's & 75 drums are a little cumbersome. There's also 20 rnd fixed Mags if you're lucky enough to find one.
Old February 17, 2014, 10:58 PM   #7
Dc777

30 rounders are easy to find. I have p mags and haven't had any trouble out of them. As far as the 40 rounders and drums go, well that's a different story.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:37 AM   #8
Knoggin

How far is a sks accurate?When does it start dropping?Can a scope be put on one?
Old February 18, 2014, 12:45 AM   #9
Dc777

I have a scope on my " tactiCool" sks. You need to understand that the 7.62x39 isn't what most of us would call an " accurate" round. I wouldn't ever feel comfortable shooting a deer at more than 100 yards with my sks. Even a 75 yard shot would worry me. There's a huge difference in a rifle that was built for war, and a gun that was built to be accurate..... Back in those days anyway. What are your intentions for your sks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (109.7 KB, 20 views)

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:49 AM   #10
tahunua001

Quote:
How far is a sks accurate?When does it start dropping?Can a scope be put on one?
it depends from rifle to rifle. the quality control it saw during production, the amount it was shot in service and the maintenance it saw during service all come into play. then there is the sights. the factory SKS sights are not easy to shoot accurately with and mounting scopes is tricky to do and get a stable platform. it's a tradeoff. either you are stuck with a wobbly scope mount that replaces the dust cover or you have one that bolts to the side of the receiver and is slightly offset making for an awkward cheekweld. I personally added tech sights to mine. it replaces the rear sights with a peep much like the ones found on the M1 garand which make it easier to shoot accurately with iron sights. I regularly shoot out to 200 yards with mine and ring steel gongs every time.
I would also like to point out that past 200 the x39 does not have enough energy to be of much use to anyone and accuracy becomes very iffy.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:36 AM   #11
Knoggin

I plan on using it for coyotes.I am pretty accurate at 100 yards.Would I be better off with a 22 mag?
Old February 18, 2014, 11:52 AM   #12
Dc777

You can take a coyote with it at 100 yards. Just experiment with different brands of ammo and see what setup groups the best. As far as the .22 mag goes, is it legal in your area to hunt coyotes with a rimfire? Don't forget to research the .17hmr. It is more accurate than the .22 mag... In my experience anyway.

Old March 3, 2014, 12:53 PM   #13
Prof Young

Woulda, coulda, shoulda . . .

Years ago when I was first getting into hunting and shooting I passed on an SKS for only $70!!!! Oops.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old March 4, 2014, 07:18 PM   #14
iraiam

It's difficult to date most Chinese SKS rifles by serial number unless it's a /26\ armory weapon.

Ammo can make a big difference with these rifles also, mine is accurate enough with surplus or "military" ammo, accurate enough to engage human sized targets to probably 300 meters. With my hand loads, I get much more accurate results.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason