The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 14, 2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Rifleman1776

build a 1911?

Some may have noticed I have, at times, slammed the 1911 as being an obolete style firearm. I stick to that opinion. However, I am a history buff and agree the 1911 to be an icon to American gun enthusiasts. Now, 'just because' I have a hankering to build a 1911 from parts. I am slightly handy fixing things on guns. Not a gunsmith and don't claim to be. Just kinda handy. My shop is not a machine shop, all woodworking. I know I would have to buy a few hand tools for the job, thats OK.
Question is: how difficult an undertaking would this project be? Do you reccomend for someone with a skill level of, say, 5 on a 10 scale? And, would there be a money savings doing this?
Old February 14, 2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on what you mean by "build". There are kits you can buy that essentially amount to "put it together" rather than "build", mid-level parts/kits that require lapping and final fitting, etc, all the way to 80% frames that require jigs and lathe and what-not.

One high end example
Old February 14, 2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Rifleman1776

Brian, I am thinking less ready that what is shown on that link. I would select and buy all parts from someone like Midway and 'sorta' customize as I went. For his prices one might as well buy a ready made.
Old February 14, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Slopemeno

Well, you're less likely to end up with something that works for starters. And no, I'd say you'd be money ahead by buying new or lightly used.
Old February 14, 2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Quentin2

At a skill level of 5 out of 10, assembling an AR-15 is quite doable. But a 1911 that you might some day want reliable, no way. I'd buy a complete, no frills factory pistol, maybe even a retro WWI or WWII design.

Unless you get screaming deals on parts, I don't see a cost savings either.
Old February 14, 2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Roughedge

I built a 1911 with Caspian Slide and frame with a barrel that had to be fit. I'm a gunsmith and I had 30 hours in it when it was complete. It was fun but to get a proper slide to frame fit it takes a little time.
Old February 14, 2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776 View Post
Brian, I am thinking less ready that what is shown on that link. I would select and buy all parts from someone like Midway and 'sorta' customize as I went. For his prices one might as well buy a ready made.

Yeah, you can certainly buy a ready made gun for that price but you can't touch THAT gun, ready made, for that price. That's a minimum $1800 gun, could be $2600 depending on options.

It depends on your budget and goals.
Old February 14, 2014, 10:45 PM   #8
SIGSHR

Building/assembling an M1911 would be a good learning experience. Those I know who have built BP guns from kits found there were no real savings but there was the satisfaction of doing it yourself and learning how they really go together, learning the finer points of fitting wood to metal, timing, spring adjustment, etc., in the case of the M1911, learning the finer points of fitting the slide, etc. Closer I have gotten is when I totally disassembled my Colt MK IV when the slide locked back, the usual methods did not work. Found the trigger mechanism was full of residue, a thorough cleaning restored it.
Old February 15, 2014, 09:03 AM   #9
g.willikers

Understanding the workings of a 1911, and being able to completely disassemble and reassemble one, is a lot different than building one.
At least check out the necessary tools first.
It would be hard to justify the costs of them for making just one gun.
Old February 15, 2014, 09:33 AM   #10
MarkCO

Woodworker with a skill level of 5...No go.

I have built several from forgings to pretty much drop ins, and there is a lot of platform functionality knowledge, metal working skill, craftsmanship that goes into them.

Even a semi-fit, you have to know how to pick the correct barrel link, fit the hood not to mention feedramps, extractor tension, etc.

If you really want to do it, my suggestion would be to sign up for one of the classes that teach you how. They run from about $1500 on up inclusive of parts and you actually get taught how to do it right, with the right tools. You end up with a 1911 that would cost you a little less if you bought the same features on a cataloged pistol and about the same as if you paid a gunsmith to build you a total custom. They are about a week long and will be an overall savings in time and money.