The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2012, 06:27 AM   #1
rebs

seating new primers ?

I have used the Hornady primer pocket reamer on about 100 lake city 5.56 brass, but I had a few that the new primer went in and seated with very little pressure. It just didn't seem like the normal pressure it took to seat the others. Could this be a problem as in the new primer not being held in the pocket tight enough ? Perhaps I am using the Hornady primer pocket reamer too aggressively ?
Old May 18, 2012, 08:06 AM   #2
RobertInIowa

I've noticed the same thing with some military brass. Some primers "catch" a little going in, others go in feeling like it was just too easy. Out of all the brass I've had this with I've never had a primer problem. It's possible you're a little too aggresive with the pocket reamer, but odds are they are o.k.

Have you inspected them for the seating depth? If that's o.k. I'd say go ahead and shoot them.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
rebs

Quote:
I've noticed the same thing with some military brass. Some primers "catch" a little going in, others go in feeling like it was just too easy. Out of all the brass I've had this with I've never had a primer problem. It's possible you're a little too aggresive with the pocket reamer, but odds are they are o.k.

Have you inspected them for the seating depth? If that's o.k. I'd say go ahead and shoot them.
yes the seating depth is fine.
Thank you for the reply
Old May 18, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4
snuffy

The Hornady "REAMER" simply removes the primer crimp. It does NOT remove any metal from the sides or bottom of the pocket.

Another tool for reloaders concerning primer pockets is the primer pocket uniformer. It deepens the pocket on the bottom of the pocket, also squares to edges of the pocket floor, but again, it does not remove brass from the sides of the pocket.

If that brass is easier to primer, it simply means it ( the brass), was fired with too high chamber pressure, the primer pockets are expanded. A primer is for all intents and purposes trapped in the pocket by the breech face. As long as it does not fall out before firing, it will work and usually not leak. However if it's really loose, it can fall out while being extracted. Only a real problem IF you're shooting a semi auto like an AR, if the primer falls into the trigger mechanism.

I would load and fire them, leaving them lay. Only if just plinking, where you can take the time to clear the jam caused by the primer getting jammed up in the trigger group.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 18, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
tobnpr

I run LC brass though my Hornday LNL press all the time without removing primer crimps, and have never had an issue.

When I first started doing them I expected the "crimps" were going to need removal, but that has not been the case.
Old May 18, 2012, 05:31 PM   #6
DeadCenter

I've found with of the processed LC brass I've bought that on the cases that the primer was a little difficult to seat that there was still a bit of the crimp left. But I've loaded hundreds of rounds of LC and haven't noticed any to loose... yet anyway
Old May 18, 2012, 05:51 PM   #7
rebs

Quote:
I run LC brass though my Hornday LNL press all the time without removing primer crimps, and have never had an issue.

When I first started doing them I expected the "crimps" were going to need removal, but that has not been the case.
Are your primers flattened out from primeing without removing the crimp ?
Some of the brass I have bought as once fired looks like it had been reloaded without removing the crimp because the primers are flattened out from being driven into the primer pocket. There are no signs of excess pressure on the cases.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:38 PM   #8
dickttx

To keep separate brass for a special test I picked out 20 9mm 08 pieces of GI brass a while back. All the primers seated easily with no reaming. Wondered, what the heck, at the time.