The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 3, 2014, 08:49 AM   #1
histed

Model 70 stock

I have a pre-64 Model 70 in need of TLC on the stock, The fore end is badly damaged and will likely need to be repaired using new wood. I THOUGHT the stock was walnut, but as I remove the finish I discovered it isn't. Anyone know what Winchester was using at that time? (No, I'm not terribly 'wood savy')
Old February 4, 2014, 12:51 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Birch and Sycamore have been used. If the wood has rays in it, it is most likely Sycamore. Birch is generally an all white wood, straight grain, with no rays.

Sycamore:

Yellow Birch:

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; February 4, 2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old February 4, 2014, 07:42 AM   #3
histed

Thanks, Dixie. This looks like birch
Old February 5, 2014, 07:33 PM   #4
jmr40

I'm not aware of anything but walnut on pre-64's. The cheaper grades of wood are commonly used on budget guns and on some post-64 versions of the model 70.

Try to post photos or have someone more experienced locally take a look. Some lower grades of walnut can have a light color that can be stained darker. It could well be walnut, just lighter colored than you were expecting.

I'd probably just replace the stock rather than repair anyway.
Old February 8, 2014, 12:34 AM   #5
longrange08

birch?

no way in he## there is birch on that gun. I own Spence gunsmithing in Dayton oh. Your more than welcome to call me in regards as i hate typing.i can also show you some of the pre 64's ive restored as credentials. But long story short. that isnt birch.IF its a pre 64 my name is Ryan Spence. my # is 937-580-1133
Old February 8, 2014, 12:44 AM   #6
Clark

I have a couple pre 64 M70s that I got cheap.

The rifles are only worth about $300 for functionality, but will sell for more ~ $500 to be custom modified, because of the cache.

The pre 64s that are un modified are worth $800 to $3,000.

I got one for cheap because the stock and barrel were not original.
I got another one for even cheaper because the stock was broken.

If I am going to function, I step right up to composite.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 9, 2014, 06:58 PM   #7
histed

Easy, longrange. Didn't mean to cause a fuss. I didn't think it could be walnut because it looked too light with the finish removed. Howsomeever, when I asked the local shop teacher about repairing the forearm, I was assured that it is most certainly walnut. Therefore, the problem is my lack of experience and expertise. Even 60+ year-old dogs can sometimes learn new tricks.
Old February 12, 2014, 12:24 AM   #8
longrange08

walnut

No fuss implied or taken if you ever have any questions or would like some tips on how to refinish it feel free to send me a email. [email protected]