The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Burch

45 colt shotshells

I`ve been having a little fun with 45 colt shotshells. I`ve heard you can convert a 444 Marlin casing to use in the 45 colt for shotshells. Does anyone know how this is done ?

Burch
Old March 23, 2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Never tried it, but assume you just cut the .444 case down to 1.6", use a roll crimp to retain the shot wad, put it in the gun and let it fireform to the .45 LC chamber. It should be narrow enough to let you get away with doing it that way. It is narrower than a .45 bullet at the end before trimming, for sure. Still, I would start the process with a very light load. 5 grains of Bullseye, maybe under 150 grains or so of shot?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 23, 2008, 09:03 PM   #3
BigJakeJ1s

I've been thinking about this off and on for a few months now.

Among the tools I've found is CH4D's neck-down die for making 45 acp blanks. It looks like you start out with 308 brass trimmed longer than 45 acp, then neck it down with this die to create the head spacing shoulder (then you use their star crimper on the neck). Looks like it might work with 460 s&w brass (trimmed to cylinder length) for 45 colt shot shells too. You might be able to do this with a 44 mag sizing die, but there's nothing supporting the case walls below the sizing ring in the die, so buckling seems likely.

Then I looked at a Hornady seat/crimp die for 44 mag, and it looks like it would put a roll crimp on the end of the neck (to hold an over-shot card), before the crimping/seating sleeve hits the shoulder.

Andy
Old March 23, 2008, 09:37 PM   #4
skipjack

I found this article a while back. I haven't tried it, yet.

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm
Old March 24, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Scorch

I have a set of RCBS dies for making 45ACP shotshells, and they work very well. One change I made was from 308 brass to 45 WinMag brass, which is just a smidgeon shorter than the trim-to length. I loaded shotshells for 44 Mag and 45 Colt using the same dies with a bit of trial and error.

You could write to RCBS and ask them if they make dies for making shotshells for 45 Colt. Since 454 Cassull and 460 S&W brass is availabe, it would make sense for you to start with one of those cases as your base brass.

One thing to be careful of in a revolver if you use a shot cup is that the edges of the wad can get jammed in the barrel-cylinder gap and jam up the gun. If this is for a single shot, there is no issue.
Old March 24, 2008, 03:43 PM   #6
Burch

I`ve just been using one .030 card over powder and one .030 card over shot. Then I add a drop of Elmer`s glue and spread it against the case edges with a tooth pick, no crimp needed. I got that idea from the same source Skipjack has provided us with. works like a charm. What I did was use a manual for 45colt loads, substitute the bullet weight for shot weighing it on my scales and using the MINIMUM powder charge. Oh, and by the way DON`T SHOOT THESE AGAINST ANY HARD SURFACE. We stood behind the gate and fence and shot it about 50 feet at some plywood, it splatterd the gate and fence. So make sure your using a target that is paper 5' X 5' with nothing behind it.
Old March 24, 2008, 05:13 PM   #7
saudst

Shot shells.

I must be missing something here. Does useing these special dies have an advantage over the shot capsule? It seems like more trouble not to mention wasteing all this brass, and the fact that with a capsule, the shot never touches the rifleing in your bore. I've been useing Speer shot capsules for years and they make a great snake load in my .44. You can get the caps from Speer, 50 to a box with loading info for $10-$12 per. Are the special dies and crimping better? Wouldn't this lead your bore?
Old March 24, 2008, 10:14 PM   #8
BigJakeJ1s

Quote:
I must be missing something here. Does useing these special dies have an advantage over the shot capsule? It seems like more trouble not to mention wasteing all this brass, and the fact that with a capsule, the shot never touches the rifleing in your bore. I've been useing Speer shot capsules for years and they make a great snake load in my .44. You can get the caps from Speer, 50 to a box with loading info for $10-$12 per. Are the special dies and crimping better? Wouldn't this lead your bore?
Awe, what's the fun in that? We'd rather re-invent the wheel!

I would assume that the plastic capsule has thicker walls than the brass, and it weighs something, so more/larger shot might be usable without the capsule?

Andy
Old March 25, 2008, 05:34 AM   #9
saudst

Ok Andy, I can but that, I didn't know they made the crimp dies availble the us. Does #12 shot lead your barrel? Skipjacks' article was interesting.